Canon R7 pre-shooting - equal to pro-capture?

I have an R7 on pre order. Maybe I'll get it before 2023 if I'm lucky. But I was wondering; looking at the rolling shutter issues always more prevalent with non stacked sensors, do you think the pre-shooting function would actually be usable for a use-case such as small birds? From what I understand, the R7 will be using electronic shutter to store the 15 frames or 0.5 seconds to the buffer continuously. I've not been able to find out much about it on the preview vids I've seen so far - somewhere mentioned you needed canon software to get the images off the camera and couldn't be viewed out of camera? Will it be on par with the fantastic olympus pro-capture which has been around for years now?

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I have an R7 on pre order. Maybe I'll get it before 2023 if I'm lucky. But I was wondering; looking at the rolling shutter issues always more prevalent with non stacked sensors, do you think the pre-shooting function would actually be usable for a use-case such as small birds? From what I understand, the R7 will be using electronic shutter to store the 15 frames or 0.5 seconds to the buffer continuously. I've not been able to find out much about it on the preview vids I've seen so far - somewhere mentioned you needed canon software to get the images off the camera and couldn't be viewed out of camera? Will it be on par with the fantastic olympus pro-capture which has been around for years now?
I have never had objectionable rolling shutter problems with the R5.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Do you think its possible for Canon to add pre-shooting to the R5 or does it need hardware not in the camera
I wonder this myself. The pre-shooting thing is only the ability for the camera to shoot continuously to the buffer which as it's 0.5s will use half of the available buffer of the R7 if shooting uncompressed RAW. I'm obviously not a Canon expert but I don't see any reason why it would be hardware limited as they share the same digic-x processor.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The R7 manual shows that the pre-capture works the same as on the M6II. So you won’t get a bunch of CR3s, but a single file that only DPP4 can read.
That's going to be a real shame. Reading up on it then, the M6II captures reduced res images in this mode?! This combined with potentially not being able to review in camera leaves me very disappointed.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
That's going to be a real shame. Reading up on it then, the M6II captures reduced res images in this mode?! This combined with potentially not being able to review in camera leaves me very disappointed.
I think the reduced resolution, crop and lesser bit depth on the M6II are due to limitations in the digic 8. It might even be to adjust for the relatively slow SD interface, it isn’t up to full UHS-II speeds in card benchmarks.
I’m certainly going to try it, but if it’s the same as on the M6II, including the extraction hassle it will be rarely used by me.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
The R7 manual shows that the pre-capture works the same as on the M6II. So you won’t get a bunch of CR3s, but a single file that only DPP4 can read.
That is a bit of a let down. I thought it would be really cool if it pre-recorded CR3 files. Maybe maybe the R1 will have the ability to pre-record CR3 files...?

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
I think the reduced resolution, crop and lesser bit depth on the M6II are due to limitations in the digic 8. It might even be to adjust for the relatively slow SD interface, it isn’t up to full UHS-II speeds in card benchmarks.
I’m certainly going to try it, but if it’s the same as on the M6II, including the extraction hassle it will be rarely used by me.

That is a bit of a let down. I thought it would be really cool if it pre-recorded CR3 files. Maybe maybe the R1 will have the ability to pre-record CR3 files...?

The extracted files are CR3 files, but mine were only about 20MB+, so I wonder if they weren't C-RAW.
Btw, how can I see what bit depth the RAW file was captured at?

Upvote 0

bergstrom

Photographer
Feb 23, 2015

cancel and wait for RP2

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
cancel and wait for RP2
You are as cheerful as a Bergman movie! It's a great little camera and I am keeping mine to pair with the R5. To answer some of the points above, the rolling shutter is bad, but the Pre-shooting mode is good. The files are downloaded by DPP4 as a giant CR3 file but you can quickly select the individual frames as 32.5 Mpx individual CR3 files.

Upvote 0