Canon EOS R6 firmwave v1.5.0 changelog posted, download now available

Dec 13, 2010
Hopefully, this new firmware will a bring some improvements to the eye tracking, as well. There is room for it, certainly. When using eye tracking with fast super telephoto lenses I often end up with the majority of my shots back focused just slightly, while the camera is seemingly locked on the eyes. The difference is rather minor, but it is disappointing to see that the sharpest points are often not the eyes, but behind.
Anyone else noticed this?
Noticed it today after update 1.5.0… haven’t had any reason to complain prior to that.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Multiple bugs and erratic Eye AF reports, this is not good…
Firmware 1.5 I had headshots Friday. R5 R24-70 2.8 Well lit with a flash, f3.2 ISO200 SS 125, eye tracking and face tracking. Half of my shots were soft but I noticed the hair towards the back of the head was very sharp.

Attachments

• CHIC0032.jpg
    CHIC0032.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 98
Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2015
I've done 3 pro shoots with the R6 and 1.5.0 and have delivered some worse pics to clients due to problems so i've just reinstalled 1.3.1 as that worked better before in these same areas

Main issue to me is a large group shot night event high iso, exposure simulation looked fine, resulting file was 1 or 2 stops brightly overexposed. I found out a bit late as i don't want to chimp continuously while working. The next group shot had the same issues but i was aware by that point so i did some test shots before to bring down the brightness difference of exp sim to file so they got the right exposure. I don't want to have to do that every time and never needed to on 1.3.1, i could trust the viewfinder sim exposure

Next as mentioned by another, back focused near ears instead of eyes like some past mirrored dslr issue. A simple action set of a kid coming down a slide, all on ears, before on 1.3.1 fine on eyes after a few similar shoots

The only thing i wanted improvement with 1.5.0 was for it to better know which is the closest eye, 1.3.1 chooses distant eye often and 1.5.0 just as bad so have to manually override often to get closest eye on shallow d.o.f portraits/candids. Also better understanding a face is a face when just tilted a little away from frontal would be nice

And we shouldn't need eos utility to downgrade firmware if we have it on a memory card ugh, should be allowed internally

Anyway, after that glass of whine relieved to have 1.3.1 again :D

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
I've done 3 pro shoots with the R6 and 1.5.0 and have delivered some worse pics to clients due to problems so i've just reinstalled 1.3.1 as that worked better before in these same areas

Main issue to me is a large group shot night event high iso, exposure simulation looked fine, resulting file was 1 or 2 stops brightly overexposed. I found out a bit late as i don't want to chimp continuously while working. The next group shot had the same issues but i was aware by that point so i did some test shots before to bring down the brightness difference of exp sim to file so they got the right exposure. I don't want to have to do that every time and never needed to on 1.3.1, i could trust the viewfinder sim exposure

Next as mentioned by another, back focused near ears instead of eyes like some past mirrored dslr issue. A simple action set of a kid coming down a slide, all on ears, before on 1.3.1 fine on eyes after a few similar shoots

The only thing i wanted improvement with 1.5.0 was for it to better know which is the closest eye, 1.3.1 chooses distant eye often and 1.5.0 just as bad so have to manually override often to get closest eye on shallow d.o.f portraits/candids. Also better understanding a face is a face when just tilted a little away from frontal would be nice

And we shouldn't need eos utility to downgrade firmware if we have it on a memory card ugh, should be allowed internally

Anyway, after that glass of whine relieved to have 1.3.1 again :D
Wow great to see these posts. I was really thinking something was wrong with my camera. The 1.5 really made the AF worse....guess I will be reinstalling 1.3.1

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Couldn't CR Guy reach out to somebody? Find out whether it's just the tiny handful of people here reporting odd problems, or actually widespread? Find out if Canon techs have reproduced issues?

Personally, I've tried EF and RF lenses. I've looked at older test shots still lingering on my HDD. AF sharpness is the same as before--excellent. I think I'm getting slightly better IBIS and eye acquistion with my ef 35mm f/1.4L II, but it might just be I hold the camera more steady one day than another, or my technique with Eye AF has naturally improved over time. All sharp, consistent as usual.

