Canon registers a new RF mount lens

InchMetric

Switched from Nikon. Still zooming the wrong way.
CR Pro
Jun 22, 2021
I’ll try but she’s pretty firm on the subject. But I really love my 70–200mm F4. So compact, so great
Nothing wrong with "pretty" and "firm" in one's gal.

Incidentally, if you have joint finances, I suggest you give yourselves each a monthly "allowance" to spend in any way you wish without a joint decision. That can be a nice way to ease tensions over money.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
If it helps, think of it as a roadmap. They're announcing lenses far enough in advance of actual availability that you can plan a strategy. Avoids the 'impulse buy' because even if you preorder, you have plenty of time to change your mind...
Good point. For the next 6-12 months (and hopefully only that long), there are no product releases, only "completed development announcements."

Still, I empathize with people who have placed orders and are waiting. I know how frustrating that can be.

Upvote 0
Is your girlfriend providing the money for these lenses? Just asking.
No, she is not providing the money. It's all out of my pocket. But you know, there are ways "we could spent the money to enjoy things together" or "get more use out of, e.g. new furniture or something".

I do get that owning a 70-200mm and 100-500mm is absolutely overkill, but the 70-200mm makes awesome portraits and is great for hiking! The latter not so much. But for wildlife you need 500mm. Ahh, it's like Sophies choice for tele-lenses. Ahhh, gotta keep both ;)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The beginning of a nice collection lol
Lol, those are just a small part of the collection.

B5FE7379-ED8A-4CEB-A280-DE9005CF28CA.jpegC12D4530-5A7D-43CD-8A5B-592857A3BF51.jpeg

The RF lenses aren’t pictured, I’ll have to add them at some point. Hmmm, looks like the EF-M 32/1.4 isn’t there either. Definitely time for an update.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
No, she is not providing the money. It's all out of my pocket. But you know, there are ways "we could spent the money to enjoy things together" or "get more use out of, e.g. new furniture or something".

I do get that owning a 70-200mm and 100-500mm is absolutely overkill, but the 70-200mm makes awesome portraits and is great for hiking! The latter not so much. But for wildlife you need 500mm. Ahh, it's like Sophies choice for tele-lenses. Ahhh, gotta keep both ;)

My solution: A multi-year strategy.

First, I bought my wife a point and shoot with a superzoom, so she could take pictures of birds to ID them later.

Then, I bought her a 70D, so she could take better pictures of birds and use my lenses. That got upgraded to an 80D and then a 90D. Somewhere along the line, she appropriated my 100 macro and my 100-400. So I bought a second 100-400 so she wouldn't have to share with me.

Jump ahead to this spring. I had to order two R5s and two 100-500 lenses, plus the 800 f11 for her to use on her walks.

She doesn't complain (much) about my purchases, but it has gotten a lot more expensive for me. To add insult to injury, she's a better bird photographer than I am and has over a 1,000 followers on social media, while I have about five.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I agree on the drop in adapter. I've found I enjoy using some of my glass a lot more since getting one. I use a CPL a lot (shooting water) and it's nice not managing 4 different CPL's (from 58-95mm) in order to do so.
An interesting comment, JohnC and leads one to wonder if a dedicated RF drop in filter adapter is possible, an option that would add increased flexibility to existing RF lenses, especially at the ultra wide end. Perhaps our fellow CR engineering wizards can chime in here, as to whether the flange distance requirement or other engineering restrictions would negate this possibility. I have a large box full of various screw on filters that I rarely use, ranging from 52-95mm, as well as various adapters to hold the 100mm square filters.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013

First, I bought my wife a point and shoot with a superzoom, so she could take pictures of birds to ID them later.

Then, I bought her a 70D, so she could take better pictures of birds and use my lenses. That got upgraded to an 80D and then a 90D. Somewhere along the line, she appropriated my 100 macro and my 100-400. So I bought a second 100-400 so she wouldn't have to share with me.

Jump ahead to this spring. I had to order two R5s and two 100-500 lenses, plus the 800 f11 for her to use on her walks.

She doesn't complain (much) about my purchases, but it has gotten a lot more expensive for me. To add insult to injury, she's a better bird photographer than I am and has over a 1,000 followers on social media, while I have about five.
Well, unfocused, I think it's great, albeit expensive that your wife shares your enthusiasm and passion for photography. Something you have in common. My wife is a great gal but doesn't care anything about photography or camera gear. To her, her iphone is the perfect do all, end all camera. Our daughter used to love and embrace Canon's very small point and shoot cams but has now followed in her mom's foot steps, opting to use her cell phone, driven by its most convenient social media platform capabilities. To each his own, I say. They have both done their part in contributing to the decline of camera gear sales, leaving me to single handedly carry on the cause for real camera gear. I have no problem pursuing that endeavor and my bills from the likes of B&H, Adorama and more validate my passion. :giggle:

• Haha
Upvote 0

Sounds like a great, but expansive Plan :) I actually tried to lure her in with an RP, but she opted for the Samsung S20 ultra instead

*sigh…

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
I concur with your statement, John but think what Sanj is referring to here is, "Why come out with new lenses in a market where you are not even able to meet demand for already announced lenses?" Just adds more buyer frustration to the order process that further inhibits your ability to get older RF lenses. If you are unable to meet demand for it, which we understand, just hold off awhile until such time when you CAN meet demand.
Are you saying that I shouldn't have been able to use my 14-35 right now just because Canon didn't ship all those 100-500s some other people ordered?

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Since I`m not interested in any of the "not-yet-released-or-announced-lenses" on CR’s roadmap, I'm hoping for a lense that is such a huge surprise that absolutely nobody could’ve seen it coming. Something like a 35-135mm F2.8-4 or an 50-105mm F2-2.8 zoom or just something with a crazy feature :) or a killer astro lense (RF 12mm F2 where are you?)
“Huge surprise” + “Crazy feature” = Huge and crazy price!

Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
An interesting comment, JohnC and leads one to wonder if a dedicated RF drop in filter adapter is possible, an option that would add increased flexibility to existing RF lenses, especially at the ultra wide end. Perhaps our fellow CR engineering wizards can chime in here, as to whether the flange distance requirement or other engineering restrictions would negate this possibility. I have a large box full of various screw on filters that I rarely use, ranging from 52-95mm, as well as various adapters to hold the 100mm square filters.
I have a strong suspicion that it would have to be designed into the lens from the beginning. I believe adding one to the existing RF lenses wouldn't work if I understand your question correctly.

On another note, I do believe it would be beneficial to design ultra-wides (particularly those with convex front elements) with that capability. I suppose the use case isn't large enough overall to support that unfortunately.

Upvote 0