Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R7, Canon EOS R10 and two new RF-S lenses

When I move from my 7D2 to the R7 (not yet, my 7D2 still has life in it) I will miss the top LCD screen and the built-in flash. I will gain more megapixels, even better AF, better low light/ISO performance, more fps, top-notch IBIS, vari-angle screen, much lower weight, focus bracketing, people, animal and vehicle detection, eye detection, panorama mode and automatic levelling.

Sounds like I will be satisfied with that deal.

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
When I move from my 7D2 to the R7 (not yet, my 7D2 still has life in it) I will miss the top LCD screen and the built-in flash. I will gain more megapixels, even better AF, better low light/ISO performance, more fps, top-notch IBIS, vari-angle screen, much lower weight, focus bracketing, people, animal and vehicle detection, eye detection, panorama mode and automatic levelling.

Sounds like I will be satisfied with that deal.
Funny enough when I went to the R6 I thought I would miss the top LCD from my 5dMKiv and 7D II but I didn't, I don't really understand why though maybe I thought I cared more about in than I actually did or just adapted to look for the info in the EVF.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Funny enough when I went to the R6 I thought I would miss the top LCD from my 5dMKiv and 7D II but I didn't, I don't really understand why though maybe I thought I cared more about in than I actually did or just adapted to look for the info in the EVF.
Yes, I see that. And I forgot to mention the silent shutter. My conclusion still stands, though I will miss the flash.

Upvote 0
No vertical Grip NO Sale!!! A vertical battery grip is essential for wildlife photography. Shooting vertical with a long lens and no vertical grip is just asking for shoulder trouble. Plus the vertical grip is much more stable. Very foolish decision on Canon's part if not rectified. Looks like a very nice camera otherwise. Too bad for the fatal flaw.
I shot wildlife for nearly ten years and never used a grip once.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
What an exciting camera the new R7 is, I love the features particularly IBIS, Dual Card Slots, and Canon’s very latest AF system. People are comparing it with the 90D, no comparison in my opinion, the R7 is leap years ahead of a 90D.

The R10 is also exciting even with it’s slightly more modest features, a nice compact and light-weight body, with a sweeter price tag.

Let’s hope for a few more rejigged EF-M lenses, oops! I meant to say RF-S lenses :):ROFLMAO::) The 11-22mm f4-5.6 IS would be a popular lens to come next.

My only slight disappointment is in the RF-S 18-45 kit lens, 18mm that being 28.8mm on a crop camera, is that wide enough as a kit lens?

Way did Canon not stick with a 15-45mm kit lens that being a better range of 24-72mm on the two new crop sensor bodies.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I shot wildlife for nearly ten years and never used a grip once.
Same here with Canon for over 10 years. I did use a grip on a Nikon D850 for a while to get up to 9 fps but I didn't like the extra weight and bulk. I can understand that a grip can be very useful for some people, but all of my shots of BIF and dragonflies in flight are in landscape mode for both direction of panning and the shape of my subjects and very few of my static shots require portrait mode as I invariably have to crop anyway. For extra battery life, it weighs less to have a spare or two in my pocket, and certainly much cheaper.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
As a 7DII user for bird photography, I've been waiting for an APS-C camera with all the advantages of the mirrorless system. However, losing the vertical grip was a price I was definitely not expecting I would have pay for all the other advantages. It makes a lot of difference for me, even if not shooting vertical.

Upvote 0
The R7 is not available yet, and so much whinging and whining already....tiring.

Sounds like some 7Dii users only care about using a big bulky camera so they look professional....but it seems to me that a far superior AF system, a quicker frame rate, IBIS (vs no IBIS) and better low light performance is a pretty good recipe for better action photos.
I am yet to find a reviewer (the only people who have actually used the thing) to have anything negative to say about it.
I have pre-ordered mine and I think I will be happy with my R6/R7 pair instead of a 6Dii/7Dii, but each to their own.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
The R7 is not available yet, and so much whinging and whining already....tiring.

