The Canon EOS “R7” has been pushed to Q4 of 2022

Jul 21, 2010
I see this going one of two ways:

1) Canon releases an ultimate pro-level APS-C body with everything we've been dreaming of, the latest 2022 technology, and maybe one or two new, unique features that nobody saw coming. This will be a one-off release that will have to keep all of us Canon APS-C fanbois and fangurrls happy for the next ten years.
Given their lack of interest in keeping those folks happy with a 7DIII, I'm skeptical that we'll see what some on this forum seem to want, an APS-C version of the R3 in an R5 body. Ever.

2) Nothing happens. We all know the rumor mill has been pretty slow lately, and all of the rumor/clickbait sites know that "R7" generates a lot of traffic. Is there any reason to believe the high-end APS-C market is more appealing to Canon now than it was two or three years ago? Even Sony has discontinued older a6x00 APS-C models and suspended production of current ones in favor of their full frame offerings.
This one gets my vote.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I would hope so too, but at the same time, there's just about nothing wrong with the 90D/M6II sensor.[..]
Except that is has a really slow readout speed compared to all R cameras, excepting the RP. E-shutter would have severe rolling shutter, the 18fps 10-bit burst mode on the M6II needs to crop in to be barely usable.
I would love to see what AF magic the a digic X would add and the body size would be a lot more ergonomic for heavy lenses, but I really like the e-shutter in my R5 and wouldn't want something that would perform worse.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Does it really? Canon has dropped bit depth on higher FPS for a long time now, which is hard to spot for most people who aren't called @bclaff :)
I do not understand what you mean. In DSLRs I haven't seen any reference in bit depth dropping anywhere. In R cameras it exists only in R5 and R6. I do not know anything about M cameras so I cannot comment on them.

Upvote 0
Don't get me wrong, I agree with everything you're saying. My point is that Canon could have easily released such a camera two years ago, but they didn't. What's different now?

It couldn't have been to protect initial R6 sales, since the R6 and (hypothetical) R7 address different markets. It couldn't have been to protect initial R5 sales, since the R5 is in a much different price class (at least, I *hope* the R5 is in a much different price class!) than the rumored R7. Could it have been to protect the remaining trickle of new 7D Mark II sales? Maybe, but even two years ago, that was a 5+ year old body, and Fuji and Sony had surpassed its capabilities even then.

I see this going one of two ways:

1) Canon releases an ultimate pro-level APS-C body with everything we've been dreaming of, the latest 2022 technology, and maybe one or two new, unique features that nobody saw coming. This will be a one-off release that will have to keep all of us Canon APS-C fanbois and fangurrls happy for the next ten years.

2) Nothing happens. We all know the rumor mill has been pretty slow lately, and all of the rumor/clickbait sites know that "R7" generates a lot of traffic. Is there any reason to believe the high-end APS-C market is more appealing to Canon now than it was two or three years ago? Even Sony has discontinued older a6x00 APS-C models and suspended production of current ones in favor of their full frame offerings.
I don't disagree with any of that. At the end of the day it's all speculation, and like I said before, what they ultimately end up doing will be determined by how many they think they can sell. Yes, other manufacturers have released products that have sailed past the 7DII on paper, and there are those that have no problem with switching brands at will, but there are also a large number of photographers who view their cameras as tools, and don't just switch whole platforms over specsmanship. Only Canon knows their plans.

In terms of what's different between now and two years ago? RF lenses. If you're a 7DII shooter and want to get onto an APS-C RF body, do you want to use an EF to RF adapter or use RF lenses?

Upvote 0
Except that is has a really slow readout speed compared to all R cameras, excepting the RP. E-shutter would have severe rolling shutter, the 18fps 10-bit burst mode on the M6II needs to crop in to be barely usable.
I would love to see what AF magic the a digic X would add and the body size would be a lot more ergonomic for heavy lenses, but I really like the e-shutter in my R5 and wouldn't want something that would perform worse.
What's the readout compared to the 7DII sensor? Comparing the 90D sensor readout speed to other RF bodies and then trying to equate that to a 7DII doesn't make any sense. Look at it from the perspective of a current 7DII shooter.

Upvote 0
While I would consider adding an R7 as a dedicated wildlife/birding body if the MP are high enough and speeds are significantly better than the R5 (which I already own), I am more interested in what lenses will be announced at the same time as the R7 to incent sales.

I could envision a 200-500mm L with built in 1.4x extender or a 200-600mm lens to compete with Sony or even better the revival of the 400mm f5.6 magic drainpipe! All sorts of expensive or not so expensive options that might be paired with the R7 announcement.

Upvote 0

Blue Zurich

Traditional Grip
Jan 22, 2022
Swingtown
Meh. The 7D II DSLR was priced at $1799 (body only). Canon has contempt for first-time camera buyers who want something new-affordable.
We have no idea on the specs, so pricing theories are just that. This could be crop RF and nothing resembling the 7D series or what 7D shooters have been hoping for. Then you might just get your entry level crop RF after all. For far less than 1799 imo. what with RP pricing as a yardstick.

