The Canon EOS R1 is coming, here are a few things to expect

Jul 26, 2020
If you only shoot video, wouldn't a dedicated video camera like a C70 or higher be better for your purposes rather than a hybrid stills/video camera?
I would like a smaller hand held one than the C70. R5C (FF) would be a good size.

I was just suggesting how the R1 could outdo the Z9. A flushed S1H swivel screen would be great for hybrid shooters.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Camera specs aside, would like to see a fingerprint sensor or some kinda security built into a pro camera for once like in cellphones, since this has been implemented theft has gone down. Insurance only does so much. Can’t be that hard ass it is already well established tech.

Being robbed at gunpoint or burglars following you home to your family just to get his hands on your R1 doesn’t sit right. Sure you can just hand it over and claim insurance but there is always a chance that they could pull the trigger for fun.
think canon can play its part to protect its consumer base. Sony and others will no doubt follow.
I tend to carry my concealed handgun with me when out with my $$$ cameras.
Until there are mechanisms such as you suggest, that's the best extra insurance I can come up with so far.
:)
C

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
Was there any mention of it having low res mode ~20 MP for High ISO sensitivity and a high res mode (~80 MP) for additional cropping capability? Something along the lines of a quad pixel array.
The camera will allow you to adjust your ISO, File Size, and Frame Speed as you desire manually or in "presets" or "button assignments" You can go as big or small as you like. You can also have custom preset LED button assignments for the same.

Upvote 0
Personally, if the R1 has selectable resolutions via pixel binning of 90/45/22 MP I would be thrilled.
Considering that going from 90MP-> 45MP would require Canon to bin sqrt(2) pixels in each direction, I have a hard time seeing this coming.
A straight linear 2:1 downsampling in each direction, going from 90MP to 22.5MP would be much more likely, IMHO. Sorry to spoil the party.

You could do a 3:2 downsampling filter where the "middle" sample was distributed to the "left" and "right" samples, but I wouldn't be surprised if it had serious detrimental side effects from an optical and sharpness perspective.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

StevenA

CR Pro
Jul 8, 2020
Camera specs aside, would like to see a fingerprint sensor or some kinda security built into a pro camera for once like in cellphones, since this has been implemented theft has gone down. Insurance only does so much. Can’t be that hard ass it is already well established tech.

Being robbed at gunpoint or burglars following you home to your family just to get his hands on your R1 doesn’t sit right. Sure you can just hand it over and claim insurance but there is always a chance that they could pull the trigger for fun.
think canon can play its part to protect its consumer base. Sony and others will no doubt follow.

The reason phone manufacturers implemented such tech is because there was an obvious need. Before they implement that tech in cameras I'd like to see the stats on how many people are being robbed of their high-end equipment at gun point. If it's warranted, then sure, add it in. I'm sure they'd charge us decent $ for it too.

I'm not convinced there are a lot of people out there that know a $5,000 camera on sight. And then how many of those are willing to commit armed robbery/murder.

That said, if Canon implemented it and added another $100 to the price it wouldn't hurt their sales any.

Upvote 0
I see a lot of people saying canon need X and Y to compete with the Nikon z9 or the Sony A1.

The truth is that the R5 is pretty much there at the races as it is. 45mp, 8k video, 20fps etc etc etc.
Yeah there is that overheating thing for video shooters, but realistically I think youd be more than a little wrong to say Canon has no answer to these cameras even as it is.

Personally Im delighted that Nikon has gone ahead and released a camera that offers a nice level of functionality for what could be considered a knock down price. It will mean the other two (sony/cannon) will have to avoid massive price jumps for what they consider flagship cameras in their own lineups if nothing other than marketing reasons.

It makes whatever will come next from all 3 of them much more exciting because theyre genuinely all very close to the same level for the first time pretty much since mirrorless cameras became the defacto camera that youd want to buy at the high end.

Either way, I think for the R1 it means we will be seeing more MP and more FPS with higher DR and ISO performance. How much of each we shall see, but its hard to argue that the current crop of cameras are so much more capable than previous generations that every improvement from here on out will probably be felt less and less regardless of what they are with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions (global shutter for example).

just my 2c

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Have a great trip, and I hope you have had at least 2 jabs! I'm too cautious about travelling but Kenya does have a very low infection rate.

ps, your signature has become excessively long and is taking up a lot of space.
Thanks, I’ve had 3 jabs. Looking forward to the birding, but only going for a week, as if I get Covid (again) I’d feel safer being treated at home. I’ll be going back again in December though, leading a butterfly photography tour.

I’ll see what I can do to abbreviate my rather long signature, although it should automatically hide everything apart from the top line…

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Considering that going from 90MP-> 45MP would require Canon to bin sqrt(2) pixels in each direction, I have a hard time seeing this coming.
A straight linear 2:1 downsampling in each direction, going from 90MP to 22.5MP would be much more likely, IMHO. Sorry to spoil the party.

