Here are some Canon EOS R5 C specifications

SD slot is backwards compatible for the new SDexpress bus, the fastest card media data transmission rate at this time and in the near future. Research SDexpress. Most new laptops and computers will come with what appears as an SD slot, but has the new SDexpress bus.
SD Express will be externally physically backward compatible with other SD card formats but not speed wise (pin layout). If you put a USH-ii card (or UHS-iii card if they were available) in a SD Express slot, the max speed is UHS-i speed.
I have a brand new macbook Pro and the SD card slot is UHS-ii so your assertion is still in the medium term future.

Can you point to any available SD Express cards available in the market? There are a couple of announcements but no availability or pricing yet.

Upvote 0
Being it's now 2022 one may suspect that this device has an SDexpress bus installed in the SD slot. Most likely will be enabled by update if not already.
Canon could have put a UHS-iii slot in the R5 given the spec was released in 2017 but chose not to (or controllers were not available). Specs are one thing. Commercial reality is completely different. UHS-iii will be bypassed completely in my opinion. SD Express looks interesting but only backward compatible with UHS-i speeds ie UHS-ii cards are slow in a SD Express slot.

Upvote 0
The RR5C will only record 8K 60 fps when connected to external power. That’s a pretty significant difference to the fully mobile 8K 60fps of the Nikon.
Depending on the availability of the R5c vs Z9's firmware update, Canon could be first to market with both 8k30 (R5) and 8k60 in a hybrid camera.
8k60 with a single battery would be even more impressive but I guess wouldn't have a significantly long record time and Canon are being conservative (for a change!). I wonder if Canon would define a grip (2 batteries) to be "external power".
Powering the external Tascam module would basically mean needing external power as well. Craig does mention a special wall power accessory which will be interesting to see

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
SD Express will be externally physically backward compatible with other SD card formats but not speed wise (pin layout). If you put a USH-ii card (or UHS-iii card if they were available) in a SD Express slot, the max speed is UHS-i speed.
I have a brand new macbook Pro and the SD card slot is UHS-ii so your assertion is still in the medium term future.

Can you point to any available SD Express cards available in the market? There are a couple of announcements but no availability or pricing yet.
The latest Macbook Pro is not quite on the level of a gaming console and it's slot does not support the latest and fastest SD standards. It tops out at a paltry 312MB/s. Your other comment is true with any card and host. Even all CFexpress cards are not compatible with all host. Canon list compatible cards. Canon, Sony, and Nikon are on the SD express consortium. They are well aware of the future trends and manufacturing agreements. Any high speed cards can be used in UHS-I, UHS-II, UHS-III and SD Express host devices. Faster performance levels will only be attained when matching the card to the host device. Check out the new powerfull ASUS studio book and scroll down and see what card slot it comes with.
Video games have micro SD express slots, and new gaming laptops have SDexpress slots. Check out the slots on these new gaming consoles to be released this year in 2022. "Card Reader.....SDexpress"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The divise will undoubtedly have the Pcie Host installed as Canon is on the SD board of advisors. Just because you can't find an sd card in stores doesn't mean that the SD Host won't be installed in the device.
Knowing Canon, I doubt. Why should they include a new chip supporting the forthcoming standard when using the current chip 1) costs less meaning more profit, 2) is less likely to suffer from supply chain issues, 3) using the new chip in the R5 II can drive upgrades, and 4) did I mention costs less meaning more profit?

Upvote 0
The latest Macbook Pro is not quite on the level of a gaming console and it's slot does not support the latest and fastest SD standards. It tops out at a paltry 312MB/s.
~300MB/s is the current UHS-ii standard. I am not sure what you are referring to as there are no faster SD card media available. The macbook pro is one of the fastest PCs on the market especially on a per watt basis. It might not have video games released supporting that speed but to say that "gaming consoles" relate to having the fastest SD card slots in them seems strange to mention in a photography forum when no camera supports SD Express cards. Why would gaming consoles need fast SD cards?

