Canon registers a new RF mount lens

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
It looks like Canon may have one more lens to announce in 2021. They have registered a new and unreleased lens, with the product code 5554C005AA.
The latest Canon lenses to be announced the RF 16mm f/2.8 STM has the product code 5051C005 and the RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS USM is the 5050C005.

I don’t know for sure which lens is being registered here, but if I had to wager a guess based on the Canon Rumors RF lens roadmap, I’d go with an RF 35mm f/1.2L USM. Again, that’s just a guess!
I would think a 35L would definitely create enough...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
They need to make a lightweight f1.8 zoom is for s35. It's way overdue. The f1.4 35 is still kinda new and excellent and we got the f1.8. Personally I am not in a rush for that lens over other lenses. I rather a 135mm over that because the current one is ancient.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
they need to make a lightweight 1.8 zoom with is for s35. It's way overdue. The 1.4 35 is still kinda new and excellent and we got the 1.8. personally I am not in a rush for that lens over other lenses. I rather a 135 over that because the current one is ancient.
While I love the idea of a competitor for the Sigma zooms (with out the dragon like focus breathing please) it will never happen as Canon's policy is that FF is the one true format handed down by god never to be blasphemed against lest an army of Sonyboy terrorists be unleashed to wage Jihad against the infidels.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I could see Canon announcing a new lens around the time that the R3 ships, they did announce the RF 50mm F/1.8 and RF 70-200mm F/4L IS on their own in November last year, so maybe that's a trend around the holidays.

I'll be selling my EF 35mm F/1.4L II around that time, too, so that will be interesting to consider. Part of me feels like we should expect the lens to be about the size of the EF + adapter, but I'd love to see them keep it relatively similar in size without the adapter.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
What does the text "RF50mm 1.2L USM" (right after the 555...5AA code) mean?
Translation of that line:

Article Brand "Canon", model: 5554C005AA, RF50mm F1.2L USM

It would appear that the model name of the lens being registered is RF50mm F1.2L USM. I don't recall from past rumors based on Russian product registrations had accurate model names, I thought they usually didn't have any at all. If the model name is accurate, it sounds like this may just be new paperwork on an existing lens, but with the number of sources repeating this I would have expected that to have been caught by now if that were a possibility.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
they need to make a lightweight 1.8 zoom with is for s35. It's way overdue. The 1.4 35 is still kinda new and excellent and we got the 1.8. personally I am not in a rush for that lens over other lenses. I rather a 135 over that because the current one is ancient.
You're joking, right?

There's only a couple f/1.8 zooms that I know of, and they have an extremely limited range, are far from lightweight, and don't have IS. Even if we broaden it to just "faster than f/2.8", those are still all very heavy, only four that I can think of off the top of my head that have autofocus (one of which is Canon's own 28-70 f/2), and still none of them have IS. Making suck a lens stabilized is probably possible, but would add to the cost and weight that have these lenses already as niche items, and would introduce compromises to an already complicated optical design.

Upvote 0
Please be a RF 500 mm f4 DO lens!!
While I hope for the sake of my birding friends that we're going to continue to see more diffractive designs, I suspect Canon might be dropping the "DO" designation. It's been seen as a negative by segments of the market who didn't "get" it, especially in regards to the 70-300 DO, so I wonder if that's why Canon didn't mark the two f/11 teles as such. Of course, it could just be that they're reserving it for high-end diffractive lenses.

While the advantage of a short flange distance typically doesn't make much of a difference in the size of teles, Canon has already shown a couple ways they intend to do that, so I expect they could do something for a fast prime explicitly designed to be compact.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
You're joking, right?

There's only a couple f/1.8 zooms that I know of, and they have an extremely limited range, are far from lightweight, and don't have IS. Even if we broaden it to just "faster than f/2.8", those are still all very heavy, only four that I can think of off the top of my head that have autofocus (one of which is Canon's own 28-70 f/2), and still none of them have IS. Making suck a lens stabilized is probably possible, but would add to the cost and weight that have these lenses already as niche items, and would introduce compromises to an already complicated optical design.
18-35mm f1.8 sigma would like to have a word with you. Light and compact. The lens of choice for many videographers. Issues... slow focus, questionable build quality, no IS. :cool:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
18-35mm f1.8 sigma would like to have a word with you. Light and compact. The lens of choice for many videographers. Issues... slow focus, questionable build quality, no IS. :cool:

It isn't exactly light though -- 810g. The EF 24-70/2.8L II is 805g and the RF 24-70/2.8L IS is 900g. The zoom range is also limited: slightly less than 2x wide to tele, while the 24-70s are slightly less than 3x.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0