You could do a 3:2 downsampling filter where the "middle" sample was distributed to the "left" and "right" samples, but I wouldn't be surprised if it had serious detrimental side effects from an optical and sharpness perspective.
Agree that four-fold binning makes the most sense, but I would still think they could downsample the sensor like what they do for video. The R3 downsamples 6K to 4K and the new Sony a7 downsamples 7K to 4K. Just brainstorming and am curious if something like this could be done. Might already to similar to what is already done for mRAW and sRAW? I don't know the answer.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Thanks, I’ve had 3 jabs. Looking forward to the birding, but only going for a week, as if I get Covid (again) I’d feel safer being treated at home. I’ll be going back again in December though, leading a butterfly photography tour.

I’ll see what I can do to abbreviate my rather long signature, although it should automatically hide everything apart from the top line…
If you have had covid and have had jabs, you should be pretty close to bomb proof. The only slight worry is getting an asymptomatic infection but testing positive before getting on to a return flight. But, you would probably have to catch that on the flight out in a weeks return trip. Have a safe trip.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
If a 7D or 7D II was the right tool for the job given a person’s budget, why not just keep using it? It’s not like it suddenly quit doing what you wanted it to. I can appreciate GAS as much as the next guy, and the idea will sound weird to folks on a board dedicated to rumors about the coming latest and greatest, I realize.
I sold my 7DMkii a long time ago because the sensor wasn’t good enough at high ISO settings. If they’d introduced a Mkiii version with a better sensor (like the one in the 90D) I would have bought it. Like many others, I waited and waited, but eventually decided that the only way to get better high ISO performance was to go full frame. That is no longer quite so necessary, as sensor quality and high ISO performance has increased dramatically in recent years, making APS-C attractive for the extra reach it provides.

I’m as guilty as anyone of G.A.S, and new technology, that after all is why we are all here on a rumours site, but I only buy a new camera if I feel that it offers something that will genuinely improve my photography. Hence I’m not tempted by the R3 or Z9 although I could afford to get either. My main camera will for the foreseeable future be my R5, but I would have no hesitation in buying a pro-grade APS body as backup second body, to get me extra reach, which would be valuable for my wildlife photography. I hope that answers your questions.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
The summary is that Canon provides 3 different price points for super tele focal lengths.
All of them released in native R mount in the past 3 years plus the existing EF versions.
But.... you believe a 4th one would fit your (and many others') needs.
Three? Oh really? There are only two RF 800mm lenses and two RF 600mm lenses, at opposite extremes price-wise.
It seems perfectly reasonable to me to suggest that there might be a market for something in-between.

Personally I’d like a 800mm F8 and a 180mm F5.6 macro.
I dare say there are other lenses that you and others would like to be added.
You are free to put forward your own suggestions…

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Three? Oh really? There are only two RF 800mm lenses and two RF 600mm lenses, at opposite extremes price-wise.
It seems perfectly reasonable to me to suggest that there might be a market for something in-between.

+1 on the slow-ish 180mm 1:1 macro lens!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

"Supertelephoto" generally includes lenses of 400mm and longer, so there are the RF 600 / 800 in the low price range, the 100-500L in the mid range, and the 400/2.8 and 600/4 at the top end.

You can get a 700mm f/10 with the 100-500 + 1.4x for US$3300. Seems like mid-range to me.

An 800/8 would have a 100mm entrance pupil, same as the 400/4 and 200/2, and an RF lens in that size range would likely be >$7000 – would you consider that a mid-range lens? Many would not.

Upvote 0

alexKan

6D II
Aug 16, 2021
I;m a canon user for 10 years, I love Canon DSLR , it offer a good user menu, many choices of lens both Canon and 3-rd party lens.
I believe what canon really need is to increase it's user market.
Like Sony , it has a more choice on the low end market, they are important for market growth in future.
Canon low end market , EOS RP is actually a mirrorless version of a 5-year old 6D mark II .
Beside than the over-priced lens and body, Canon EOS R lack 3-rd party lens from Tamron and Sigma lens.
All of these push me away from Canon, .... /....\

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Like Sony , it has a more choice on the low end market, they are important for market growth in future.
I believe you need to check the facts.

Canon holds ~50% of the ILC market, which is more than Sony and Nikon combined. Last year, Canon gained more market share than Sony.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

I believe you need to check the facts.

Canon holds ~50% of the ILC market, which is more than Sony and Nikon combined. Last year, Canon gained more market share than Sony.
I think he is talking about growing the market, not further dividing up the shrinking existing market. Canon dominates the shrinking market but a market that is both shrinking and aging out is not a good strategy for the long term. Canon is certainly making a strong play for the lucrative enthusiast market, which is good for the short term. But eventually, we will die or become too old to carry around big cameras.

However, I don't think just offering lower cost cameras as @alexKan seems to suggest, is the solution. Competitive low cost cameras are one strategy, but that's not going to save the industry. On the other hand, the new dual lens fisheye seems to me to be the first product in a long time that might actually grow the market. So yeah, Canon does need to increase its user market. But, doing so won't be easy since most people are content with cellphone cameras and cellphone cameras keep getting better.

Upvote 0