Canon to finally announce a fast RF 35mm lens by Q3 of 2022

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Good to see a new rumour of something whether lens or camera. I have a EF 50mm 1.2 and an 85mm 1.2. I'd love a 135mm F2 or a 200mm F2. I love a good bokeh. I have a Sigma 14mm 1.8 for Astro. I never craved a 35mm 1.2. I don't see the point. of it. I cover the 35mm area with the EF 24-70 2.8 II which is an excellent. lens. What am I missing?

Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2021
Neither Sony nor Nikon or Panasonic have native 1,2/35mm lenses, Sigma has a great 1,2, that's true.
By competitors I meant camera companies.
And yet if Canon release a 35mm f1.2 L it will get compared to the Sigma Art (and the GM) I can almost guarantee that, especially as the Sigma is highly likely to be much much cheaper. For those who shoot more than one system or are comparing them ,lenses on all major platforms do compete against one another regardless of OEM or 3rd party manufacturer.

There’s a strong rumour that Sigma are due to release a 50mm f1.2 Art DG DN, it will also be compared against the options from Canon, Sony and Nikon.

PS Sigma also make cameras…

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sony have a 35mm f1.4 and Sigma have 35mm Arts that come in f1.4 and f1.2 versions on E and L mounts. Its Nikon that don’t currently have an option other than their 35mm f1.8.

The thing is with Sigma, you never know if they can focus accurately or consistently. In my experience, their optics are generally very good. But their AF and OS systems are quite poor. Plus there's the poor durability of their finishes and low resale value.

Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2021
The thing is with Sigma, you never know if they can focus accurately or consistently. In my experience, their optics are generally very good. But their AF and OS systems are quite poor. Plus there's the poor durability of their finishes and low resale value.
Maybe in the DSLR days that was true but remember Sigma signed up to have the AF protocols for emount so no reverse engineering, AF performance ranges from being nearly as good or just as good on Sony bodies and their build quality is excellent these days. I own their 24-70mm f2.8 DG DN (because its better and much cheaper than Sony’s GM) and have no complaints at all.

Canon shooters are missing out big time on Sigma’s mirrorless glass.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Next to the 85mm EF L II, the EF 35mm 1.4 L II is the best prime lens Canon has ever made. I am excited for this new 35mm. I do hope the 24mm L is next, since the EF 24mm II is really starting to show its age. Ultimately, I'll be happy if by the end of next year we finally have a full set of RF superspeed primes (14, 24, 35, 50, 85).
The ef 135mm f2.0 L is spectacular and a wee bit sharper than the 85mm f1.2 II L. The ef 24mm f1.4 II L is equally as good as the ef 35mm f1.4 II. The problem Canon have with an RF version of the 35mm f1.4 L is the fact that the existing ef glass is so good, there's not much an RF variant can bring to the table (other than being heavier and larger than the ef mounted version) unless offering a larger f1.2 aperture. for the larger sized lens. Mirrorless lens generally have a design size efficiency under 28mm. Over this focal length and the lenses are usually longer in size than an equivalent SLR / EF mount lens. Some SLR 35mm focal length lenses are retro focus design, but not all.
I just hope Canon doesn't start making EF lenses out of old ef stock but with a built in ef - rf adapter (like the rf 400mm f2.8 / 800mm f5.6 / 1200mm f8).

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
For those who shoot more than one system or are comparing them ,lenses on all major platforms do compete against one another regardless of OEM or 3rd party manufacturer.
I suspect that’s a minuscule fraction of the ILC market.

Comparing is probably a bit more common, but actual switching likely is not.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

robotfist

Cinematographer/Photographer - Canon C300 III
Oct 23, 2017
Los Angeles
The ef 135mm f2.0 L is spectacular and a wee bit sharper than the 85mm f1.2 II L. The ef 24mm f1.4 II L is equally as good as the ef 35mm f1.4 II. The problem Canon have with an RF version of the 35mm f1.4 L is the fact that the existing ef glass is so good, there's not much an RF variant can bring to the table (other than being heavier and larger than the ef mounted version) unless offering a larger f1.2 aperture. for the larger sized lens. Mirrorless lens generally have a design size efficiency under 28mm. Over this focal length and the lenses are usually longer in size than an equivalent SLR / EF mount lens. Some SLR 35mm focal length lenses are retro focus design, but not all.
I just hope Canon doesn't start making EF lenses out of old ef stock but with a built in ef - rf adapter (like the rf 400mm f2.8 / 800mm f5.6 / 1200mm f8).
Don't get me wrong, the 24mm 1.4 II is really good, but it's no 35mm 1.4 II. The 24mm II is 14 years old and does show some chromatic aberrations while wide open. The coatings are older than the 35's. The 35mm 1.4 II and the 85mm 1.4 L II IS were the last EF primes Canon made, and they are the listed on DXOMark as the sharpest lenses Canon has ever manufactured (alongside the 300mm EF f2.8). And that's including all the latest RF lenses out there! Now, say what you will about charts and tests. I've always been one to just go with my gut instinct. And there is something magical going on with that 35mm 1.4 II. Images from that lens just sing! It will be difficult for the RF version to top it.

