Canon to Fix ‘R5 Freeze’ Issue in Firmware

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Clicked on the link to camnostic. I didn't know this site existed until you took over the reigns at CR. Camnostic is a superb site and I'd urge everyone here to check it out, if they haven'y already done so. The R3 review is by a long way the most intelligent and useful review I've read anywhere!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Refraction

CR Pro
Sep 5, 2020
Can you describe how exactly the AF got crippled?

EDIT: ignore that please. I just read some of your posts.

I did not have eye AF issues with 1.5.0 but I shot only static subjects using 24-70 and 85 1.2 indoors.
The AF has been amazing for picking up subjects in busy scenes and holding onto them. Busy, not necessarily fast paced. 95% of what we do is wedding photography and videography and the difference between 1.4 and 1.5 is major. If I was not able to dial it back, I would be seriously considering a change of equipment. My theory is that it is no coincidence the change happened at the same time the R3 was released. If the R5 had worse AF than the R3 I would have to consider an upgrade (or a move to Sony)

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
My R5 has never frozen, and no focus issues. I tend to use it in closer to the out of the box settings, except for using FTP to immediately download images. I do have a few options saved. I probably just don't use it enough to see the issue.
I think it would be advisable, for people who are having *serious* issues with freezing, to keep the camera as close to factory settings as possible, until firmware is available to fix the problem. But for most people the freezes seem to be a fairly rare occurrence and they'll probably be happy to keep any minor customisations they've made.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Weather was not excellent today so I chose to do other things in order to have spare time another weekend. So R5's AF behaviour with 1.4.0 remains to be seen but tests seem encouraging. As I mentioned before I have no lockups up to now in all firmware releases (starting from the original one).

I want it to be top shape because I am amazed with the IQ and IS of RF100-500. In the Spring the zoom and close focusing ability will make this lens very versatile (birds, flowers, flowers with flying ... visitors, etc).

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Weather was not excellent today so I chose to do other things in order to have spare time another weekend. So R5's AF behaviour with 1.4.0 remains to be seen but tests seem encouraging. As I mentioned before I have no lockups up to now in all firmware releases (starting from the original one).

I want it to be top shape because I am amazed with the IQ and IS of RF100-500. In the Spring the zoom and close focusing ability will make this lens very versatile (birds, flowers, flowers with flying ... visitors, etc).
I couldn't believe it when I found that the 100-500mm rivals the 500PF prime for IQ, and its IS is in a different league. What's more, it holds up with extenders.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Dont be a dick.
Don’t post nonsensical bullish!t. Given that Canon added new R3 AF features to the R5, it seems very farfetched to think they intentionally hampered the performance of the R5 in order to boost R3 sales. Could there be coding errors leading to problems? Of course. But please, sell your asinine conspiracy theories somewhere else. I’m sure if you’re Qlever, you can find people who’ll swallow that tripe.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I've not had any lockup issues with my R5 in about a year of use. Fingers crossed it stays that way.
Also, not updated to 1.5 firmware given all the talk about focus issues. Hopefully the upcoming FW sorts both issues out.
I've had only one minor freeze, or maybe it was two, in 56,000 shots, and it just required switching off and on. It has not frozen since upgrading to 1.5.

Upvote 0
Bought an R5 this year, came with 1.5 by default. Multiple freeze/crash on the maiden voyage.
Got a replacement still crashed. Updated it to 1.5.1 as advised, and still got a freeze. Returned it. Great camera, AF, IQ--love it. But this is Canon, and it's a $4000 camera.

I contacted support and they told me to send it to them and they'll have a look. It's not even a week old--they should replace it immediately. I know there is a supply chain issue and I have this maybe irrational theory that not all cameras are getting the standard chip or processor that is why there are some cameras that are having issues.

I know most people probably don't have issues with the R5--but this issue exists. And I also see that it is present in the R3 as well.

This is unacceptable especially for wildlife/bird photographers. Canon has to get their SHIZ together.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

gbc

Oct 19, 2018
Just curious if you’re using the Canon EF to R adapter, or a 3rd party version? Also what version of the 24-70?
I was using two different Canon adapters, one with the control ring and one without, on both an R5 and an R. It was the 24-70L ii. Eventually the problem just went away, but it persisted for a couple weeks. Not sure what happened or what changed to make it stop. Of course, this was after I panic-bought a refurbed RF 24-70, which... I was kinda looking for excuse to buy anyway. Maybe I subconsciously poured some sand into the old lens...

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I was using two different Canon adapters, one with the control ring and one without, on both an R5 and an R. It was the 24-70L ii. Eventually the problem just went away, but it persisted for a couple weeks. Not sure what happened or what changed to make it stop. Of course, this was after I panic-bought a refurbed RF 24-70, which... I was kinda looking for excuse to buy anyway. Maybe I subconsciously poured some sand into the old lens...
The problem stopped because it served its purpose: You bought an RF lens :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
I had about 3 or 4 lockups today on firmware 1.5.1. I installed it today before the shoot. Each time it was a Card 2 freeze (SD card, right?). Turning the camera on and off didn't fix it; only after removing the battery 1-2 times did it resume normal shooting.

I was shooting indoor portraits today with the RF 85mm. Something I noticed was that the lockup usually seemed to happen when there was a lull between shooting, when I was directing the subject or changing the position I was shooting from. Also, I noticed that the red light indicating that it was writing to card seemed to stay on longer than I remember. I think I need to reformat my card (Lexar Professional SDXC 128gb 2000x). Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I am writing RAW+JPEG to both cards (I meant to change it to one format to each card, but forgot).

As far as focusing goes, it did seem a bit better than I remember from previous shoots. But that may be because I'm using RF lenses now instead of adapted EF.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I had about 3 or 4 lockups today on firmware 1.5.1. I installed it today before the shoot. Each time it was a Card 2 freeze (SD card, right?). Turning the camera on and off didn't fix it; only after removing the battery 1-2 times did it resume normal shooting.

I was shooting indoor portraits today with the RF 85mm. Something I noticed was that the lockup usually seemed to happen when there was a lull between shooting, when I was directing the subject or changing the position I was shooting from. Also, I noticed that the red light indicating that it was writing to card seemed to stay on longer than I remember. I think I need to reformat my card (Lexar Professional SDXC 128gb 2000x). Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I am writing RAW+JPEG to both cards (I meant to change it to one format to each card, but forgot).

As far as focusing goes, it did seem a bit better than I remember from previous shoots. But that may be because I'm using RF lenses now instead of adapted EF.
Do a low level format. You can also run a check for bad sectors on the card.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Do a low level format. You can also run a check for bad sectors on the card.
Why a low level format?

Never mind. I just did a quick search and learned something. I always thought "low level" meant it was less of a format than normal formatting and I now see that "low level" is actually a more thorough formatting that erases everything on the card. Learn something new all the time. Seems strange though why "low" is more than standard.

Last edited:
Upvote 0