Firmware: Canon releases v1.4.0 for the Canon EOS R5

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
All this in firmware, all into one camera? This is what people are expecting?
This list compiles the various requests that many people have submitted in another thread. I don't think anyone is expecting all of these items to be addressed, but perhaps a few, yes. For instance, the option to shoot in ES at below 20 FPS is something that people mention as a request repeatedly, in this forum and others. It would not be unreasonable to expect that something like this would be possible to include in a firmware update, if Canon chose to do so. So far, they haven't, and that's OK. The R5 is an amazing camera as-is.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
I can't imagine anybody who has time to compile massive lists of "needed improvements" for the R5 is spending any significant amount of time actually using the R5.

But I do have a limited imagination.
Au contraire! The list is a compilation of feature requests from many different people, all of whom have used the R5 and found small areas in which it can be improved to make it an even better camera. No one has said that the requests are "needed," and why would they when it's such a great camera as-is?
I've used the R5 extensively since the first day it was released, and it's by far my favorite camera. I absolutely love it! It's because I love it so much that I hope Canon will continue to refine the camera for stills. I'd really only benefit personally from a very small number of the items in the list, but I have still found it interesting to see what features others are requesting. The variety of requests is a true testament to the fact that the R5 is extremely versatile, as it's being used in so many different ways.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
What about us photographers who could not care less what the video performance is
Then buy a different camera or be happy with the one you have?

Video is king and the R5 is a video centric mirrorless camera.

There’s absolutely nothing on the planet you can’t shoot with an R5, 5D4, 1Dx, etc.

Upvote 0
Looks like Canon might have tweaked the thermal limits - https://www.instagram.com/reel/CSwoeVhlBoI/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

I am running a test now on my R5 now to see.

Is it possible that the thermal limits were removed accidently. Theres something very odd in that video. The lens aperture is f/1.0 7/8
I know you can step in 1/8s in video mode but f/1.0 ??? Hard to tell what lens it is.

Wonder is that firmware a bit screwy and there'll be a 1.4.1 update pushed quickly...

Time will tell.

Edit - looks like the 50mm f/1.2

Upvote 0

addola

Sold my soul for a flippy screen
Nov 16, 2015
All the smart people that said it was just impossible to get that signal on the hdmi port. Guess they didnt know all that they claimed to know.
That’s exactly what I wanted to say because this surprised me. Many smart people claimed that the HDMI standard used on the R5 couldn’t support an 8K video signal.

Upvote 0

frjmacias

EOS R5 and EOS M50
May 14, 2020
Monterey, California
Finally got my R5 to show the overheating symbol recording 4K HQ 24fps. No question the record times have been extended with 1.4 update. Looking forward to seeing the results from others.
Do you have a YouTube or a social platform where you publish the results? Not that you have to, but I would definitely be interested in checking that out if you do.

Upvote 0

InchMetric

Switched from Nikon. Still zooming the wrong way.
CR Pro
Jun 22, 2021
Japanese companies don’t listen to suggestions from abroad. It’s not just a language issue (although that plays a huge part), but more that the opinions of foreign consumers don’t carry weight when it comes to balancing priorities for product improvements. Doesn’t matter how big the market is.
A well known figure in the industry said to me in a personal conversation that the Canon USA guys admit “they don’t even listen to us”.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

DWalla

5D Mark III
Mar 31, 2014
wish these video crybabies would just move on too Sony or etc for all these WISHES AND ETC
smh Canon Focus on what your company/brand was founded on PHOTOGRAPHY/STILLS & IMPROVING IT FOR EVERYBODY

Yes... everything is all about you.

R5 firmware 1.4.0 has a critical IBIS update that you may want to pay attention to.

Upvote 0