Canon will release an APS-C RF mount camera(s) later in 2022 [CR3]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The long rumoured APS-C RF mount camera from Canon is starting to appear more and more likely. I have been told by an solid source that Canon is “definitely” releasing an APS-C RF mount camera in 2022.
Now, I don’t know if we’re talking about something like an “EOS R7” or a camera(s) to take the place of the EOS M line.
More to come…

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 21, 2010
For those who want such a Camera, I hope I’m wrong.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
It's always been inevitable IMO that Canon would release an APS-C in RF mount, and it beats me why some people have argued otherwise.

I think it's equally inevitable that there will within a year or two be at least two, possibly three APS-C RF models.

One will IMO be a very "affordable" entry model, complete with a new compact kit zoom, to entice newcomers to photography into adopting the RF system.

The other will probably be a 90D replacement. i.e. very well specified, but hi-end consumer rather than pro/semi-pro.

I'd like to think that there will also be a pro-grade sports/wildlife model that slots price-wise between the R6 and R5, to enable more "reach" with lighter and more compact lenses, as compared with FF.

I'd guess that the first model to be released would be the entry model, and the last to be released (if it happens at all) would be the pro model.

Where does this leave the M mount, some will ask. Well the M system is a huge seller in Asia, so I believe it will continue alongside an APS-C RF range, at least for the next 2-3 years.

(Neuro, please mote the multiple use of qualifiers i.e. "IMO", "I guess", "I'd like to think" and "I believe"... ;);) )

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
Long-term...I'm guessing Canon will have an array of APS-C cameras, similar to their current selection. R7...R10..."R"ebel / R100...and smaller-bodied cameras to take the place of the EOS M line (R1000). All RF-mount. I'd expect RF-S lenses to become a reality as well. They don't need a different mount for -S glass anymore, since the full-frame R cameras will automatically enter cropped mode when an APS-C lens is attached.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
They should release it sooner than later...
No they should release it much later. We need more endless discussions about "will they or won't they" and "It should be cheaper than an R6 but have all the features of the R1."

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 24 users
Upvote 0
It's always been inevitable IMO that Canon would release an APS-C in RF mount, and it beats me why some people have argued otherwise.

I think it's equally inevitable that there will within a year or two be at least two, possibly three APS-C RF models.

One will IMO be a very "affordable" entry model, complete with a new compact kit zoom, to entice newcomers to photography into adopting the RF system.

The other will probably be a 90D replacement. i.e. very well specified, but hi-end consumer rather than pro/semi-pro.

I'd like to think that there will also be a pro-grade sports/wildlife model that slots price-wise between the R6 and R5, to enable more "reach" with lighter and more compact lenses, as compared with FF.
Agree that the two first ("entry-level APS-C RF" and "hi-end consumer") seems likely. Neuro has argued well for why a 7DII replacement is unlikely, and have to concede to his arguments.

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2021

I'd guess that the first model to be released would be the entry model, and the last to be released (if it happens at all) would be the pro model.
I guess it depends on whether the supply-chain issues are resolved. If parts are still hard to come by, it may be more profitable to produce fewer more expensive (i.e. the pro-grade or 90D) bodies first.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I guess it depends on whether the supply-chain issues are resolved. If parts are still hard to come by, it may be more profitable to produce fewer more expensive (i.e. the pro-grade or 90D) bodies first.
Yes it may be more profitable/easier to produce a low number of higher grade models while the supply chain issues continue, but it would I think be more profitable in the long term to release the entry model first. I think that is the area where Canon would be most effective in capturing new customers, and would be more effective than introducing another FF model below the RP. It's quite possible, even likely, that the entry model will lack an EVF, to keep purchase price as low as possible.

Upvote 0
Hopefully Canon and other companies choose a route to make their own parts in their companies - and I think the pandemic has shown that this would be a good idea.

Canon needs to sell the lower end systems to stay in a good market and marketing position - at the moment I see lots of "available in 1-3 months" not only at 5k€ bodies or lenses!

Upvote 0
I think both, APS-EOS R bodies and EOS M systems will coexist for at least three years to find out which one will survive, maybe both of them.
M50 (ii) are excellent cameras in terms of image quality (both photo and video), AF + general speed for medium fast objects, small, light, very flexible with their flippy screens.

While I would like to use an R5 using three M50s makes lots of things easier for me e.g. EF-S 15-85 + EF-S 60 or EF-M 32 + EF 70-200 f/4 makes a nice combo avoiding any lens changes and delivering great IQ plus fitting in a small bag.
Using three R5s would be an alternative but ... price ... weight ... size ...

Upvote 0