The Canon EOS R1 may not come until the 2nd half of 2023 [CR2]

Jul 21, 2010
Hey Neuro, just curious, what kind of stuff do you shoot? You’re a well respected member of the CR community and you have some awesome gear, so yeah, what do you like to photograph!?
A mix of many subjects (which is probably why I have so many lenses!). Most of my shooting comprises birds, architecture/travel, nature and family.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

bergstrom

Photographer
Feb 23, 2015
I know that Canon is listening to user feedback on the R3 for the final development of the R1. It makes sense to me that acquiring the feedback will take several months especially with the supply chain issues. I would rather have Canon delay the R1 by a few months and get the camera right than rush it to market just because buyers are becoming impatient.

I hope they were listening on the feedback on the crap RP

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I hope they were listening on the feedback on the crap RP
LOL. Try to get a grip on reality. You can call the RP 'crap' until you're blue in the face. So can other forum-dwellers (though honestly, I don't see many complaints).

The feedback Canon's leadership is listening to is that last week the RP was the best-selling full frame camera in Japan and the 4th best-selling ILC overall in Japan (with Canon cameras also comprising the top 3).

Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 9.30.26 PM.png

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Canon's only deadline is the 2024 Olympics if the R1 follows the typical 1 Series timetable. If it comes in 2023, I would expect it will be late in 2023. Delivery may not come until 2024. R1 Development announcement late in 2023. Delivery first quarter of 2024. R5II in July-Sept of 2024.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
My switch to mirrorless hangs on the RP2. Fix everything that everyone complaned about. A mini R3 if you will.
When Canon started to "number" the R series, it seems that define the R7 right under the R6 leaves no room for "low end FF". Thus, I don't think there will be a "direct" R or RP replacements, the R10 and R100 does the "lower end" for R cameras while the R6 is the closest to the "R" replacement in a way. The RP, as "low end FF" has probably filled its place in the camera history.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
I see we've gone 25 replies with no one saying "good, this gives me more time to arrange to sell a kidney." I'm disappointed in you all!
My main concern is not the camera (have the R5 and very happy with it), it is the glass needed for it. Many of the old EF lenses just don't keep with the resolution.. And by the way, I am not going to sell any kidney soon, there are other organs much more appealing (joke)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

HMC11

Travel
CR Pro
Sep 5, 2020
........Many of the old EF lenses just don't keep with the resolution.. And by the way, I am not going to sell any kidney soon, there are other organs much more appealing (joke)
Not sure if that is accurate. If we look only at 'resolution', my understanding is that the overall/system (ie. lens plus sensors) MTF is the product of sensor MTF and Lens MTF. So, if the R1 has an even better MTF than the R5, then the EF lens would perform even better on the R1 compared with the R5. Of course, if the MTF of the lens is poor, then that would limit the system MTF regardless of how good the sensor is. As far as I gather in terms of 'resolution', the EF lenses, particularly the L lenes, are working just fine on the R5, i.e. as good as on the R mount bodies as on the DSLR camera bodies, if not better.

As for selling organs.....wait for the R1 mark ii :).

Upvote 0

Birdshooter

R3 and R5
Oct 14, 2019
Who wouldn't? While we're at it, I'll take an R3vII for $3k as well!

On another note - I've always lusted after the 1 series cameras. With the R6 performance being what it is, I can't imagine what more a one series could really give me that would make it worth 2-3x the cost. Though I may do one as a mid-life crisis gift to myself anyway :). The only two 'limits' I see on the R6 that I might find benefit from removing are 1) stacked sensor and 2) larger battery. A few more MP would be OK, but I could get that from an R5. In fact, if R5vII has a stacked sensor and remains below about 50mp that may be a 'last/forever' camera for me. A battery grip could solve the battery issue. I suspect QPAF could be in the next gen as well, and while DPAF has never really let me down I'm sure there will be an improvement with QPAF. I wouldn't upgrade for just that.

-Brian
How about better autofocus.. that's a biggy.

Upvote 0

Birdshooter

R3 and R5
Oct 14, 2019
When Canon started to "number" the R series, it seems that define the R7 right under the R6 leaves no room for "low end FF". Thus, I don't think there will be a "direct" R or RP replacements, the R10 and R100 does the "lower end" for R cameras while the R6 is the closest to the "R" replacement in a way. The RP, as "low end FF" has probably filled its place in the camera his

My main concern is not the camera (have the R5 and very happy with it), it is the glass needed for it. Many of the old EF lenses just don't keep with the resolution.. And by the way, I am not going to sell any kidney soon, there are other organs much more appealing (joke)
What EF glass does not hold up?
Every EF lens I have works better than with a DSLR so I wonder what lenses you talk about?

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Canon please bring it on ASAP.
Then you can concentrate on the more affordable tools ;)
(or bring an RP successor first ;):p )
The "RP successor" already exists. It's called the R10.

The RP continues to sell well, but I don't think a FF successor is on the cards.

The R10 is cheaper, better specified and has everything that a budget camera needs.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2021
Not sure if that is accurate. If we look only at 'resolution', my understanding is that the overall/system (ie. lens plus sensors) MTF is the product of sensor MTF and Lens MTF. So, if the R1 has an even better MTF than the R5, then the EF lens would perform even better on the R1 compared with the R5. Of course, if the MTF of the lens is poor, then that would limit the system MTF regardless of how good the sensor is. As far as I gather in terms of 'resolution', the EF lenses, particularly the L lenes, are working just fine on the R5, i.e. as good as on the R mount bodies as on the DSLR camera bodies, if not better.

As for selling organs.....wait for the R1 mark ii :).
I own an A7RIV any weakness that a lens has just gets amplified on 61mp. An older lens can certainly be used on a higher megapixel body but you won’t get the most out of the sensor in terms of fine detail.

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
How about better autofocus.. that's a biggy.
The hit rate is so high already, I'm not sure what 'better' would look like in this case in order to make a noticeable improvement. I suppose the R3 is faster at tracking and acquisition on account of the stacked sensor. QPAF looms, at least in the rumor-verse, which could improve acquisition in some scenarios.

What are you thinking for improvements?

Upvote 0