New rumor of Supertelephoto DO’s and the R1 [CR2]

I really miss the old "400 mm f5.6 L" days where we could have a GREAT tele Canon lens around $1200. Never was replaced!
yeah but that lens came out in 1993 for around 185000 Yen (1600 USD in today's exchange). that would be around $3100 USD today if it came out .. without IS, modern EF,etc. i'm not even sure they just didn't take the FD lens and convert it tbh. they did that alot back then.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
500mm f/5 hmm interesting. Still I know a Nikon lens that is 500mm f/5.6PF that is in ... my bag :D

So maybe something over 600 would tempt me.

I wonder about 800 f/9.5. Isn't is a little "dark"? It will have to be very short and very light to be interesting. Otherwise there is this thing like 400mm DO II + 2XIII + EOS-R adapter

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Just my speculation, but I'm not expecting an R1 this year because it's been 15 years since Canon released a flagship sooner than 4 years after the previous one. Of course, doing the first mirrorless version could make this exceptional. And I'm frequently wrong.

They really like to target the early spring prior to a summer olympics, which would put it 2 years out. If this comes to pass, and if it is indeed a <30mp camera (pretty good odds, made more likely with the non-optimized MTF performance of its newly-announced big white superteles), there will be some teeth gnashing, but this would be most consistent with precedent.

When Canon had the 1D and 1Ds both of them were 1 series, not a flagship - and most certainly came out quickly and without such care. Also, Canon released 1 series of cameras when they basically were able to - sans the 1D that were usually in Olympic years. Historically it's only been the "sports or performance" that had any sort of timetable.

A Canon R1 isn't replacing anything directly, neither the R3 nor the 1DX Mark III. The closest historically to what we have now is when there was a 1DS and 1D line.

Also, Canon in the past has never had two strong competitors each with their "flagship" Z 9 and A1 and Canon without one at all, outside of the 1DX Mark III that doesn't really count in this discussion.

IMO, there's about the same chance in hades freezing over it's going to be less than 45MP. not with the A1 and Z9 both shooting 8K.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
An RF 500 mm f4.5 DO lens would be an excellent lens for low-weight applications. I would buy one the day of the announcement.

Yep, if they can make it really sharp, it could be a cool lightweight replacement for the EF 500 f/4 L, but it needs to be a cut above the 400 and 600 in sharpness to be a proper replacement for the EF 500.

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Just my speculation, but I'm not expecting an R1 this year because it's been 15 years since Canon released a flagship sooner than 4 years after the previous one. Of course, doing the first mirrorless version could make this exceptional. And I'm frequently wrong.

They really like to target the early spring prior to a summer olympics, which would put it 2 years out. If this comes to pass, and if it is indeed a <30mp camera (pretty good odds, made more likely with the non-optimized MTF performance of its newly-announced big white superteles), there will be some teeth gnashing, but this would be most consistent with precedent.
The current RF big whites have similar MTFs, and perform admirably on the 45mp R5, with and without extenders. So I wouldn't take the MTF chart as any indication of anything on the resolution of the R1.
An RF 500 mm f4.5 DO lens would be an excellent lens for low-weight applications. I would buy one the day of the announcement.
Me too, but it'll be 3x too expensive for me.

Brian

Upvote 0

InchMetric

Switched from Nikon. Still zooming the wrong way.
CR Pro
Jun 22, 2021
If they are > 10k I'm gonna cry out.
With the RF 800 at $17k and RF 1200 at $20k, Canon is trumpeting that inflation applies to the camera industry. You won't see the RF 600 for $13k for long. Maybe $15k in a year.

Lots of room then for a $10k DO.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
When Canon had the 1D and 1Ds both of them were 1 series, not a flagship - and most certainly came out quickly and without such care. Also, Canon released 1 series of cameras when they basically were able to - sans the 1D that were usually in Olympic years. Historically it's only been the "sports or performance" that had any sort of timetable.

A Canon R1 isn't replacing anything directly, neither the R3 nor the 1DX Mark III. The closest historically to what we have now is when there was a 1DS and 1D line.

Also, Canon in the past has never had two strong competitors each with their "flagship" Z 9 and A1 and Canon without one at all, outside of the 1DX Mark III that doesn't really count in this discussion.

IMO, there's also no chance in hades freezing over it's going to be less than 45MP. not with the A1 and Z9 both shooting 8K.
Yes I think 45MP is the minimum it will be. It's the first time in my memory than Canon was not the premier full frame camera. The R3 was an unusual camera at the time, very good but not the best, it was if it were developed but outpaced by the time it got to the market. Either that or the R1 couldn't be what they wanted to be so they brought out what they had. Personally for me the 20MP on the IDX Mark III and 24MP R3 were undercooked. 30MP in both cases would have made for a better camera. I await the R1. I can't wait for it.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
500mm f/5 hmm interesting. Still I know a Nikon lens that is 500mm f/5.6PF that is in ... my bag :D

So maybe something over 600 would tempt me.