In any event, if there is trouble with 1.5, Canon will quickly release a new version, so, personally, I wouldn't be messing around trying to force a rollback. I'd be on the phone constantly with CPS, calling over and over, talking to different techs, getting a supervisor, writing up the chain--and I would be backing up my concerns with solid images from carefully conducted test shots.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Couldn't CR Guy reach out to somebody? Find out whether it's just the tiny handful of people here reporting odd problems, or actually widespread? Find out if Canon techs have reproduced issues?

Personally, I've tried EF and RF lenses. I've looked at older test shots still lingering on my HDD. AF sharpness is the same as before--excellent. I think I'm getting slightly better IBIS and eye acquistion with my ef 35mm f/1.4L II, but it might just be I hold the camera more steady one day than another, or my technique with Eye AF has naturally improved over time. All sharp, consistent as usual.

In any event, if there is trouble with 1.5, Canon will quickly release a new version, so, personally, I wouldn't be messing around trying to force a rollback. I'd be on the phone constantly with CPS, calling over and over, talking to different techs, getting a supervisor, writing up the chain--and I would be backing up my concerns with solid images from carefully conducted test shots.
It’s more people now, new threads every day. Some people are experiencing that 50% of their shots are slightly oof in the same studio setting etc. for me it’s very hard to get a conclusive result in a controlled test, because it’s so erratic and mostly with moving subjects so that’s always going to be where the blame is put, but I know the R5 by now, it’s not like it was.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
It’s more people now, new threads every day. Some people are experiencing that 50% of their shots are slightly oof in the same studio setting etc. for me it’s very hard to get a conclusive result in a controlled test, because it’s so erratic and mostly with moving subjects so that’s always going to be where the blame is put, but I know the R5 by now, it’s not like it was.
I'm not having luck Googling, because the only place I'm finding newer reports is here. DPR went pretty quiet after a few posts to a thread...And you did link to a facebook group, but it's private, so I couldn't read through.

I'd really like to talk to Canon about it, but I have no evidence of my own (fortunately). It worries me that good photographers such as yourself are having problems, but I really have to take some of the first time posters with a grain of salt. In other words, at the moment, it's hard to see a pattern...Maybe certain user settings on the R5 prior to the update led to an error installing?

Have you talked to Canon yourself? If you've already shared the conversation, I'm sorry I missed it.

The newest youtube vid I found this morning does confirm how well Eye AF with Tracking is working on mine (and when I place the AF spot on a torso, the little box now LEAPS instantly to an eye):

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I'm not having luck Googling, because the only place I'm finding newer reports is here. DPR went pretty quiet after a few posts to a thread...And you did link to a facebook group, but it's private, so I couldn't read through.

I'd really like to talk to Canon about it, but I have no evidence of my own (fortunately). It worries me that good photographers such as yourself are having problems, but I really have to take some of the first time posters with a grain of salt. In other words, at the moment, it's hard to see a pattern...Maybe certain user settings on the R5 prior to the update led to an error installing?

Have you talked to Canon yourself? If you've already shared the conversation, I'm sorry I missed it.

The newest youtube vid I found this morning does confirm how well Eye AF with Tracking is working on mine (and when I place the AF spot on a torso, the little box now LEAPS instantly to an eye):

I’m in a few fairly large groups on fb regarding the EOS R series and specific R6/5/3 groups all with posts on the subject. I have alerted a Canon guy that has been most helpful previously so we’ll see where it goes. It’s definitely an issue.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SereneSpeed

CR Pro
Feb 1, 2016

I got my R5 the day they released the new firmware and with little to loose, I upgraded. It behaves for me, just like that video. And coming from an R, I'm speechless...

• Sad
Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
Hopefully, this new firmware will bring some improvements to the eye tracking, as well. There is room for it, certainly. When using eye tracking with fast super telephoto lenses I often end up with the majority of my shots back focused just slightly, while the camera is seemingly locked on the eyes. The difference is rather minor, but it is disappointing to see that the sharpest points are often not the eyes, but behind.
Anyone else noticed this?
I agree. I experience this quite regularly. It is very disappointing when we have spent thousands of dollars for these tools.

Upvote 0