Sounds like some 7Dii users only care about using a big bulky camera so they look professional....but it seems to me that a far superior AF system, a quicker frame rate, IBIS (vs no IBIS) and better low light performance is a pretty good recipe for better action photos.
I am yet to find a reviewer (the only people who have actually used the thing) to have anything negative to say about it.
I have pre-ordered mine and I think I will be happy with my R6/R7 pair instead of a 6Dii/7Dii, but each to their own.
Please forgive me for trying to give a constructive feedback to Canon, but maybe the people who complain about the absence of the grip have big hands and after a while holding the camera and lens it starts to get very uncomfortable. But again, it's only a price I was not expecting to pay.

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
No vertical Grip NO Sale!!! A vertical battery grip is essential for wildlife photography. Shooting vertical with a long lens and no vertical grip is just asking for shoulder trouble. Plus the vertical grip is much more stable. Very foolish decision on Canon's part if not rectified. Looks like a very nice camera otherwise. Too bad for the fatal flaw.
It is in no way what so ever essential.

Upvote 0
Please forgive me for trying to give a constructive feedback to Canon, but maybe the people who complain about the absence of the grip have big hands and after a while holding the camera and lens it starts to get very uncomfortable. But again, it's only a price I was not expecting to pay.
As far as I know Canon hasn't said there won't be a grip (nor said there will be one I agree), only random people who have no idea what the plan is have made such statement. Holes, no holes etc is irrelevant, Canon might have come up with a new grip design that doesn't use previous system, just like they put a dial where they had never put one before....
When Canon confirm that there will be no grip, then the whinging and feedbacking can start.

Same with people complaining about the 'unusable' new dial...they haven't even had the camera in their hand yet! Try it, then feedback based on real experience.

Same with no built in flash etc etc and the list goes on.
Built in flashes are rubbish, anyone serious about using flash will have external flashes.

It is ok to be disappointed about a camera when you have actually used it and when information are confirmed....until then, it is just background noise.

Upvote 0
As far as I know Canon hasn't said there won't be a grip (nor said there will be one I agree), only random people who have no idea what the plan is have made such statement. Holes, no holes etc is irrelevant, Canon might have come up with a new grip design that doesn't use previous system, just like they put a dial where they had never put one before....
When Canon confirm that there will be no grip, then the whinging and feedbacking can start.

Same with people complaining about the 'unusable' new dial...they haven't even had the camera in their hand yet! Try it, then feedback based on real experience.

Same with no built in flash etc etc and the list goes on.
Built in flashes are rubbish, anyone serious about using flash will have external flashes.

It is ok to be disappointed about a camera when you have actually used it and when information are confirmed....until then, it is just background noise.
I see your point and I agree with you in most parts. But I disagree in the case of the vertical grip and really think that the manufacturer needs to receive the feedback as soon as possible so they can plan their actions. People who complain about the "possible" absence of the grip are people who actually have used grips and find it better to use.

I agree with you about people complaining about the new dial position when they have never used a dial in that position and don't know if it is better. To me, it actually makes a lot of sense.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The R7, while a capable camera, is no R3. The buffer issues that exist on the R7 are nonexistent in the R3. In just about every way, the R3 is far superior; As it definitely should, be to justify its much more expensive price.
Far superior in terms of pixel density for those who need high resolution? That is not a minor factor for the target audience.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
For you.

Like @fabioduarte, my hand gets sore using a non-gripped body with my typical lenses (L-series zooms). The integrated grip on the 1-series and R3 is more comfortable that an add-on.
Presumably the integrated grip is lighter and stronger than an add-on as well?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan

Yes, I see that. And I forgot to mention the silent shutter. My conclusion still stands, though I will miss the flash.
I remember when I got my first full-frame DSLR, I was really disappointed that there was no pop-up flash. Now that I've been using bodies without it for 10 years, I don't miss it. As a matter of fact, it kinda turned me off to the R10 (for cosmetic reasons). And I think I've actually come to hate popup flash shots.

As for the top LCD, it's one of the least useful perks of the high-end ILCs for me. I'm always looking at the back of the camera, and very very rarely the top. The one on the R5 looks nice, but I definitely wouldn't miss it if it were gone. I would also have preferred the physical mode dial of the R6 as opposed to the semi-digital one of the R5. I'm glad that the R7 will have the physical type.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0