I wonder about 800 f/9.5. Isn't is a little "dark"? It will have to be very short and very light to be interesting. Otherwise there is this thing like 400mm DO II + 2XIII + EOS-R adapter
A lot of people like that 800mm f/11, so it might not be too bad on RF with how well the newer cameras do in low light conditions. I imagine it’s targeted at day time nature and sports.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
A lot of people like that 800mm f/11, so it might not be too bad on RF with how well the newer cameras do in low light conditions. I imagine it’s targeted at day time nature and sports.
800mm f/11 has a reasonable price. I believe the new DO optic will cost over 6K (judging from the price of 400mm DO f/4 IS II) so a 6K or more for a 800 f/9.5 will be out of the question. As Alan mentioned the 800 f/11 has 0.4 stops only difference.

A 500mm f/5 DO IS might be the most reasonable choice. It will give Canon the excuse to ask a lot (more than the 400DO II price) and it will be small and light enough to be used by mane people. Finally, it will accept tele-converters well (judging again by 400DOII).

All of the above are of course just my opinion.

EDIT: I forgot to add what lens would tempt me: A 600mm f/6.3 DO IS. But this is not an option.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Yes I think 45MP is the minimum it will be. It's the first time in my memory than Canon was not the premier full frame camera. The R3 was an unusual camera at the time, very good but not the best, it was if it were developed but outpaced by the time it got to the market. Either that or the R1 couldn't be what they wanted to be so they brought out what they had. Personally for me the 20MP on the IDX Mark III and 24MP R3 were undercooked. 30MP in both cases would have made for a better camera. I await the R1. I can't wait for it.
I can wait - the R5 is doing all I want for now. Maybe I don't want enough at present?

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
The 500mm F/5 DO would be a very, very interesting lens to me. I've always been a fan of the Nikon 500mm F/5.6, if Canon can get an F/5 anywhere close to as small as the Nikon 5.6, this could be one of the best birding lenses out there. I have no problem with my 100-400 at 5.6 and 560mm F/8, so this would be a big step up in reach and in aperture for those uses. I never particularly found the 400mm DO as compelling, since it gives a brighter aperture but the same reach. I'd greatly prefer something that, unextended, gives me more reach with the ability to get closer.

The 500mm F/4L IS II has been on my list for a while, so a smaller, lighter, slightly darker version would be a big draw for me, especially depending on the price.

Upvote 0

My thoughts also. I didn't expect an R1 announcement till fall of 2023 at earliest with release early 2024. But hey, I love gear so bring it on Canon!!

My choice out of all these DO lenses would be the 500 f/4.5

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I hope that the 500 and 800 Do won't coast five figures..
A 500 f/4.5 would surely cost 5 figures. An f/5 maybe not. That 800 probably wouldn't hit 5 figures as it is just 1/2 stop slower than the current 800/11 which is dirt cheap. I actually can't imagine them releasing an 800 f/9.5...doesn't make much sense. 800/8 maybe.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 387325

Very happy with the R5 but excited for the R1 as I plan on upgrading, assuming it’s a high MP “jack-of-all-trades” to compete with the A1 and Z9.

With supply issues being the way they are I could see Canon teasing this for the better part of a year, similar to the R5 rollout. They need a presence in the flagship discussion before 2024 with what Nikon is doing with their pricing and super teles. Competition is heating up. I’d guess a tease later in the year, nearly a year of teases, and then a release for the following Olympics.

I’d like to see a 500PF competitor from Canon here. Would be quite happy with an f/5 provided they don’t hold back with optics quality and sealing. Nikon deserves a ton of credit for their 500PF and raising the bar here; they left nothing on the table with that lens and the sales and happy customers prove that. With this release, Canon needs to step their DO quality up to compete in this space, especially following Nikon’s 400 and 800PF teases, or risk losing many of the wildlife shooters to them, IMO.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2019
The Nikon PF 500mm f5.6 lens is a pretty epic wildlife/bird lens, for anyone that doesn't want one of the big fast telephoto primes, either because of weight or cost. It's basically as sharp as the big lenses, but lighter than a 100-400 zoom. I have absolutely no idea why Canon didn't learn from this and produce an equivalent, but one that they could actually supply to anyone who wanted one. It would be a hugely popular lens with nature photographers. Yes, to some extent the 100-500mm zoom has filled this niche. But it is not a prime, and it is 2/3 stop slower, even if the weight and cost are similar. A 500mm f5 would be nice, but expect it to be bigger, and more expensive.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0