Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R7, Canon EOS R10 and two new RF-S lenses

Jul 21, 2010
Presumably the integrated grip is lighter and stronger than an add-on as well?
Yes, and the integrated grip does not add a point of flex when mounting on a tripod. Also the shape is different – the add-on grips generally protrude both in back and in front whereas the integrated grip just protrudes in front for a finger hold, like the main grip on the camera. I found the rear protrusion on the add-on grips less comfortable, but it needs to be there so the grip is wide enough to take the LP-E6-type batteries in transverse orientation.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I would also have preferred the physical mode dial of the R6 as opposed to the semi-digital one of the R5. I'm glad that the R7 will have the physical type.
I far prefer the electronically-controlled mode switching. I use C# modes for different shooting situations, e.g. C2 for perched birds and C3 for flying birds, where the minimum desired shutter speed, FPS, AF mode, etc., are different. On my R3, as on the 1D X, I have the mode switching assigned to the M.Fn button, so if I'm shooting a perched bird that takes flight, one press of the button adjacent to the shutter release changes me from C2 to C3 with no need to even move my hand, much less take my eye off the VF. That is not possible with the physical dial.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I feel like Canon is going to sell about three R7's. Should have been a 7D2 successor for about $2200. Any beginner is going to look at the R10 and think why would I spend $500 more for the R7? I don't get where the R7 fits in.

A slightly more robust camera with weather sealing.
Higher mega pixel sensor
Faster flash sync speed
IBIS
1/8000 vs 1/4000 shutter speed.
Faster electronic shutter 30 FPS vs 23FPS
Seems the R7 just takes things up to more of a prosumer level.

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Genuinely curious, what do you mean about buying it for pixel density? I truly can't imagine that as part of a buying decision.
This is the 'reach' advantage everyone talks about in terms of APSc. I do field sports photography for fun. When the action is on the far side, the subjects get small in the frame. On an APSc frame in this camera, they would have more pixels on them than they do with my R6. Which means the resulting images could be displayed larger when cropped and displayed at the same ppi. This is how the 'more pixels per duck' "advantage" of APSc works. There are tradeoffs with APSc as well, but this is what is discussed as an advantage for some photographic subjects.

Or I could buy a longer lens to achieve a similar effect with my current R6. However, a 600mm f4 lens is 12k, and this body is only 1.5k.....:)

-Brian

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Built in GPS is a big battery sucker
I doubt it's a factor compared to EVF.

and it is redundant to have it in camera as you can use your phone and the Canon app to geo tag your shots.
For me, the Canon app on Android is extremely unreliable in keeping the R5 GPS data updated. Should I switch to iPhone?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Genuinely curious, what do you mean about buying it for pixel density? I truly can't imagine that as part of a buying decision.
Pixel density is the main factor in resolution - not the number of MPs. Thus a 24 MP APS-C camera has a greater resolution than a 24 MP FF camera. So an important factor for bird, wildlife, sports, airshow photographers and anyone shooting where getting closer to your subject is not an option.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Same here with Canon for over 10 years. I did use a grip on a Nikon D850 for a while to get up to 9 fps but I didn't like the extra weight and bulk. I can understand that a grip can be very useful for some people, but all of my shots of BIF and dragonflies in flight are in landscape mode for both direction of panning and the shape of my subjects and very few of my static shots require portrait mode as I invariably have to crop anyway. For extra battery life, it weighs less to have a spare or two in my pocket, and certainly much cheaper.
Agreed. I shoot almost all subjects in landscape orientation, I always carry a couple of spare batteries, and I don't want the bulk and weight of an integrated grip.

But, I do wish the grips were a little taller, as with the R5 I find my little finger nestling uncomfortably under the grip instead of wrapping around it.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
This is the 'reach' advantage everyone talks about in terms of APSc. I do field sports photography for fun. When the action is on the far side, the subjects get small in the frame. On an APSc frame in this camera, they would have more pixels on them than they do with my R6. Which means the resulting images could be displayed larger when cropped and displayed at the same ppi. This is how the 'more pixels per duck' "advantage" of APSc works. There are tradeoffs with APSc as well, but this is what is discussed as an advantage for some photographic subjects.

