Canon will release an APS-C RF mount camera(s) later in 2022 [CR3]

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
When Sony was the only FF MILC game in town, most of their sales came from Canon and Nikon FF DSLR shooters. Now, those folks are staying in brand. In 2020, Canon gained 6% of the mirrorless market share and Sony lost 7% of it. If that trend continues even at half strength, by now Canon is the mirrorless market leader just as they have been the ILC market leader for two decades.

Yeah, but most of the buyers of Canon's FF MILCs are not coming back from Sony FF MILCs, they're coming from Canon FF DSLRs.

It's not that hard. It really isn't.

Sony's FF MILC numbers are falling because their α7 line has matured to the point that not all of the Sony faithful are updating every model release like they were a decade ago when each release was a more significant jump from the previous model. That and the Sony customer base tends, on average, to be younger than the customer bases for Canon's & Nikon's higher end cameras like the 5D series, R5, and R6. The pandemic has affected younger people's buying power more than it has affected those in the age 50+ crowd.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I highly doubt the 850D is selling as well as the M50 II, as most of Canon's DSLR sales are in even lower tier bodies: the older 200D/250D/Rebel SL 3, 2000D/Rebel T7, and 4000D/3000D/Rebel T100. The latter two have been on the market since early 2018.
In Japan, the two best-selling ILCs for December were the M50 II (white and black versions). The 250D/SL3 was #3, and the 850D was #6.

As for the 7-series five year cycle, it's fairly well accepted that the 7D Mark II was probably originally scheduled for a late 2012 or early 2013 release, three and one-half years after the 7D in late 2009, but development problems with the sensor delayed that until late 2014.
That sounds like 'academic publication code'. As in 'It is known that...' means 'I think' and 'It is well known that...' means me and a few of my colleagues think.

When else has Canon released new firmware that increases the capability of a three year old body as significantly as they did with the 7D in 2012? That was a stop-gap measure meant to keep antsy 7D users happy during the delay.
The 5DII came out in 2008 and in 2010 came the v2 firmware that significantly enhanced video features.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Knock yourself out.

I’ve seen a few today, including one that just drove past me (I’m parked).

There were 250K sold in the US last year, the Camry sold about 315K units (according to Car & Driver).

The fact that you haven’t seen any Corollas nicely illustrates what I keep saying about the worthlessness of anecdotal observations. Anecdotes ≠ data.

I'd be interested to see those sales number broken down by region. It might be eye opening. Until the chip shortage, most folks in the south looking for a cheap new vehicle bought a pickup truck. Not only were the base model trucks cheaper, but so are the insurance rates compared to passenger cars. Hyundai Accents are also very popular here. I see them everywhere. Maybe I see Corollas and just don't realize they are Corollas?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The only Canon body or kits that sell for more than $999 at the nearest Best Buy to me in stock is the EOS R + RF 24-105 non-L kit ("only 1 in stock"). The only lens for $999+ in stock is the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III ("only 2 in stock").
As I said, sad for you. At the location 2 miles from my house, today (in one hour from placing an online order) I could pick up an EOS R with or without 24-105 non-L or an R6. No L-series RF lenses (they do have the 35/1.8 and 50/1.8). For EF lenses they have the 16-35/2.8L III, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L III, 100-400/4.5-5.6L II, and 100/2.8L Macro – 5 lenses over $1K in stock (plus several non-L EF and EF-S lenses). I'm sure Best Buy knows what items sell best in which regions. I suppose I'm fortunate to live in a fairly affluent region.

There are 3 Hunts Photo locations within a 30 minute drive from my house, and they have several RF L-series lenses in stock (14-35, 70-200/4, 100 macro, and 50/1.2). I picked up an RF 1.4x extender there a couple of weeks ago. They have the R, RP, R5 and R6 in stock. Many places in the country don't even have dedicated photo stores any more. As I said, fortunate to be in an affluent area.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
The only Canon body or kits that sell for more than $999 at the nearest Best Buy to me in stock is the EOS R + RF 24-105 non-L kit ("only 1 in stock"). The only lens for $999+ in stock is the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III ("only 2 in stock").

Today is Wednesday. If ordered today:

Earliest local pickup for an R body only, RP + 24-105/4-7.1 kit , R6 + 24-105/4-7.1 kit, EF 24-70/2.8L II, RF 24-70/2.8L, or M6 Mark II (black) + 15-45mm + EVF-DC2 is in three days on Saturday.