If it does have all the bells and whistles that most here having been pining for for years now i.e. fps, sealing, FF size body (R5/6) and a proper modern sensor , BSI perhaps, this is not the first time buyer body you might be thinking of. Then I wouldn't think it would be a penny under 2999. And it should be for those specs.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
…Then I wouldn't think it would be a penny under 2999. And it should be for those specs.
I think that might be a touch high. I’m guessing either slightly above or slightly below the R6.

Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
If it does have all the bells and whistles that most here having been pining for for years now i.e. fps, sealing, FF size body (R5/6) and a proper modern sensor , BSI perhaps, this is not the first time buyer body you might be thinking of. Then I wouldn't think it would be a penny under 2999. And it should be for those specs.
2999?? Is that USD? Man! I've been saying that I can't see how Canon can justify going much beyond $2K for a high-end APS-C body. $2999 is in a different league altogether.

Upvote 0

Blue Zurich

Traditional Grip
Jan 22, 2022
Swingtown
2999?? Is that USD? Man! I've been saying that I can't see how Canon can justify going much beyond $2K for a high-end APS-C body. $2999 is in a different league altogether.
I based that number upon Canon listening to all the CR members and they're extensive list of demands. Believe me, I'm with you. But now that I see the way you worded your response, it's as if you're devaluing crop in general in my view. Why couldn't/wouldn't it be amazing and of course expensive? You won't get amazing for cheap no matter how often we say it should be.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Since we know nothing, is that directed at the 7D3 spec'd wishlist R7? Or just any new RF crop body in general.
7D III specs. That assumes that an R7 would be spec'd similar to the R6 but with a crop sensor. I think U.S. $3,000 is too heavy of a lift. Canon has to be realistic about what the market will bear. But, I'm not one of those who see it coming in anywhere near the old 7DII price. When I've asked the most vocal of the R7 advocates on this forum if they would spring for an R7 spec'd and similarly priced to the R6, they've said yes.

It may have two SD slots. I would also expect that the mechanical shutter will be eliminated. R3 was the test bed for an electronic shutter and with the new Nikon flagship dumping the mechanical shutter, I expect that to become the standard. Electronic shutter gets them to a higher frame rate at less cost.

I based that number upon Canon listening to all the CR members and they're extensive list of demands...you won't get amazing for cheap no matter how often we say it should be.
7DII. Cheap and Amazing.

Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
I based that number upon Canon listening to all the CR members and they're extensive list of demands. Believe me, I'm with you. But now that I see the way you worded your response, it's as if you're devaluing crop in general in my view. Why couldn't/wouldn't it be amazing and of course expensive? You won't get amazing for cheap no matter how often we say it should be.
I don't know what I said or how I worded it that makes you think I'm devaluing crop. Look no further than the list of bodies under my user name. Three of those are crop bodies. The fourth is indeed a "full frame" body, but one that pre-dates APS-anything and uses wet chemical sensor technology. ;) It was also the least expensive of all of them.

For the photography I like to do, I feel an APS-C body is the best tool for the job. I like going to air shows. Maybe the "birds" aren't as small as the ones other people around here like to shoot, but they're small enough and I'm using a moderate telephoto (100-400). Could I do it with a FF rig and get good results? Most definitely. It's not the equipment that limits the quality of my results, I'll be the first to admit. But I prefer crop.

So yes, I like APS-C, and I would love it if Canon came out with a new high-end APS-C R body. I would give it a serious look and very likely own one before long. But I've been down these "7D Mark III" and "R7" rumor paths for nearly five years now, and I honestly don't think it's going to happen. Maybe you're responding to that when you say I devalue crop. I'm not saying I don't want it to happen, I'd love it if it did. I understand pixel density, why people would choose crop even if it was the same price as FF, and the fallacy of "equivalence".

I don't know if you read the linked post in my previous post, but that's a brief post where I lay it out why I think an R7 with R6-type specs doesn't inherently have to cost well north of $2K. That's not devaluing anything, it's illustrating that if Sony and Fuji can do it, there's no reason why Canon shouldn't be able to also.

Canon might choose a higher price point for branding and cachet, but that's a different issue.

Upvote 0
The imminent death of the M system continues to be greatly exaggerated.
Make that the lingering death of the M system. I can't remember the last time Canon mentioned its existence. It's never mentioned in their financial documents. Canon even excluded it from their "Canon EOS System celebrates 35th anniversary" press release. I want Canon to continue to develop M, but things are looking pretty grim.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Make that the lingering death of the M system. I can't remember the last time Canon mentioned its existence. It's never mentioned in their financial documents. Canon even excluded it from their "Canon EOS System celebrates 35th anniversary" press release. I want Canon to continue to develop M, but things are looking pretty grim.

So the M system is a monumental cash cow for Canon, all revenue and no engineering costs. That's what Neuro seems intent of reminding us of. For all we know, profits from the M-system provide all of the R&D funding for the R system. That doesn't mean that anybody on this website should care about the M system at all.

Upvote 0