Canon will release an APS-C RF mount camera(s) later in 2022 [CR3]

Feb 7, 2019
UK
Would that be the same 'huge market' that was clamoring for a 7DIII...that Canon decided not to make?

I'm always skeptical when people claim to know more about the market than a global, multibillion dollar company with mountains of market research data.
The 7D3 never came out because the world changed to mirrorless.

I’m only going off of what I know, and that’s that loads of nature photographers want an R7 (and a 500mm f5.6)…

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sad for you. There’s a Best Buy (nationwide big box electronics retailer, computers, dishwashers, etc.) 3 km from my house that has the R, R5, R6, 5DIV, M-series and Rebel/xxxD, and many Canon lenses including L-series in stock. They have display counters a few meters long for each of Csnon, Nikon and Sony (with a small area of Panasonic and Fuji).

There are >20 Best Buy stores in my state, I’ve been in 3-4 of them and all have a dedicated camera section. There is also a camera store chain around here (Hunts Photo), and a few independent camera shops as well (there were more of those a few years ago).

Are people actually buying? I personally can't think of any non photographer who would buy a standalone camera today. Maybe during the lockdown some bought cameras for the kids in place of a web camera. But virtually everybody uses their phone instead of a camera.

The shop I mentioned might be twice the size of a best buy.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
>40% of the world is still DSLRs. Actually, it's more than that since 40% is the fraction of ILCs produced this year that were DSLRs. The installed base of DSLRs is still much higher, because it was only 2 years ago that MILCs overtook DSLRs in camera production.

I’m only going off of what I know, and that’s that loads of nature photographers want an R7 (and a 500mm f5.6)…
Ahhh yes, "loads of nature photographers". How many is 'loads'? Do you know? I don't. But I can guarantee you that Canon has a much better sense of that than either of us. The 7-series was on a 5-year cycle anyway, the longest of any Canon series (even the 1-series are on a 4-year cycle, and the xxD and xxxD models were much shorter). If there were "loads of nature photographers" buying high-end APS-C cameras, why did the 7-series languish?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Are people actually buying? I personally can't think of any non photographer who would buy a standalone camera today. Maybe during the lockdown some bought cameras for the kids in place of a web camera. But virtually everybody uses their phone instead of a camera.

The shop I mentioned might be twice the size of a best buy.
Well, I don't camp out in the store and keep a tally. But there are cameras and lenses they have in stock, then they are sold out of them. Then they get more in. From that, I conclude that yes, people are actually buying.

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
>40% of the world is still DSLRs. Actually, it's more than that since 40% is the fraction of ILCs produced this year that were DSLRs. The installed base of DSLRs is still much higher, because it was only 2 years ago that MILCs overtook DSLRs in camera production.

Ahhh yes, "loads of nature photographers". How many is 'loads'? Do you know? I don't. But I can guarantee you that Canon has a much better sense of that than either of us. The 7-series was on a 5-year cycle anyway, the longest of any Canon series (even the 1-series are on a 4-year cycle, and the xxD and xxxD models were much shorter). If there were "loads of nature photographers" buying high-end APS-C cameras, why did the 7-series languish?
Don’t know why you are so desperate for an argument. I’ll message you in 12 months once the R7 is out.

• Love
Upvote 0
I know this isn't popular opinion, but I think that, if they really want to legitimize consumer acceptance of the R line, Canon really needs to lead with an APS-C R camera that lands somewhere around the specs and size of the M50. It continues to amaze me that the M cameras sell so well despite being a total orphan (or bastard stepchild, depending on my mood that day) in the overall Canon lineup. Folding some or most of those future sales into the R architecture would help to ensure that the R line continues to grow. And though the technological limitations make it very highly unlikely as previously discussed, an EF-M to R adapter would help current M users like myself to stop being stuck in both worlds.

Let's face it. Canon has never shown the M line much love, and it's dying of neglect right now. Killing it off by making a clear path into the R platform would help to not alienate the many many consumers who have bought into the line. I know everyone is clamoring for a high end "R7" type of entry. And hopefully that comes too. But the consumer market is what really pays the bills. And a cohesive architecture on the low end would really help launch the R to much greater heights than it has been so far.

• Haha
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

I used to want a 500mm f/5.6, and loved using the Nikon 500mm f/5.6 PF. The RF 100-500mm f/7.1 has changed all that for me, but maybe not for loads of nature photographers. It has all the advantages of a zoom, can be used for close-up work of down to a metre or so, is just about as sharp as that prime for the cost of 2/3rds of stop, and is of similar weight and cheaper. If I get a prime now, it will have to have something different going for it, like an ultralight 500 f/4 or 600 f/5.6.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
I used to want a 500mm f/5.6, and loved using the Nikon 500mm f/5.6 PF. The RF 100-500mm f/7.1 has changed all that for me, but maybe not for loads of nature photographers. It has all the advantages of a zoom, can be used for close-up work of down to a metre or so, is just about as sharp as that prime for the cost of 2/3rds of stop, and is of similar weight and cheaper. If I get a prime now, it will have to have something different going for it, like an ultralight 500 f/4 or 600 f/5.6.
I’d love to have a go of the 100-500! Haven’t used one yet. I can certainly see your reasoning. Just think that having that 5.6 over 7.1 at the long end would be advantageous. Maybe not a lot, but it’d definitely help smooth those backgrounds out a bit! The problem with a 500 f4 is the price!! A 500 f5.6 for around £2500 is the dream for me!

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2020
Canon really needs to lead with an APS-C R camera that lands somewhere around the specs and size of the M50.
That's the RP except for the sensor. That large RF mount drives body size, and will prevent an M50 size camera with an RF mount. The only way to get much smaller in an RF mount camera is to eliminate the EVF.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Let's face it. Canon has never shown the M line much love, and it's dying of neglect right now.
You say it's dying of neglect. Canon sees that of the top 10 best-selling ILCs domestically last month, four of them are EOS M kits (at #3, 5, 7 and 10).

Your reality and actual reality are somewhat different, but at least you're in good company here.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Don’t know why you are so desperate for an argument. I’ll message you in 12 months once the R7 is out.
Hi- I would tend to agree with you that an R7 is the way forward for a lot of people. I have read all 8 pages of comments and its like a childs playground, full of he said,she said snipes at differing opinions. In truth there will be a market for an APS-C R based camera for a couple of simple practical reasons. Firstly, a lot of us like the format as we get a bit more reach from the magnification that APS-C provides and secondly the fact that many people have invested heavily in EF lenses over the years based around the APS-C camera ( and I dont mean EF-S lenses) for their professional needs such as wildlife and sports photography. The extra reach you get from APS-C is worth it in these cases. We are not all able just to shift all our kit over to RF based stuff !!!!
My view is that there is room for an " R7" and hopefully such a beast will appear next year.

• Love
Upvote 0