Earliest local pickup for R6 (BO), R (BO), EF 100-400L II, EF 16-35/2.8L III, EF 100/2.8L Macro, M6 II (silver) + 15-45mm + EVF-DC2, or RF 50/1.2L is in four days on Sunday.

Earliest local pickup for EF 70-200/4L II, EF 11-24/4L, RP (BO), RF 100-500/4.5-7.1L, RF 70-200/4L, R6 + RF 24-105/4L, RF 15-35/2.8L, EF 400/4 DO, EF 200-400/4(1.4X)L, RF 85/2 Macro, or RF 85/1.2L is in six days on Tuesday.

Earliest local pickup for RF 70-200/2.8L is in nine days on Friday week.

Listed as unavailable for pickup (within anywhere from 50 to 250 miles, depending on the item) but available for direct shipping are:

EF 16-35/4L, EOS R + 24-105/4L, and EF 50/1.2L.

Listed as "unavailable nearby" or "sold out" with no option to order either in-store or via direct shipping:

EOS R5 (BO), RF 24-105/4L, RF 28-70/2L, EF 85/1.4L, EF 24-105/4L II, EF 24/1.4L II, TS-E 17/4, EF 500/4L II, EF 800/5.6L, EF 300/2.8L II, EF 600/4, EOS R3, and EF 400/2.8L III.

Two of the dozens of Nashville area stores 120 miles away have R6 bodies available for pickup today (one of those says "only 1 left"). Most of the other Nashville locations have earliest local pickup either in four days (Sunday) or in one week (next Wednesday). All of the other stuff is similar.

At or below $999, the following Canon cameras and lenses are in stock at the nearest Best Buy:

RF 50/1.8, EF-S 24/2.8 STM, EF 85/1.8 ('only 1 left'), RP (BO), EF-M 22/2,

Order for pickup later:

EF 50/1.8 STM, RF 35/1.8 Macro, M50 II + 15-45mm 'Content Creator Kit', RF 16/2.8 STM, EF 50/1.4, RF 24-105/4-7.1, EF-S 17-55/2.8, EF-S 10-18 STM, RF 24-240, EF-M 32/1.4, M200 + 15-45mm + 'CCK', EF 35/2, EF-S 10-22mm, M6 II (silver)(BO), RF 800/11, RF 85/2 Macro, M5 + 15-45mm, EF-M 15-45mm (silver),
RF 100-400/5.6-8, EF-M 28/3.5 Macro, RF 600/11, EF-S 15-85/3.5-5.6,

Direct Shipping only: nothing

Unavailable/Sold Out:

EF 40/2.8 STM, EF-M 18-150 (silver), EF 17-40/4 + 50/1.4 two lens kit, EF-M 55-200mm (silver), EF 50/1.8 STM + Speedlite EL-100 kit, EF-S35/2.8 Macro,
EF-S 18-135mm, M50 + 15-45mm + Røde Mic 'Video Creator' kit, M50 II (BO), M50 II + 15-45mm, M50 II + 15-45mm + 55-200mm, EF 70-300mm IS II, EF-M 18-150mm, M50 + 15-45mm (white), EF 17-40/4L, EF-S 55-250mm STM.

I went back and checked and Best Buy had added some weird filters to my search. The also have the T7 two lens kit + bag, Rebel T7 + 18-55 STM kit, Rebel T8i + 18-55mm STM kit, EF → RF basic adapter, 5D Mark IV (BO), and BG-E21 in stock, along with a bunch of various ink and toner cartridges. Apparently I only get the 81 most popular products for each search, because none of the higher end stuff is showing up when I tell it all Canon products and the ink cartridges fill up the list.

The 1D X Mark III, R5 + RF 24-105/4L, EF 8-15/4L, 90D, EL-1, EOS RP (BO), WFT-R10A, EF-S 15-85mm, Rebel SL3 + 15-85mm STM kit, 600EX II-RT, EF-M 32/1.4, RF 35/1.8 Macro, RF 24-105/4-7.1, EF → RF Control Ring Adapter, EF → RF Drop-In Filter Adapter, EF→EOS-M Adapter, BG-E20, EVF-DC1, EVF-DC2, BG-E22, are available for later pickup or direct shipping.

