Firmware: Canon releases v1.4.0 for the Canon EOS R5

Aug 27, 2019
After how much time?
Update: Airflow was helping my results

About 2 maybe 3 hours of 29:59 recording that would stop and I would notice in a min or less. I have been formatting the CFe as well as swapping batteries but it has been pretty consistent recording.

Working from home so I am not able to 100% focus on it.

Letting my Camera cool now and see if I can be a little more like the test developer I play at work about testing this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
This list compiles the various requests that many people have submitted in another thread. I don't think anyone is expecting all of these items to be addressed, but perhaps a few, yes. For instance, the option to shoot in ES at below 20 FPS is something that people mention as a request repeatedly, in this forum and others. It would not be unreasonable to expect that something like this would be possible to include in a firmware update, if Canon chose to do so. So far, they haven't, and that's OK. The R5 is an amazing camera as-is.
Thanks, my bad for maybe not reading it thoroughly (as it had so much content and I had to rush off to do a task).

Upvote 0
A well known figure in the industry said to me in a personal conversation that the Canon USA guys admit “they don’t even listen to us”.
But I know a well known figure in the industry that said to me in a personal conversation that the Canon USA guys admit “they always listen to us”.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Update: Airflow was helping my results

I let me Camera sit and cool for a while and started testing again and I am getting some different results.

Camera Settings:
  • 4K HQ 24fps
  • Internal Recording to CFexpress card only
  • Screen out from the body
  • Rf 15-35 set to full auto
  • Shutter Speed = 1/50
  • Aperture = F2.8
  • ISO = 800
  • Canon log enabled - Log 3
Test Results so far:
  • First 29:59 no overheat symbol - Formatted the card and start again
  • Second Run overheat symbol seen at 12mins then went away for 10 mins. Overheat on at 22mins and stayed on till I hit second 29.59
  • Camera still on and flashing overheat symbol. Camera reporting I have 1min left - Time of posting I am 7mins into recording 3 clip and overheat symbol still flashing.
The temp in my room has gone up 4 degrees since this morning to be sitting around 29c.

Edit total Record time = 1h 12mins as of 4:23PM PST - Still going
Edit #2 Total Record time = 1h 30mins - the overheat symbol flashed the entire 29:59

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
I am not sure about the 5k raw on Ninja V. Their site says about Ninja V+ only. Anyway, the 10.68 appears only under Ninja V+ and not Ninja V. Let me know if you find out more.
By the way, how about the Tiltaing cooling system? Anybody has it yet? I am more interested in internal recording + cooling than Ninja V or V+. Too many elements for my running and gunning shooting style.
Kolarivision got a DIY kit (and a service) to put a copper plate inside the camera which (according to them and a youtube guy who did the same) doubles the recoding time.

You are right about the firmware - I hope atomos will release 10.68 soon for the Ninja V =)

Upvote 0
Aww, that’s a disappointment. I knew Atomos were being quiet about the bit-rate for 8K Prores RAW on the R5. 10-bit? Urgh. Despite plastering 12-bit all over the web but not DIRECTLY in regards to the R5. Really not sure what the point of 10bit 422 ‘RAW’ is. That 2.0 HDMI port and SATA combo is about five years behind the rest of the tech Canon and Atomos are installing. Why neither decided to use HDMI 2.1 on units designed to record 8K is beyond me.
I don't think that HDMI 2.1 ports/controllers were readily available at the time. The R5 design would have been locked in at least 18 months ago and HDMI 2.1 cables weren't available either. My understanding that the cables were only starting to be available at the end of last year and mostly for the PS/Xbox release.

Upvote 0
There is a very long list of features and fixes for stills put together here:

Please feel free to add requests to that thread. Here is a consolidated list of what has been requested so far:

AUTOFOCUS/MANUAL FOCUS REQUESTS

• Ability to make 1-point AF and Spot AF focus points smaller/more precise (i.e. pinpoint focus).
  • Ability to link metering mode to AF point spot.
Weren't the following added in version 1.3?
Ability to save/backup/restore camera settings to/from memory card
In the R5, ability to enable 1080p 120 fps mode.

Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
I'd like to understand the demand for GPS.
For me it's the best way to mark the exact spot where a photo was taken on a hike or kayak trip so that I can easily return to fruitful locations on future visits. Using the camera app doesn't work. At. All.

A) sometimes I don't have my camera with me, or on long hikes the phone is in airplane mode because there's no cell signal and if it's NOT in airplane mode the battery drains rather quickly because it's constantly looking for signal.

B) it simply doesn't work - I need it to tag every photo taken along the way during the day. What it really does is tag every photo with the coordinates of the location where I connected the phone to the camera. That really doesn't help, that's in a parking lot frequently miles from where I actually take the pictures.

Loved GPS on the 7DII and 5DIV. Fortunately I always use a Garmin watch to record hikes and similar trips, so I download the GPX data from Garmin Connect, import the track into Lightroom and tag all photos from the trip. Same result, a bit more work. I'd still prefer having it in camera. Hopefully it will find it's way back into future models.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Weren't the following added in version 1.3?
Ability to save/backup/restore camera settings to/from memory card
In the R5, ability to enable 1080p 120 fps mode.
Yes, they were. The post the list came from is dated August 26, 2020, and firmware 1.3 came many months later. It's an indication that Canon is incorporating popular features into its firmware roadmap to some extent, which is good news.

Upvote 0
Kolari did not post any numbers for 4KHQ, 4K60, or 4K 120.
Have you shot in any of those modes?
I’m doing quite a few tests. I don’t think theirs are worth anything IMO. They do everything IPB. I’m doing All-I with My tests as well as all different IS modes.

I’ve seen that IS off vs IS Enhanced is a big difference. I will post my results here in the next week.

Definitely invest in the Sony Tough Cards tho. Times are better with them than my Sandisk Extreme Pro.

Here’s one test I did though with start temp of 73 degrees.
4K60/All-I / IBIS + ENHANCED ON / Clog3
Stock: 40:41 and then after 5 min. 11:55
MOD: 50:29 and then after 5 min. 15:32

In a real world test, it will definitely vary from turning off and on more frequently.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Your argument is just as flawed as those wishing to have a less video focused camera.

There are tons of uses for having reliable geotagged pictures. I have many tens of thousands pictures made up and down a pretty long road on my different expeditions to explore that road over the years. Those made there without proper geotagging are much, much harder to use and/or find again.

Why in-body: it works! It's the only one that keeps working.

Why not the Bluetooth kludge: it disconnects and needs an iPhone and drain the battery of the phone.
Why not the GP-E2: I used to have one of those on a 5DmkIII: it sist where the flash goes , it needs power from an AA battery that if it goes low givss you no glaring warning in the viewfinder that you're taking pictures without GPS tagging. It needs special Canon software that's horrible to use to configure and/or to download tracks should you want/need them. And most of all: you need to turn it on yourself - which sucks as it can be forgotten and (happened to me a few times: be accidentally turned off during the day by handling the damned thing.
GPS is one of those novelty features that some love and others couldn't care less about. I see it as a battery drain that has no value for me and would be disabled 100% of the time.

I also do not like sharing my image locations to limit my hordes of followers from trampling the area I took my last image. Ok that is not really an issue but it could be:D

Upvote 0

SonicStudios

R5
CR Pro
Mar 4, 2020
Look in the sky, it's bird, it's plane, no it's a Ninja V+. Faster then a speed bullet (maybe), more heat resistant recording unlimited 8K then the R5 (Oh ya). Got the v+ and R5 running on DC couplers recording onto a Angelbird SSDmini 2TB I have about another hour and a half to go on the SSD hahahahahah

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0