Upvote 0

Johnw

EOS R8
Oct 10, 2020

And how would you improve the optical formula over the EF for Canon on those lenses? The shorter flange distance of RF doesn’t really offer many advantages for lens design over EF at such long focal lengths.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I suspect that’s a minuscule fraction of the ILC market...
Exactly. All interchangeable lens cameras are a niche market today. Full frame bodies are a niche within a niche. People who buy fast lenses are a niche within a niche within a niche and people who shoot with more than one brand and buy these fast high-end lenses are a niche, within a niche, within a niche, within a niche. Are we talking about a few dozen people worldwide?

Upvote 0

JTP

Nov 1, 2019
I don't think the 35mm is going to be much less bulky if it is f1.2, at least if Sigma's version is any indication.
If it's 3 pounds and as fat as the 28-70 f2, I'll surely pass and go and rebuy the EF35 1.4 II I sold to wait for this one. I cannot stand shooting weddings with the 28-70. It's brutal.

Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
If it's 3 pounds and as fat as the 28-70 f2, I'll surely pass and go and rebuy the EF35 1.4 II I sold to wait for this one. I cannot stand shooting weddings with the 28-70. It's brutal.
Inferring from the Sigma, 35mm 1.2 is 70% more massive than 1.4 and increase in diameter by 15% so if we apply that logic to canon's 35mm 1.4 ii, one can expect a Canon 1.2 to be around 2.84lb and 3.65 inch in diameter.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
And yet if Canon release a 35mm f1.2 L it will get compared to the Sigma Art (and the GM) I can almost guarantee that, especially as the Sigma is highly likely to be much much cheaper. For those who shoot more than one system or are comparing them ,lenses on all major platforms do compete against one another regardless of OEM or 3rd party manufacturer.

There’s a strong rumour that Sigma are due to release a 50mm f1.2 Art DG DN, it will also be compared against the options from Canon, Sony and Nikon.

PS Sigma also make cameras…
I once owned a Sigma, never again!
Optical quality was top, focus accuracy was meh. A problem I never had with Canon L lenses, after MFA.
And you cannot say their cameras play in the same league as Canon, Sony and co. Many customers still prefer native lenses, whether they are right or wrong, that's a different question...
As to the coming Sigma 1,2/50, I'm convinced it can optically compete with the best Canisony can offer.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I would like f/1.4 so that it is neither too big nor too heavy.
I think f/1.2 will be well above 2.500 again and f/1.4 might be priced like the RF70-200 f/4.
The main thing is weather protection and nano USM in contrast to the current one...
I'd add a few Euro 100s to your prices, I think them far too optimistic, unfortunately...

Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2021
I once owned a Sigma, never again!
Optical quality was top, focus accuracy was meh. A problem I never had with Canon L lenses, after MFA.
And you cannot say their cameras play in the same league as Canon, Sony and co. Many customers still prefer native lenses, whether they are right or wrong, that's a different question...
As to the coming Sigma 1,2/50, I'm convinced it can optically compete with the best Canisony can offer.
The reason why Sigma’s DSLR AF wasn’t as good as OEM glass is most likely because they were forced to reverse engineer because Canon and Nikon never shared their protocols which is a major reason why many prefer OEM glass.

No such issues on emount as Sigma have a licensing agreement with Sony as do others so AF is simply not an issue at all.

I never said Sigma are a major camera manufacturer but they do make cameras

Upvote 0

Blue Zurich

Traditional Grip
Jan 22, 2022
Swingtown
Exactly. All interchangeable lens cameras are a niche market today. Full frame bodies are a niche within a niche. People who buy fast lenses are a niche within a niche within a niche and people who shoot with more than one brand and buy these fast high-end lenses are a niche, within a niche, within a niche, within a niche. Are we talking about a few dozen people worldwide?
A few CR searches and you might know them all by name!

• Haha
Upvote 0
Don't get me wrong, the 24mm 1.4 II is really good, but it's no 35mm 1.4 II. The 24mm II is 14 years old and does show some chromatic aberrations while wide open. The coatings are older than the 35's. The 35mm 1.4 II and the 85mm 1.4 L II IS were the last EF primes Canon made, and they are the listed on DXOMark as the sharpest lenses Canon has ever manufactured (alongside the 300mm EF f2.8). And that's including all the latest RF lenses out there! Now, say what you will about charts and tests. I've always been one to just go with my gut instinct. And there is something magical going on with that 35mm 1.4 II. Images from that lens just sing! It will be difficult for the RF version to top it.
Yes I agree they are both spectacular lenses. The Blue goo, fresh optical formula and superior coatings. However the AF is fairly standard speed and accuracy for EF L prime glass. The ef 85mm F1.4 LIS is a mk I btw, the mkII is the 85mm f1.2 II L. Lens charts are theoretical ray traces...so pinch of salt...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Lens charts are theoretical ray traces...so pinch of salt...
Except for Zeiss, their MTF charts are empirically measured with an actual production lens. For other manufacturers, if LensRentals has tested them on their optical bench (OLAF), that is useful especially since they test more than one copy.

Upvote 0