The 6D Mark II (BO) is available only with direct shipping.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
As I said, sad for you. At the location 2 miles from my house, today (in one hour from placing an online order) I could pick up an EOS R with or without 24-105 non-L or an R6. No L-series RF lenses (they do have the 35/1.8 and 50/1.8). For EF lenses they have the 16-35/2.8L III, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L III, 100-400/4.5-5.6L II, and 100/2.8L Macro – 5 lenses over $1K in stock (plus several non-L EF and EF-S lenses). I'm sure Best Buy knows what items sell best in which regions. I suppose I'm fortunate to live in a fairly affluent region.

There are 3 Hunts Photo locations within a 30 minute drive from my house, and they have several RF L-series lenses in stock (14-35, 70-200/4, 100 macro, and 50/1.2). I picked up an RF 1.4x extender there a couple of weeks ago. They have the R, RP, R5 and R6 in stock. Many places in the country don't even have dedicated photo stores any more. As I said, fortunate to be in an affluent area.

Probably both affluent as well as very densely populated. None of the Nashville Best Buy stores have that much stock and they have some fairly affluent areas where all the music publishing magnates, insurance magnates (insurance makes more money in Nashville than music does), state political lobbyists, doctors from Vanderbilt Medical Center, old money, etc. live. But there are less than 2M people in all of the Nashville MSA.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
In Japan, the two best-selling ILCs for December were the M50 II (white and black versions). The 250D/SL3 was #3, and the 850D was #6.

That sounds like 'academic publication code'. As in 'It is known that...' means 'I think' and 'It is well known that...' means me and a few of my colleagues think.

The 5DII came out in 2008 and in 2010 came the v2 firmware that significantly enhanced video features.

1) My point exactly, the much older and cheaper 250D/SL3 is still outselling the 850D.

2) Oh, come on. You know there were all kinds of rumors and discussions here and elsewhere about it, just as there were about problems with the readout speed of the sensor that eventually wound up in the R5 after the EOS R came out in 2018 made with 5D Mark IV parts and then the RP had the 6D II sensor in it.

3) I wasn't aware of that one because I don't do any real video shooting and I didn't buy a 5D II until early 2011, so mine came with that firmware already installed. That's still a pretty short list.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016

Not really that sad for me. I can get anything in stock at B&H via FedEx Ground (free shipping) in two business days. Every camera body I've bought from them was shipped FedEx Express Overnight,

The point is Brick & Mortar camera stores or even big box stores with a wide selection of higher end cameras and lenses in most places are a thing of the past.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
2) Oh, come on. You know there were all kinds of rumors and discussions here and elsewhere about it, just as there were about problems with the readout speed of the sensor that eventually wound up in the R5 after the EOS R came out in 2018 made with 5D Mark IV parts and then the RP had the 6D II sensor in it.
I remember some whining about, "I want a 7DII and Canon hasn't given me one yet so there must be some reason for the delay," followed by various speculative reasons. Certainly nothing was confirmed. Frankly, it sounds like a lot of excuses. The 7DII was supposed to come earlier, but... There was supposed to be a 7DIII, but... Really still boils down to Canon not releasing the 7DII until 5 years after the 7D and never releasing a 7DIII. Canon...the company that has led the ILC market for two decades and knows a lot more about the market than any of us. You can make up whatever reasons you want for the lack of priority given to the 7-series. The bottom line is Canon undoubtedly made informed decisions and the line was not a priority.

3) I wasn't aware of that one because I don't do any real video shooting and I didn't buy a 5D II until early 2011, so mine came with that firmware already installed. That's still a pretty short list.
The v2 firmware for the 1D X was two years in, and added EC in M with Auto ISO, constant exposure with lens changes, and substantially enhanced AF customization options. The original EOS M got a v2 firmware update that substantially improved Servo AF speed (I had that camera from around launch time, before the update Servo mode was basically unusable for anything moving except snails, turtles and my kids when told to go brush their teeth).

