Canon EOS R6 firmwave v1.5.0 changelog posted, download now available

UK site has definately taken down the firmware updates. I had already installed on my R6 so far no problems fingers crossed.
Yeah, but at least in my country they removed all the firmwares. There were three different versions available for download, and now there's none. It must have been for another reason.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
It wouldn't be the first time that Canon have had to suddenly withdraw a firmware update.

I perhaps foolishly updated my R5 yesterday, and now I'm at the airport about to take it on a photographic holiday, so I hope it isn't going to brick the camera!

Have my 5DMkiv as a backup, but I'll be very p***ed off if Canon have put out a dodgy update that f***s my R5...

Seems that some people are having card errors after installing the update, but most reports indicate all is Ok. Could be an issue with specific cards? Or maybe there's another problem that no-one has yet uncovered?

One thing I noted was that the folder failed to open after I clicked on the firmware dmg, but after rebooting the computer the relevant files appeared, so maybe it's just a download problem?

Come on Canon, we need answers!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'll just remind everyone that you can downgrade, via EOS Utility, so there's no harm in trying out the newer firmware, as long as you have the previous versions.

--------

So far I've only found one very minor issue with the new firmware: if we enable "suppress lower framerate" on the EVF, the "EXP SIM" icon starts blinking at the same exposure level as if we were allowing the EVF to drop its framerate rate, which we aren't, so it should start blinking at a higher exposure level.
To be honest, that's not something that will bother me, because in order to use that we first need to set EVF performance to "Smooth", which I usually don't.

But that's the only thing I found...

Upvote 0
I upgraded firmware from Canon US. Worked fine, but there are two bugs, I identified until now:
First, the older LP-6N batteries are not recognized, when put into the grip. Second, heavily drain in battery in switched off mode. Two 6NH batteries are almost empty, after beeing inserted fully loaded on Friday.
I try to reinstall the FW, when it appears on Canon Germany site.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I upgraded firmware from Canon US. Worked fine, but there are two bugs, I identified until now:
First, the older LP-6N batteries are not recognized, when put into the grip. Second, heavily drain in battery in switched off mode. Two 6NH batteries are almost empty, after beeing inserted fully loaded on Friday.
I try to reinstall the FW, when it appears on Canon Germany site.
Are you sure you’re still in Airplane mode? Mine has just been sitting as well and it hasn’t lost even 1%…

Upvote 0
I have problem with stabilizer on 100-400 II. When it's on, sometimes it works but most of the time it says MF mode. When I turn it off - it works. Maybe it is lens - but nothing has changed except FW.
Hmmmmm..... Tried it this moment: 100-400 L II works on all 3 adapters fine. But the Tamron 90mm macro do not start focussing in AF mode.

How to downgrade FW? Just putting it on the SD card like upgrading?
Does someone know an working download link with FR 1.4, please? Erratic deleted the old FW file

Upvote 0

sfericean

R3, R5, R6 x 2, & 1DXIII x 2
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Bellflower, CA
www.youtube.com
Had a family portrait session yesterday. Used two R6's w/RF 50mm F1.2 and RF 70-200mm F2.8. I experienced no problems with the cameras using 1.5.0. Grabed on to eyes without issue. Pleasurable shooting experience all together. Complete side-note but everyone should get the RF 50mm F1.2. Worth every penny. Talking about pennies. I plan on saving each one and adding the RF 85mm F1.2 to the arsenal very soon as well.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Had a go at the ice skating today and it works almost great. I had slight issues with minor backfocus, and some shots in a series completely off that I feel hasn’t been an issue previously. So there is definitely not an upgrade in AF tracking performance, but perhaps not always much worse either. It’s much better at switching to the closest eye, but no Eye AF when a person is in profile. Can’t say I’m impressed so far.

Upvote 0
Dec 5, 2021
Hmmmmm..... Tried it this moment: 100-400 L II works on all 3 adapters fine. But the Tamron 90mm macro do not start focussing in AF mode.

How to downgrade FW? Just putting it on the SD card like upgrading?
Does someone know an working download link with FR 1.4, please? Erratic deleted the old FW file
Just did another shoot today and it worked ok. I will be testing it further!

Upvote 0
Hopefully, this new firmware will bring some improvements to the eye tracking, as well. There is room for it, certainly. When using eye tracking with fast super telephoto lenses I often end up with the majority of my shots back focused just slightly, while the camera is seemingly locked on the eyes. The difference is rather minor, but it is disappointing to see that the sharpest points are often not the eyes, but behind.
Anyone else noticed this?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0