Will Canon make a 4k only r5c type of camera?

The R5C is an amazing camera, technologically speaking.
But if we look at the FX3, for the gorilla filmmakers, it is much smaller and outputs the same awesome 4k...

Again the R5C is amazing but that massive fan in the back kills me! All because of 8K and that massive sensor...Which I would never use.
I don't want to go to Sony with the FX3 but I also don't want a chunky Canon that I am paying more for for the 8k I wont use..

If anyone happens to have information on future developments please let me know!
How awesome would it be if Canon made another R5 with just 4k and wasn't as expensive and didn't have a chunky fan and didn't over heat?
The FX3 has a fan but it is significantly thinner.

The FX3 really is a better camera if you're only shooting 4k, but I can't go to Sony. Also what's with the screen sizes..

My canon 6D has a larger screen than both of them and when filming in 1080p I get to see more of my image vs filming in 4k on either screens, With the FX3 and R5C they have to fit the ratio on the screen but it gets so small.. You'd think there would be a work around..

Why am I paying close to $5k with the R5C to update my system for a smaller screen, larger files, larger body and 8k I wont use.... all just for 4k?
FX3's screen isn't great either but that doesn't mean I or any other consumer should settle.. However it seems like most people have and continue to let these companies get away with this...

Some people may opt for a monitor but the simplicity of having it all in one body is great. +1 for flippy screens (Canon & Sony)

Maybe I should get some nice Cine lenses for my 6D for $5k instead.. It would look just as good in 1080p.

Think about it.. If everyone buys their 4k cameras with that 8K sensor, Canon will continue to make "almost perfect" cameras, continually lumping the market into the 8k category and other things WE/THEY don't really need..Canon never perfected a 4K camera without crop right?

Sony did it's users right with the FX3. Much bang for the BUCK. It's a GREAT 4k camera.
Where is Canon's? Sure the R5C also has GREAT 4k even slightly better than the FX3 due to oversampling but look at the cost in terms of price,battery power, size...
You can do it Canon! I believe in you!

Last edited:

Johnw

EOS R8
Oct 10, 2020
Can the r6 do 4k 120p?

Nope, it tops out at 60, likely because 4k120 is the same amount of data as 8k30 so if it did that would bring it up to the R5 in a sense from a data capture / pipeline perspective. Since Canon didn't include CFExpress on the R6 it wouldn't have done as well with that. But there's nothing stopping Canon from releasing another Cinema camera with better data processing capability and a similar lower resolution sensor that's better suited to delivering 4k, if there's demand for it of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Johnw

EOS R8
Oct 10, 2020
It's just a shame that it's so chunky when it doesn't need to be.
The weight isn’t appreciably different from the FX3. It’s 1.6 to 1.7 lb. So really what you are saying is just that you find the form factor of the R5C too big. But if truthfully what you want is an ultra small form factor, then you probably should buy a Sony. That is kind of their thing. People who use Canon generally like the larger and heftier format of the cameras that is pretty standard of Canon.

Upvote 0
Yeah it is their thing but Canon Colors.. Can't live without them haha.
I don't know things just feel fishy.. if we look back at last generation or two generations ago..

5d Mark 2/3 could do top of the line 1080p at the time and it wasn't as massive with a fan.
I'm going to wait a tad longer and if nothing comes up maybe the R5C will be the one.

Upvote 0
I've gotten over the chunkyness however, after listening to a lot of people, the R5C in video mode EATS batteries..
The software engineering just seems lazy..

They should also allow filming in picture mode so you can at least save battery.. like once you've dialed in everything you want you can just film the rest of the day in picture mode.. They should definitely allow that. It's bullshit. Lets do something people come on! I am going to write a letter to Mr. Canon himself asking to make this camera better.

Upvote 0

bergstrom

Photographer
Feb 23, 2015
I've gotten over the chunkyness however, after listening to a lot of people, the R5C in video mode EATS batteries..
The software engineering just seems lazy..

They should also allow filming in picture mode so you can at least save battery.. like once you've dialed in everything you want you can just film the rest of the day in picture mode.. They should definitely allow that. It's bullshit. Lets do something people come on! I am going to write a letter to Mr. Canon himself asking to make this camera better.

Well Canon does have a dedicated response to all suggestions, even when we're tryng to HELP them.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0