Or I could buy a longer lens to achieve a similar effect with my current R6. However, a 600mm f4 lens is 12k, and this body is only 1.5k.....:)

-Brian
An 800mm f/11 goes very nicely with an R6 - maybe not the best for sports but fine for distant wild life.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I far prefer the electronically-controlled mode switching. I use C# modes for different shooting situations, e.g. C2 for perched birds and C3 for flying birds, where the minimum desired shutter speed, FPS, AF mode, etc., are different. On my R3, as on the 1D X, I have the mode switching assigned to the M.Fn button, so if I'm shooting a perched bird that takes flight, one press of the button adjacent to the shutter release changes me from C2 to C3 with no need to even move my hand, much less take my eye off the VF. That is not possible with the physical dial.
I use C1 for perched birds, C2 for BIF, and C3 for perched birds in the gloom. Seems a bit of a waste using C1 for something else ;). It is very quick to switch through the modes using the M-fn button, which I do like.

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan

I didn't even know that was possible. I always found myself fiddling around with pressing the mode button while also awkwardly trying to turn the dial to a custom mode. And also, constantly forgetting which button combination to press to switch over to the video mode dial. Feels like a bad video game sometimes. Your way sounds much easier. I'll definitely look into the M.Fn button. I don't remember what function I have it set to because I hardly ever use it. Thanks for the suggestion.

I use C1 for perched birds, C2 for BIF, and C3 for perched birds in the gloom. Seems a bit of a waste using C1 for something else ;). It is very quick to switch through the modes using the M-fn button, which I do like.

I used the custom modes more on my 5D IV to switch between my portrait settings, landscape settings, and bracketed landscape settings if I remember correctly. Since most of the time I've had the R5 has been under the pandemic, I haven't really had much need for the custom modes. But it's still a very useful tip. Thanks.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I didn't even know that was possible. I always found myself fiddling around with pressing the mode button while also awkwardly trying to turn the dial to a custom mode. And also, constantly forgetting which button combination to press to switch over to the video mode dial. Feels like a bad video game sometimes. Your way sounds much easier. I'll definitely look into the M.Fn button. I don't remember what function I have it set to because I hardly ever use it. Thanks for the suggestion.

I used the custom modes more on my 5D IV to switch between my portrait settings, landscape settings, and bracketed landscape settings if I remember correctly. Since most of the time I've had the R5 has been under the pandemic, I haven't really had much need for the custom modes. But it's still a very useful tip. Thanks.
Unless I haven't optimised the choice of settings, and @neuroanatomist can correct me, the M-fn will cycle through 4 settings; C1, C2, C3 and the last mode setting you used.

Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
I doubt it's a factor compared to EVF.

For me, the Canon app on Android is extremely unreliable in keeping the R5 GPS data updated. Should I switch to iPhone?
To be fair, I’ve used the iOS app a time or two for controlling the camera and it was fine for that purpose.

For GPS, I find it utterly useless.

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
For you.

Like @fabioduarte, my hand gets sore using a non-gripped body with my typical lenses (L-series zooms). The integrated grip on the 1-series and R3 is more comfortable that an add-on.
More comfortable but not essential
For you.

Like @fabioduarte, my hand gets sore using a non-gripped body with my typical lenses (L-series zooms). The integrated grip on the 1-series and R3 is more comfortable that an add-on.
Still wouldn’t say essential. More comfortable yes..

Upvote 0
I'm surprised that the launch didn't include a 55-200 RF-S lens. It's common to sell APS-C cameras in a bundle that includes both a kit lens and a 55-200. That size is available in both EF-S and EF-M, so it's not like it would have taken Canon a lot of R&D.
They wanna sell RF 100-400.

Upvote 0
As far as I know Canon hasn't said there won't be a grip (nor said there will be one I agree), only random people who have no idea what the plan is have made such statement. Holes, no holes etc is irrelevant, Canon might have come up with a new grip design that doesn't use previous system, just like they put a dial where they had never put one before....
When Canon confirm that there will be no grip, then the whinging and feedbacking can start.
You are very positive person

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Actually you can with the physical dial on the RP configuration. It looks like with these relatively early RF mount cameras Canon are testing out various control layouts, witness the R, RP and R7 for example. I have to say that I really like the layout of the RP. I agree with those that say on a mirrorless camera they don't miss the top LCD, and I much prefer the top mounted horizontal rear control wheel (like Nikon and in this case, the RP) to the vertically mounted wheel on the back of the camera. For me it is easier to use but that may be because I was a Nikon shooter until 2005. The mode wheel on the RP lies right under my thumb, the heavy click stopping is enough to
stop it from being accidentally changed, and whilst I agree that it may not be as instantaneous as a button, it is still very quick, I would guess enough for your example of the bird leaving a branch. Not that I'm suggesting the RP is a good birding camera, its frame rate is far too pedestrian for that, just that the control layout is very good. I can only assume that on the R6 Canon didn't use the RP style and placing of the mode dial due to the R6 having a joystick, which may have conflicted with its use. Likewise the R10.
IMG_4797.jpg

Upvote 0