The point is, the 7D was not unique in getting substantial improvements via firmware update, so using that argument to support the speculative reasons for the 5-year gap before the 7DII is not valid.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I remember some whining about, "I want a 7DII and Canon hasn't given me one yet so there must be some reason for the delay," followed by various speculative reasons. Certainly nothing was confirmed. Frankly, it sounds like a lot of excuses. The 7DII was supposed to come earlier, but... There was supposed to be a 7DIII, but... Really still boils down to Canon not releasing the 7DII until 5 years after the 7D and never releasing a 7DIII. Canon...the company that has led the ILC market for two decades and knows a lot more about the market than any of us. You can make up whatever reasons you want for the lack of priority given to the 7-series. The bottom line is Canon undoubtedly made informed decisions and the line was not a priority.

The v2 firmware for the 1D X was two years in, and added EC in M with Auto ISO, constant exposure with lens changes, and substantially enhanced AF customization options. The original EOS M got a v2 firmware update that substantially improved Servo AF speed (I had that camera from around launch time, before the update Servo mode was basically unusable for anything moving except snails, turtles and my kids when told to go brush their teeth).

The point is, the 7D was not unique in getting substantial improvements via firmware update, so using that argument to support the speculative reasons for the 5-year gap before the 7DII is not valid.

I'm aware of the 1D X v.2 and EOS M v.2 Updates. We'll have to agree to disagree that they were as significant as the increased (unlocked) buffer capacity in the 7D that almost doubled the number of raw files that could be shot in burst mode before the camera bogged down. It was enough of a difference to make shooting sports practical saving raw files instead of JPEGs, when it had not been practical before.

Upvote 0
So..... back to the original thread. Is Canon, now that it has officially abandoned DSLR users in favour of mirrorless only,actually going to release an equivalent mirrorless camera to the 7D MK2 so that, with the aid of a simple mount converter, we who have over 20 years investment in high end lenses can still make use of them in the same way as we have done all these years. Its a simple request. CANON- are you listening????????
Or as I suspect, are you (Canon) just forcing people down an ever increasing cost pathway in having to replace bodies and eventually lenses with more expensive RF mount equivalents. I suspect this is so.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Knock yourself out.

I’ve seen a few today, including one that just drove past me (I’m parked).

There were 250K sold in the US last year, the Camry sold about 315K units (according to Car & Driver).

The fact that you haven’t seen any Corollas nicely illustrates what I keep saying about the worthlessness of anecdotal observations. Anecdotes ≠ data.
The 2022 Corolla is not your grandfather’s Corolla. It is a little shorter than the Camry, but in casual observation could easily be mistaken for one. The biggest difference is in size and power of the engine. There are likely differences in interior trim with fewer options for significant upgrades in the Corolla.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The 2022 Corolla is not your grandfather’s Corolla. It is a little shorter than the Camry, but in casual observation could easily be mistaken for one. The biggest difference is in size and power of the engine. There are likely differences in interior trim with fewer options for significant upgrades in the Corolla.
My grandfather drove a Honda Accord. :p

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Not really that sad for me. I can get anything in stock at B&H via FedEx Ground (free shipping) in two business days. Every camera body I've bought from them was shipped FedEx Express Overnight,

The point is Brick & Mortar camera stores or even big box stores with a wide selection of higher end cameras and lenses in most places are a thing of the past.
I had not been to a Best Buy in a long time until last month when I headed down to the one where I used to buy camera equipment. Before the pandemic I was able to stop by and purchase almost anything I wanted off the shelf. There was always at least one knowledgeable staff member who could advise me on Canon gear. For example, driving home from a classmate’s funeral a few years ago, I decided that life was too short and too uncertain to wait for my birthday to buy the EF 16–35mm zoom, so I stopped at that Best Buy and had the lens right then. (I did live, and therefore thought I had to buy myself something else for my birthday. I got an Apple Watch instead of a new car, the two things I thought of.) My last purchase there was the G5X II shortly after it came out, and they had the Sony alternative and the Canon M50 in stock for me to look at as possibilities.

My recent visit found that they still had the Black Friday price on a top-rated 65” OLED TV, so I bought it. If I don’t get a medium format camera and can’t travel much of anywhere, I might as well spend money on something. They were remodeling and rearranging the store. With some effort I found the new photo gear location. They had just one R-series camera (I don’t recall which one), a bunch of EF lenses, and a few Canon DSLRs. (I didn’t pay attention to other brands.) So it appeared that stock had not be refreshed for a long time, or at best they had sold just the recent stuff.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
So..... back to the original thread. Is Canon, now that it has officially abandoned DSLR users in favour of mirrorless only,actually going to release an equivalent mirrorless camera to the 7D MK2 so that, with the aid of a simple mount converter, we who have over 20 years investment in high end lenses can still make use of them in the same way as we have done all these years. Its a simple request. CANON- are you listening????????
Or as I suspect, are you (Canon) just forcing people down an ever increasing cost pathway in having to replace bodies and eventually lenses with more expensive RF mount equivalents. I suspect this is so.

