Jared Polin's review of RF 100mm L Macro.

Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Lens that I need to own, and this time my wife wants it more than I do!!!

So things are looking good to get the acquisition request through the finance committee(my wife) (y)

Thanks @Chaitanya
Being single has its advantages, but thanks to supply issues my bank acocunt is happy right now. Though if Canon comes with APS-C RF mount camera then my bank account will feel the pain as this lens is high on list of lenses to buy for me.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Yes, I wish somebody with the fortitude to watch would summarize his conclusion here, and tell us if he mentioned the dreaded issue of focus-shifting.

Cheers!
No mention of focus shift, the main news is that the AF motors are a lot faster than the new Nikon Z 105mm macro. For the rest his review didn't have anything unexpected.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Some interesting examples of the SA function - you seem to need to stop down a bit to see any real effect - and he questions what you would actually want to use it for (and whether it has the effect of inflating the price for no benefit). The results all look pretty ugly to me, but I guess there may be practical uses.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Some interesting examples of the SA function - you seem to need to stop down a bit to see any real effect - and he questions what you would actually want to use it for (and whether it has the effect of inflating the price for no benefit). The results all look pretty ugly to me, but I guess there may be practical uses.
Is it something like the old 135 f2.8 soft focus?

Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
So had a chance to play with the lens a bit.

IMO if you are going for that out-of-the-camera dreamy look, then go ahead and use at a wide aperture. For general use I wouldn't do it.

However as Jared pointed out... it's worth checking at narrow apertures. The blur effect (on your main subject) greatly reduced as you stop down. And then your just effecting the bokeh (which because your stopped down is not that intense to begin with).

The only odd thing is that shooting the macro at say F11+full SA is not a what you see is what you get. The image in the viewfinder is greatly softened, when compared to the final image.

If someone (with more time than I have) does a side-by-side showing how SA effects different apertures it would be telling.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0