The Canon EOS R1 may not come until the 2nd half of 2023 [CR2]

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I'd take an R6ii under 2k if they fixed all the problems and restraints it had.
The R6 doesn't have any real issues anymore. The firmware updates have corrected the initial bugs it had and it is now quite the capable unit. Shoots fast, tracks well, produces quality images, ie ergonomically close to perfect (could be a smidge bigger but that is not going to happen), battery life is surprisingly acceptable (I get a thousand shots per battery most of the time). Not sure what issues are left

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

HMC11

Travel
CR Pro
Sep 5, 2020
The issues aren't with the camera. The issues are with the whiners.
And here is one more piece of whining….. I love practically everything about the R6 except for the 20mp sensor. Yes, it is from the 1DX3, and its performance is very good. However, having been used to 26mpx and later 30mpx FF cameras, I just find it psychologically hard to go to 20mp, particularly when wildlife photography is within my range of interests (and moderate cropping is needed). I have settled for the R5, which is more than I need. A R6 mark ii with 30mp would probably be close to perfect for me, until there is something else to whine about, of course :p.

Upvote 0
Yeah. I still have my 5DsR and an R6. It just depends on the day what I’m grabbing, but the battery life is often a factor. Forget to turn off a DSLR, it doesn’t matter. Forget to turn off a mirrorless camera and that battery is dead. They drain so fast on mirrorless anyway.
I'm always accidently bumping buttons on my M5 while walking around turning on the EVF so I have to remember to switch it off or be very careful, with my 90D it doesn't matter when I bump any buttons.

Upvote 0
And here is one more piece of whining….. I love practically everything about the R6 except for the 20mp sensor. Yes, it is from the 1DX3, and its performance is very good. However, having been used to 26mpx and later 30mpx FF cameras, I just find it psychologically hard to go to 20mp, particularly when wildlife photography is within my range of interests (and moderate cropping is needed). I have settled for the R5, which is more than I need. A R6 mark ii with 30mp would probably be close to perfect for me, until there is something else to whine about, of course :p.
it's so awful that you had to setting for an R5.... /s first world problems

Upvote 0

bergstrom

Photographer
Feb 23, 2015
The R6 doesn't have any real issues anymore. The firmware updates have corrected the initial bugs it had and it is now quite the capable unit. Shoots fast, tracks well, produces quality images, ie ergonomically close to perfect (could be a smidge bigger but that is not going to happen), battery life is surprisingly acceptable (I get a thousand shots per battery most of the time). Not sure what issues are left
overheating completely gone?

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
overheating completely gone?
For the most part from what I have read. Certainly enough for it to not really be an issue that hampers anything. Tbh though I don't do video so can't state definitively one way or the other.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
What lenses are you using to get 1000 shots? Are you using ES at 20 fps? I don't get many at all with the RF 100-400mm and need to check out if it is the lens or the camera.

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
The R6 and the R5 has already caused the price of the 1Dx Mark III to plummet. I was hoping with the R7 and the R1 dropping this year the price of a used 1Dx might drop even further. I wanted it because of some of its video features and because i wanted that unlimited buffer. I often hit the buffer even with the fastest memory cards on my R6.
I'm genuinely curious what subjects you are shooting and settings you are using to hit the buffer on the R6 so often? I'm using UHS- II v60 cards, and I can hold the shutter down for about 12 seconds in mechanical shutter mode before it starts to slow down because of the buffer, and about 8ish seconds in e-shutter. And at the end of that I have a ton too many images to sort through and most of them look the same. I shoot full size raws to both cards. I have not tried v90s.

-Brian

Upvote 0
As a reach-limited wildlife guy, I'm sorry we won't see the R1 sooner, but not surprised, given Canon's flagship of 4-5 years. 2023 might be optimistic. Not that I thought the R1 was going to be high-res (like some appear to believe despite all precedent).

My hope is that there is an R5-ish variant that comes out sometime with >60mp without suffering any slow-downs.

The R3 is nice, but the datastream thin for cropping into 1/8th of the frame.

