In a shocking development, Canon adds the EOS R3, RF 16mm f/2.8 & RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS USM to its list of products with a supply issue

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The arguments are raging whether the R3 is superior to the R5. Here is the answer that the unavailability of the R3 proves it is superior:

Proof that the unavailable R3 is far superior to the available R5
Advantages of the unavailable R3
Rolling shutter – non-existent
Overheating – No
Battery life – indefinite
Shutter life – infinite
Weatherproof – 100%
Need expensive CFExpress cards – No
Need expensive lenses – No
Sales tax – zero
Price gouging in UK – No
File size – zero
Weight – zero
Size – zero

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
The arguments are raging whether the R3 is superior to the R5. Here is the answer that the unavailability of the R3 proves it is superior:
Proof that the unavailable R3 is far superior to the available R5

Advantages of the unavailable R3
Rolling shutter – non-existent
Overheating – No
Battery life – indefinite
Shutter life – infinite
Weatherproof – 100%
Need expensive CFExpress cards – No
Need expensive lenses – No
Sales tax – zero
Price gouging in UK – No
File size – zero
Weight – zero
Size – zero
yes but can you crop it?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Weird...I got mine from the Canon site directly and pre-ordered the day before release. It shipped immediately.
Congratulations. My order was through B&H, one of many merchants that has to compete with their own supplier for product availability, in this case Canon, who in their infinite wisdom, decides to short change the very vendor trying to merchandise their products, in favor of maximizing profits. I am not picking on you. After waiting for months for B&H to acquire inventory on RF100-500, I watched this lens come and go three different times at Canon's store, all the while being notified by B&H numerous times every other week, they still had none to sell; so receiving CPW notice that Canon Store, once again had in stock, I purchased it directly, which cost me an add'l $216 in sales tax + a shipping fee for the privilege of having it right now. Then, in typical Canon fashion, even though their store shows it in stock, you order it, you're given an order confirmation, you then better say the right prayer that you actually get it due to Canon's very poor inventory control procedures. Even though I did receive the lens five days later, you, unfortunately cannot rely on their order process. I, currently have an EF-RF adapter order placed 3 weeks ago through Canon store, shown at time of order as in "stock", confirmed as in stock but then mysteriously, never shipped. In spite of showing "in stock", it never shipped and appears it's somewhere out there in Canon Limbo Land. When I didn't receive the adapter timely, I checked their site for my order number and saw they subsequently changed my in stock order to backordered. Who knows, if and when I might receive it or whether it might even be sold to someone else in the meantime? I have never had that problem with B&H, Adorama or other authorized vendors, when a product was shown as available. Puts a bad taste in your mouth for ordering direct.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

OneSnark

Canon Fanboy
Aug 20, 2019
I am a HUGE canon fanboy of 25+ years. Six dSLR bodies. . .a dozen plus lenses. . . . a bunch of flash units. . . . more Canon P&S's than I can count.

But frankly - The "R" series is leaving me cold.
It's one thing to make my entire EF glass collection obsolete. . . . but even if I *wanted* at this point to spring for $6 to $10K on a "R" kit - - -> I *can't* because the products are not available.

meh. . .ok. . . . .GAS has been quenched. . . . .

This pandemeic is saving me money left and right. . . I was due for a new car in late 2020. . . put it off to 2021. . . .now I am pretty sure I won't touch 2022's either. This is saving me all kinds of money. . . . which I will use to buy a loaf of bread. . . or maybe a 2x4.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Chances are these shortages will go on for a long long time. Covid, chip shortages due to the fire, ever increasing conflict with China (which will likely lead to much bigger issues than camera shortages) and economies around the world that will eventually tank as the entire global economy is a deck of cards at the moment just waiting for a tiny gust of wind to bring it crashing down. I reckon we should consider this the 'new normal'.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

WriteLight

Landscape and Architecture, R5
CR Pro
Mar 15, 2020
Des Moines, IA
Congratulations. My order was through B&H, one of many merchants that has to compete with their own supplier for product availability, in this case Canon, who in their infinite wisdom, decides to short change the very vendor trying to merchandise their products, in favor of maximizing profits. I am not picking on you. After waiting for months for B&H to acquire inventory on RF100-500, I watched this lens come and go three different times at Canon's store, all the while being notified by B&H numerous times every other week, they still had none to sell; so receiving CPW notice that Canon Store, once again had in stock, I purchased it directly, which cost me an add'l $216 in sales tax + a shipping fee for the privilege of having it right now. Then, in typical Canon fashion, even though their store shows it in stock, you order it, you're given an order confirmation, you then better say the right prayer that you actually get it due to Canon's very poor inventory control procedures. Even though I did receive the lens five days later, you, unfortunately cannot rely on their order process. I, currently have an EF-RF adapter order placed 3 weeks ago through Canon store, shown at time of order as in "stock", confirmed as in stock but then mysteriously, never shipped. In spite of showing "in stock", it never shipped and appears it's somewhere out there in Canon Limbo Land. When I didn't receive the adapter timely, I checked their site for my order number and saw they subsequently changed my in stock order to backordered. Who knows, if and when I might receive it or whether it might even be sold to someone else in the meantime? I have never had that problem with B&H, Adorama or other authorized vendors, when a product was shown as available. Puts a bad taste in your mouth for ordering direct.
Yeah, totally get it. I was surprised that they had it and even more surprised that it shipped right away.

Upvote 0