Your other comment is true with any card and host.
Canon is on the SD association board. They are well aware of the future trends and manufacturing agreements. Any high speed cards can be used in UHS-I, UHS-II, UHS-III and SD Express host devices. Faster performance levels will only be attained when matching the card to the host device.
Not quite true. UHS-iii and UHS-ii are backward compatible for all host/card but SD Express is not.
1642553021852.png

Even all CFexpress cards are not compatible with all host. Canon list compatible cards.
Correct. The R5 and 1DX (and I assume R3) will have minimum CFe write speeds needed to support burst and high bandwidth video recording. They are all using the same physical/electrical format though. No new controller is needed. CFe-Type C will never be released in my opinion

Video games have micro SD express slots, and new gaming laptops have SDexpress slots. Check out the slots on these new gaming consoles to be released this year in 2022. "Card Reader.....SDexpress"
I am not following your point here. Some new PCs have been announced (but not released) using SD Express slots. There is no media and they are not backward compatible with UHS-ii speeds.

I agree that SD Express is the logical solution to match CFe speeds but it will be some time (years?) before it makes sense to use it in camera bodies.
Sony uses CFe-Type A cards in 4 bodies but Sony is the only supplier and they are expensive and only small capacities. Canon would be crazy to use the dual SD/CFe-A slots with their main competitor as the only media source.

CFe-type B are years ahead of any competing formats. They run hot but nothing else comes close in performance.

Upvote 0
Knowing Canon, I doubt. Why should they include a new chip supporting the forthcoming standard when using the current chip 1) costs less meaning more profit, 2) is less likely to suffer from supply chain issues, 3) using the new chip in the R5 II can drive upgrades, and 4) did I mention costs less meaning more profit?
There really is no reason like you stated to include something different on a platform that works and is making money. Those of us in the video industry whom use reds and arri from time to time deal with one card all the time. Card failures are becoming less and less prevalent and this is a nice way to keep people happy that don’t have cfexpress cards yet. People forget this is not a flagship. This might be a first and I think canon will blow many peoples minds tomorrow. I think it is incredible that they are even offering this.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 10, 2021
SDExpress would be as hot termally as CFExpress if not worse.
This is spec, not implementation, and it accommodates the same single line PCI-E 3.0 and NVMe specs CFExpress cards use, but in a smaller form factor and with different pin layout, i.e. it may even use controllers and memory chips identical to ones in CFExpress cards, with probably even worse heat dissipation because of lesser card area.
We would need a next generation of controllers and memory chips with improved power and thermal characteristics, as Intel and AMD do for CPU, for example.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
SDExpress would be as hot termally as CFExpress if not worse.
This is spec, not implementation, and it accommodates the same single line PCI-E 3.0 and NVMe specs CFExpress cards use, but in a smaller form factor and with different pin layout, i.e. it may even use controllers and memory chips identical to ones in CFExpress cards, with probably even worse heat dissipation because of lesser card area.
We would need a next generation of controllers and memory chips with improved power and thermal characteristics, as Intel and AMD do for CPU, for example.
I would agree with you. An all plastic SD card housing vs the current CFe Type B metal would have very different thermal characteristics.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Does Canon usually allow consumers to preorder on the day of the announcement? Or do they do the announcement and specify a date for preorders to start? I can’t remember what happened with the R3 or R5.
With the R3, there was a development announcement by Canon in April, 2021 then the official launch announcement on 14-Sep. B&H began taking preorders at 6a ET on 14-Sep, and the first batch of R3's that shipped in November when to people who ordered by ~9a ET but later orders still have not been filled AFAIK.

Upvote 0
Does Canon usually allow consumers to preorder on the day of the announcement? Or do they do the announcement and specify a date for preorders to start? I can’t remember what happened with the R3 or R5.
its a bad sign that preorders won't start tomorrow since you can't find the r5c on any product pages anywhere. Usually b&h would have a placeholder at this point, if preorder was tomorrow

Upvote 0

adigoks

EOS 750D
Jul 12, 2020
The R5 does not have C-Log2, not even in raw. Gerald Undone did a test and though you can change the log-curve in post to C-Log2, it's actually treating it like C-Log. Changing it to C-Log2 does not get you the benefits of C-Log2, but actually just makes for a worse C-Log. C-Log3 from capture through post is the best DR for the R5 and will probably be so here as well.
All canon raw is by default interpreted as c-log2 . What Gerald Undone have found is just mixed of being not familiar with how canon raw video works and davinci resolve not working right with canon raw. take a look at pinned comment in this video

Upvote 0