Here are some Canon EOS R5 C specifications

I seem to remember seeing DR tests showing the R5 sensor is only capable of 11 stops in video so well within CLog 1 even when shooting RAW. Most of the DR of CLog 2 when shooting RAW on the R5 is noise so totally pointless. What the R5(C) needs is a better sensor for video.

It's difficult to loosely compare DR numbers across various forums. People mean and quote different things depending on brand loyalty and agenda. 11 measured stops for the R5 seems low to me, but would fit better in a 'usable stops' context. But such statements are very subjective.
And again, Canon Log 2 doesn't 'have' or 'increase' DR of a camera. But due to the way it maps light information, it makes darker and brighter regions more easily available for grading by having more data values given to them at the time of encoding (non raw). But giving more values to dark shadows and bright highlights mean you are taking those values from somewhere else: namely the actually important part of the image that might benefit more from having better tonality.

For lighter codes such as 8-bit, long GOP compressed, it's better to encode the light information in a way that more closely resembles the end result you're aiming for (even if it's at a cost of less flexibility in post).

With today's 10-bit, 422 codecs, it starts to make sense to use flatter log curves like Canon Log 2, but more often than not, something like Canon Log 3 is a good Goldilocks acquisition format.

Once you commit to recording in high bit depth (12+ bits), high data rate raw codecs, the flattest choice—Canon Log 2—is a great choice for maximum flexibility. But since you record "raw" you can apply/change the gamma curve in post.

The DR of the R5C is surely a non issue. It will be sufficient for any project—that's for sure.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
It's difficult to loosely compare DR numbers across various forums. People mean and quote different things depending on brand loyalty and agenda. 11 measured stops for the R5 seems low to me, but would fit better in a 'usable stops' context. But such statements are very subjective.
And again, Canon Log 2 doesn't 'have' or 'increase' DR of a camera. But due to the way it maps light information, it makes darker and brighter regions more easily available for grading by having more data values given to them at the time of encoding (non raw). But giving more values to dark shadows and bright highlights mean you are taking those values from somewhere else: namely the actually important part of the image that might benefit more from having better tonality.

For lighter codes such as 8-bit, long GOP compressed, it's better to encode the light information in a way that more closely resembles the end result you're aiming for (even if it's at a cost of less flexibility in post).

With today's 10-bit, 422 codecs, it starts to make sense to use flatter log curves like Canon Log 2, but more often than not, something like Canon Log 3 is a good Goldilocks acquisition format.

Once you commit to recording in high bit depth (12+ bits), high data rate raw codecs, the flattest choice—Canon Log 2—is a great choice for maximum flexibility. But since you record "raw" you can apply/change the gamma curve in post.

The DR of the R5C is surely a non issue. It will be sufficient for any project—that's for sure.
Interesting read here - Cine D Canon EOS R5 Lab Test

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I like the Cine D DR tests, if for no other reason that as long as you compare only between their tests, the methods are at least constant.

But it also highlights what I alluded to above: the measured patch range of 16.8 is a number that other camera brands users would quote as "17-ish stops".

Normally, when you measure a patch range of almost 17, I'd expect to comfortably get 13 usable stops. In this case Cine D shows quite a bit of a drop off down to just below 11.

I haven't dug into this data, or graded many R5 clips myself, so I haven't paid much attention to it.

I owned the 1Dc and went to the 1Dx mkII, which I still have + a Blackmagic Pocket 6K. It's hard to imagine getting rid of the P6K, since it's so good value, but I'll watch the R5c presentation. I thought I'd end up with the R5 but there was too much uncertainty at launch with overheating and so on.

The R5c looks like a good entry into RF for me.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
The photo side, too, has been having third party supplier issues with accessories. Lots of lens hoods have been coming out a few months after the lenses themselves. I got a 800mm f/11 hood about half a year after I got the lens. People complained that it didn't come with the lens, but I'm pretty sure Canon just didn't have them in hand. This predated the logistics crisis.
Hoods come with L, not non L. Say it again with me.....

Ugh, I cannot believe the endless complaining some constantly churn out. Acceptance is part of life folks yet some think whining here on this forum helps create change within Canon, bwahahahaha
Not directed at you tiggy :)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Being it's now 2022 one may suspect that this device has an SDexpress bus installed in the SD slot. Most likely will be enabled by update if not already.
I hear there is a lot of industry pressure on Canon to implement SDExpress since what they adapt becomes standard more than anyone else in the industry.
They have been burned a lot with things like HEVC so they might be a little hesitant.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I don't agree, there is a huge problem with it, Cause there is no way to know where are you regarding ND level No scale or markers to know how many stops did you close the light. SO when you film something where consistency is important you have to guess visually where your ND stop was to match it.
Kolari Vision makes fixed ND filters that you can use with it.
The only problem is that they can't be swapped without temporarily compromising the weather sealing.
Front filters and built-in ND filters do not have that problem.
There are adapters with fixed ND filters as well but those are not weather sealed either.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
That depends on where you are in the world. For example, if you buy a nifty 50/1.8 in Malaysia, it includes the hood.
Hmmm, semi-interesting tidbit. Still, I'll take the CPW with Gordon, Canon USA support and CPS with Canon benefits of living here and over a nifty fifty hood. (The images my Malaysian friends share are simply incredible though btw.)

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Yes, the Z9 is supposed to record raw but not uncompressed raw. 8k60 to be released in firmware sometime this year and will use a new raw codec by intoPix which hasn't been released yet... let alone supported by NLEs. The codec appears to be lossless but they don't actually say so...
"do[es] not compromise image integrity at all thanks to “innovative processing and coding.” intoPIX says the full power of an image sensor is preserved"
https://petapixel.com/2021/12/07/nikon-z9-to-shoot-8k-at-60fps-thanks-to-new-compressed-raw-codec/

The Z9 has been delivered to some within the last 3 weeks or so. Can you point to a link that contains a review of the 8k raw video on a production model?
It will be interesting that the R5c will be compared to the Z9 - at least at the top line 8k60 spec and pricing. There will be many you tube clips I am sure!
Canon's R5c availability date may rain on some of the Z9's parade.
The RR5C will only record 8K 60 fps when connected to external power. That’s a pretty significant difference to the fully mobile 8K 60fps of the Nikon.

Upvote 0