New rumor of Supertelephoto DO’s and the R1 [CR2]

According to a reliable rumor source (thank you!) Canon is testing prototypes of the following DO super telephotos;

RF 400mm f/3.5 DO IS USM
RF 400mm f/4 DO IS USM
RF 500mm f/4.5 DO IS USM
RF 500mm f/5 DO IS USM
RF 800mm f/9.5 DO IS USM

According to the source, only one of these is expected to make it out of the prototype and into production.  The 500mm lenses have had the best results so far, with one of them currently in the wild.
While we didn’t have an RF 500mm DO IS USM on our roadmap, with current supply chain delays Canon may be forced to do something out of order with these lenses.
Interestingly, the source states that Canon hopes to announce this lens either with an actual announcement or development announcement in conjunction with the R1 announcement.   The source mentions that production delays may force Canon to do just a development announcement for this lens this year.  The source is certainly implying that the R1 announcement is expected later on this year.
Canon...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Oh Richard, Wordpress isn't so bad. As fyi, when viewing in "dark mode", the table font is white on a white table, so one needs to do a select (drag and select) the table to see the text.
At Least the issue of typing text has been fixed, but yes using the dark mode with tables makes things quite bad for reading.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
With delivery issues for the R3 and many of the existing lenses Canon are not really in a position to add another high end camera with yet more back orders and exotic lenses in the same position. The other elephant in the room is what are they going to do about the crop Rebel / xxD / xxxD series cameras that they have generated new customers many of which have moved up as they become more affluent.
In many ways Canon should have launched the R1 first and then the R3 then they would have had less pressure the same could be said about the R5C. A R7 for instance to replace the EOS 7D MKII which they launched in September 2014 would I’m sure have a huge following if it’s a crop sensor with at least 32MP.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
  • RF 400mm f/3.5 DO IS USM
  • RF 400mm f/4 DO IS USM
f/3.5 is only 0.4 stops faster and will add expense, width and weight
  • RF 500mm f/4.5 DO IS USM
  • RF 500mm f/5 DO IS USM
f/4.5 is only 0.3 stops faster than f/5. f/5 is 1 stop faster than 500mm f/7.1.
  • RF 800mm f/9.5 DO IS USM
is only 0.4 stops faster than the current f/11. So, what's the point unless it is an L with up-rated weather sealing, AF and IS etc?

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
It might actually be a stylesheet issue. Dark mode requires a different color scheme. There were some color issues when the site first rolled out dark mode (I'm color blind and could see the dark red text on a dark background). You need different color schemes for light mode and dark mode to be accessible. Seems the table text and background haven't been similarly updated for dark mode. This should save editing in HTML.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Just my speculation, but I'm not expecting an R1 this year because it's been 15 years since Canon released a flagship sooner than 4 years after the previous one. Of course, doing the first mirrorless version could make this exceptional. And I'm frequently wrong.

They really like to target the early spring prior to a summer olympics, which would put it 2 years out. If this comes to pass, and if it is indeed a <30mp camera (pretty good odds, made more likely with the non-optimized MTF performance of its newly-announced big white superteles), there will be some teeth gnashing, but this would be most consistent with precedent.

Upvote 0
It might actually be a stylesheet issue. Dark mode requires a different color scheme. There were some color issues when the site first rolled out dark mode (I'm color blind and could see the dark red text on a dark background). You need different color schemes for light mode and dark mode to be accessible. Seems the table text and background haven't been similarly updated for dark mode. This should save editing in HTML.

Naw not that easy. the site seems to use a plugin used for tables - I don't seem to have a way to set particular stylesheets for the tables though. have tables been a problem in the past here?

Upvote 0
Get your vocal cords ready. You only need look at the current price for a 500mm f/4 at $9000 to guess the price of a RF version. Probably $12-15K.

I really miss the old "400 mm f5.6 L" days where we could have a GREAT tele Canon lens around $1200. Never was replaced!

Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0