If Canon does release a "higher end" APS-C camera in the RF mount, it's more likely to be an extension of the x0D line (90D, 80D, 70D, etc.) than the 7D Mark II.

- Polycarbonate instead of magnesium alloy body.
- Shorter shutter life rating than the R6 or 7D mark II
- Slightly de-rated AF system compared to the R6 and R5
- Slower maximum frame rates than the R6/R5
- Only one memory card slot

When Canon released the 90D and M6 Mark II without releasing an updated 7D Mark II with the same sensor they might have been signaling that they would no longer be making APS-C bodies with the durability, weather resistance, AF system, and dual card slots of the 1-series. The 7D Mark II is the closest Canon has ever came to making a "mini" 1-series digital body with a smaller APS-C sensor and no built-in grip w/large battery.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I had not been to a Best Buy in a long time until last month when I headed down to the one where I used to buy camera equipment. Before the pandemic I was able to stop by and purchase almost anything I wanted off the shelf. There was always at least one knowledgeable staff member who could advise me on Canon gear. For example, driving home from a classmate’s funeral a few years ago, I decided that life was too short and too uncertain to wait for my birthday to buy the EF 16–35mm zoom, so I stopped at that Best Buy and had the lens right then. (I did live, and therefore thought I had to buy myself something else for my birthday. I got an Apple Watch instead of a new car, the two things I thought of.) My last purchase there was the G5X II shortly after it came out, and they had the Sony alternative and the Canon M50 in stock for me to look at as possibilities.

My recent visit found that they still had the Black Friday price on a top-rated 65” OLED TV, so I bought it. If I don’t get a medium format camera and can’t travel much of anywhere, I might as well spend money on something. They were remodeling and rearranging the store. With some effort I found the new photo gear location. They had just one R-series camera (I don’t recall which one), a bunch of EF lenses, and a few Canon DSLRs. (I didn’t pay attention to other brands.) So it appeared that stock had not be refreshed for a long time, or at best they had sold just the recent stuff.

The last piece of camera gear I bought from them was a 50D + EF 28-135mm kit back in late 2009. I needed the camera body for a shoot the next day and couldn't find a body only anywhere in the area. I never really used that lens much at all. It's been on permanent loan to a local high school Art/Photography department for several years now, along with my original 7D body.

But I used to always slide through the camera department just to see what they had (and maybe see if any cool accessories were on clearance) when shopping for music CDs and DVD/Blu-Ray videos. The only two that are within reasonable driving distance of me haven't had much of anything above the Rebel lines, a current x0D, and a current 5D and/or 6D body in a long time. The only non-consumer lenses they carried (apart from the 5D kits with 24-105/4, they never had body only in stock) were the 24-70/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8 and/or the 70-200/4. They didn't have many consumer lenses beyond the current version of the "nifty fifty", the EF 75-300 (yuck!) and EF-S 55-250mm, and sometimes maybe an EF 85/1.8. I think they also usually had the EF-S 24mm and EF 40mm STM pancake lenses after they came out.

Upvote 0
If Canon does release a "higher end" APS-C camera in the RF mount, it's more likely to be an extension of the x0D line (90D, 80D, 70D, etc.) than the 7D Mark II.

- Polycarbonate instead of magnesium alloy body.
- Shorter shutter life rating than the R6 or 7D mark II
- Slightly de-rated AF system compared to the R6 and R5
- Slower maximum frame rates than the R6/R5
- Only one memory card slot

When Canon released the 90D and M6 Mark II without releasing an updated 7D Mark II with the same sensor they might have been signaling that they would no longer be making APS-C bodies with the durability, weather resistance, AF system, and dual card slots of the 1-series. The 7D Mark II is the closest Canon has ever came to making a "mini" 1-series digital body with a smaller APS-C sensor and no built-in grip w/large battery.
The last piece of camera gear I bought from them was a 50D + EF 28-135mm kit back in late 2009. I needed the camera body for a shoot the next day and couldn't find a body only anywhere in the area. I never really used that lens much at all. It's been on permanent loan to a local high school Art/Photography department for several years now, along with my original 7D body.