This does make me start to think, though, about the possibility of having a dedicated Z9 for that little 800mm f/6.3, and use R5s for everything <=600mm. Would actually be cheaper than buying the new RF "superteleconverter" big whites. Then you guys would stop hearing me complain about being reach limited. Maybe you all should chip in.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
What lenses are you using to get 1000 shots? Are you using ES at 20 fps? I don't get many at all with the RF 100-400mm and need to check out if it is the lens or the camera.
I get that with the 70-200 (EF). A little less with my sigma 150-600c. But yes. That is at high frame rates and little to no chimping. Just straight up shooting. If I chimp that number drops significantly to maybe 5 or 600

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
I'm genuinely curious what subjects you are shooting and settings you are using to hit the buffer on the R6 so often? I'm using UHS- II v60 cards, and I can hold the shutter down for about 12 seconds in mechanical shutter mode before it starts to slow down because of the buffer, and about 8ish seconds in e-shutter. And at the end of that I have a ton too many images to sort through and most of them look the same. I shoot full size raws to both cards. I have not tried v90s.

-Brian
I guess it's all about shooting style. I am currently using uhs-1 cards and rarely hit the buffer. I can't deal with the consequences of spray and pray shooting. Dealing with several thousand images after a few hours shooting is not my idea of fun so I am very picky about when I pull the trigger.

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
I guess it's all about shooting style. I am currently using uhs-1 cards and rarely hit the buffer. I can't deal with the consequences of spray and pray shooting. Dealing with several thousand images after a few hours shooting is not my idea of fun so I am very picky about when I pull the trigger.
yes, same. The speed of the camera and buffer depth have forced me to learn trigger discipline.

-Brian

Upvote 0
yes, same. The speed of the camera and buffer depth have forced me to learn trigger discipline.

-Brian
The buffer on the R5 is so good, I seldom hit a card's limits, but sometimes I really want more. Last week I was in a kayak in the Penobscot bay taking pictures of porpoises that were coming very close. They don't like to get near people/boats. They're very hard to photograph because they pop up randomly, and when you're at 840 effective focal length in a rocking boat, and you don't know here your target will pop up for 0.2 seconds, you want to be able to do a little spray-and-pray. No dishonor in that in this case. I was hitting buffer more than half the time, using the initial surfacing to (sometimes) establish autofocus and hope there was a second surfacing 20 feet ahead of the animal in a couple seconds.

It's times like those - admittedly rare - that you really want CFexpress, rather than SD. But - as a guy who tests a lot of CFexpress cards for review purposes - I have to say that the difference between the top 20 percent of CFexpress cards and the bottom 20 percent of CFexpress cards isn't that big. (about 20 percent more images for the better cards in 30 seconds of shooting). The bigger deal is to be shooting CFexpress rather than SD in these rare cases.

-Tig
PS: Yeah, I know that's not a picture of a porpoise below. None of them came out adequately well. The harbor seals were friendlier to the R5....

Attachments

• R5_26980.jpg
    R5_26980.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 20
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
As a reach-limited wildlife guy, I'm sorry we won't see the R1 sooner, but not surprised, given Canon's flagship of 4-5 years. 2023 might be optimistic. Not that I thought the R1 was going to be high-res (like some appear to believe despite all precedent).
If the R1 *isn't* hi-res, what do you think it will offer to differentiate it from the R3?

I don't think it will have global shutter (Canon will let other brands play beta-testers on that front), but even if it did, would that really make people pay 25-50% more, when the R3 is already extremely capable and only lacking in terms of resolution?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
If the R1 *isn't* hi-res, what do you think it will offer to differentiate it from the R3?

I don't think it will have global shutter (Canon will let other brands play beta-testers on that front), but even if it did, would that really make people pay 25-50% more, when the R3 is already extremely capable and only lacking in terms of resolution?
QPAF and a few more MP. And a ‘1’ in the name.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
I suspect that the R1 will end up being as reassuringly similar as possible to the EOS 1Dx III, to tempt across as many of the remaining 1 series users to the RF mount as possible. Including as many of the R3 features as the current 1 series users have been impressed by, and (yes) some extra MP to differentiate it.

And those existing 1 series users will almost certainly love it as much as their compatriots did in the lengthy testing phase that preceded its announcement. Netizens on the other hand, and certain camera review sites, will be underwhelmed by the lack of innovation and ambition, declare meh and threaten to switch brands. [CR3]

Upvote 0