But I used to always slide through the camera department just to see what they had (and maybe see if any cool accessories were on clearance) when shopping for music CDs and DVD/Blu-Ray videos. The only two that are within reasonable driving distance of me haven't had much of anything above the Rebel lines, a current x0D, and a current 5D and/or 6D body in a long time. The only non-consumer lenses they carried (apart from the 5D kits with 24-105/4, they never had body only in stock) were the 24-70/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8 and/or the 70-200/4. They didn't have many consumer lenses beyond the current version of the "nifty fifty", the EF 75-300 (yuck!) and EF-S 55-250mm, and sometimes maybe an EF 85/1.8. I think they also usually had the EF-S 24mm and EF 40mm STM pancake lenses after they came out.

Upvote 0
I was not sure there would even be an APS-c mirrorless camera while ever the M series was around. Now we hear of the likely demise of that series it would be nice if Canon did produce a mirrorless equivalent of the 7D mk2. It doesnt necessarily follow that it has to be a lower quality poly-bodied one as the sales over the years of the 7D iterations was good because wildlife enthusiasts recognised the extra reach you could get from the sensor magnification. Add on a X1.4extender and a 100-400mm zoom and you had a great and versatile combination. I believe there are many out there that would like to see this continue in the mirrorless future. A cheaper body with poor weather sealing would be no use.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I was not sure there would even be an APS-c mirrorless camera while ever the M series was around. Now we hear of the likely demise of that series it would be nice if Canon did produce a mirrorless equivalent of the 7D mk2. It doesnt necessarily follow that it has to be a lower quality poly-bodied one as the sales over the years of the 7D iterations was good because wildlife enthusiasts recognised the extra reach you could get from the sensor magnification. Add on a X1.4extender and a 100-400mm zoom and you had a great and versatile combination. I believe there are many out there that would like to see this continue in the mirrorless future. A cheaper body with poor weather sealing would be no use.

I hear you. I too would like an R7. But Canon gave us the 90D and M6 Mark II in mid-2019, and did not give us the 7D Mark III.

As far as the demise of the EOS M system is concerned, I think those reports are greatly exaggerated. Canon seems to be selling an awful lot of EOS M cameras and lenses compared to the numbers for their other products.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I was not sure there would even be an APS-c mirrorless camera while ever the M series was around. Now we hear of the likely demise of that series…
I hear the earth is flat, too. Probably from sources with similar knowledge and credibility.

...it would be nice if Canon did produce a mirrorless equivalent of the 7D mk2. It doesnt necessarily follow that it has to be a lower quality poly-bodied one as the sales over the years of the 7D iterations was good because wildlife enthusiasts recognised the extra reach you could get from the sensor magnification. Add on a X1.4extender and a 100-400mm zoom and you had a great and versatile combination. I believe there are many out there that would like to see this continue in the mirrorless future. A cheaper body with poor weather sealing would be no use.
You 'believe there would be many out there'. The thing is, Canon has far better knowledge of that than any of us on this forum. Yet they chose to wait 5 years between the 7D and 7DII, and to not make a 7DIII. That certainly suggests they believe there are not really that many.

Also, consider your post in totality – the demise of the M series...a cheaper body with poor weather sealing would be no use. Are you unaware that the entry level bodies sell very, very well? For the past couple of years the top 10 best-selling camera kits in Japan have included the EOS M50 II, EOS M50, 250D/SL3 and 850D? Because some of those come in different colors and 1- and 2-lens kit flavors, it's not uncommon in a given month to have 6 of the top ten slots taken by those cameras. So we 'hear of the demise of the M line' and 'we hear of the demise of the DSLR' (the latter even more frequently) and then you suggest there is no use for a cheaper body with poor weather sealing. Sorry, that really makes no sense at all.

I understand the desire. Personally, when I shot with a gripped 7D, I really wanted Canon to release a mini-1-series body with an APS-C sensor. Now, having shot with the 1D X for 9 years and not the R3, I would not choose to go back to APS-C for the bulk of my photography, although I do have the M6 and use that occasionally for travel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0