Firmware: Canon EOS R5 v1.6.0 now available

D

Deleted member 387325

Gotta say, I used to visit this site regularly and appreciated the content and community. I became a Pro to support that and then there was the drama and supposedly the site was sold. Since then, apparently it’s as if nobody owns this site or operates it—nobody responds to the listed email nor DMs to messages. If you’re going to operate a business and ask for/take peoples’ money, you have a basic obligation at that point to fulfill simple tasks and maintain the commitment. Someone is still making money on this thing but apparently they’re too good or too busy to respond to those of us who supported early. Not sweating it too much for the money paid but I’m just wondering WTF is going on—a little transparency goes a long way. Second issue I’ve had over the last six months that’s just been completely ignored and ghosted.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
This has been fixed by a firmware update several months ago. You can now set a „priority card“ in the menu of the R5. That way it will only write to the SD if you forget to re-insert the CFe
Also for the R7 you can assign a slot as priority, and I presume the R3 would b e the same as it appears to have similar menus.

Upvote 0

InchMetric

Switched from Nikon. Still zooming the wrong way.
CR Pro
Jun 22, 2021
Regarding IBIS (or any IS) and “wobble” my understanding is that wide lenses are inherently and geometrically incapable of stablization over the entire frame. That’s because an incremental angle of view has a different linear size at the center of the frame than at the edges. If you wiggle the camera by 0.1 degree. You’ll shift by a different number of pixels at the center than at the edge. Your stabilization has to pick which location to stabilize.

This isn't a flaw to be corrected, it's math to be respected.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Today I took about 300 images and had the camera freeze 3 times. The only way to get it operational again each time was to drop and reinsert the battery. All images today were taken with SERVO AF, animal eye-AF and full area tracking, shooting a series of short 1 second bursts in hi-speed burst mode. Some with electronic shutter, some with mechanical shutter. Freezes occurred with both shutter modes. Each time the camera froze, the red "writing to card" stayed on - I waited about 2-3 minutes hoping it would go out, and then got fed up so dropped the battery, knowing that the currently writing frame would be lost.

Have you tried sending your R5 back to Canon?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
or really, software. Really, no matter how deficient the hardware, the software should NEVER actually lock up. It should be written to handle the case where whatever it's trying to do to the hardware fails.
My smart phone froze the other day but auto restarts, if it required a battery pull we would have to wait for the battery to die since they are all sealed these days. Perhaps Canon could do something similar, if the camera locks up, then auto restart.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Have you tried sending your R5 back to Canon?
No, I haven't, but I know other users who have returned R5 cameras to Canon, and have been told that Canon can't reproduce the malfunction. I don't have a spare RF-mount body, so I don't want to be without a camera for 2-3 weeks while Canon tests it, especially as I anticipate that they'd devote insufficient time to testing it. Incidentally at least a couple of people here have reported that Canon have replaced the mainboard of their R5 in an attempt to fix the freezes, but that the problem persists afterwards.

I don't think an "auto-restart" feature would solve the problem, because switching the camera off and on again fails to fix it. The only way to get it operational again is to remove and reinsert the battery (this never fails).

Incidentally, these freezes don't seem to be confined to the R5. There have been reports of R3 freezes, and I have a friend whose Nikon Z9 suffers similarly.

Hardware and software is so complex in modern cameras, that unfortunately I think there'll always be a percentage of cameras that malfunction under certain conditions. This is very apparent from the number of references to "bug fixes", or "improved stability" in firmware updates, and the frequent appearance of phrases such as "under rare circumstances a phenomenon may occur in which the camera becomes non-operational"...
or really, software. Really, no matter how deficient the hardware, the software should NEVER actually lock up. It should be written to handle the case where whatever it's trying to do to the hardware fails.
It could be hardware or software, or a conflict between hardware and software. In my case the camera is fine most of the time, but locks up in a specific bird photography scenario, i.e.

SERVO AF with animal-eye AF
Shutter half-pressed for several seconds while anticipating action.
Shooting a series of short hi-speed bursts in electronic, mechanical or EFCS shutter.

I only shoot RAW normally, and I use fast Delkin and SanDisk CF-Express cards, but I'll experiment with shooting JPEG (which should prove whether or not it is a buffer problem). When the camera locks up, the red "writing to card" light remains illuminated for at least a couple of minutes, after which I get fed up waiting and reboot the camera.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Fair enough. Do we know for a fact 1.6.0 has not fixed this?
I don't think 1.6.0 has been out long enough, and tested sufficiently, to draw any conclusion. It does contain unspecified bug fixes. I'll install it in 2-3 weeks after reading feedback, but I have very little faith that the freezes will be resolved. At some stage I'll add another RF body - I'm tempted to get another R5 as the specs and handling are near-perfect, but at the same time I'm very wary that I might end up with another malfunctioning body.

Upvote 0
No, I haven't, but I know other users who have returned R5 cameras to Canon, and have been told that Canon can't reproduce the malfunction. I don't have a spare RF-mount body, so I don't want to be without a camera for 2-3 weeks while Canon tests it, especially as I anticipate that they'd devote insufficient time to testing it. Incidentally at least a couple of people here have reported that Canon have replaced the mainboard of their R5 in an attempt to fix the freezes, but that the problem persists afterwards.
The issue on your copy of the R5 sounds like it's pretty easy to reproduce with your instructions. If it was me I would try sending it back to Canon, but I can understand if you don't have a spare body. But if you do have a spare EF body and lenses I would definitely try sending it back if the latest firmware doesn't fix it.

Does anyone know if the R or RP have the freezing issues?

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I know some people might get angry with me saying this, but...my RP never froze, my R never froze. The ONLY time my R5 froze was when I was using an adapted EF 135 lens.
Why would anyone be angry? If your cameras don't suffer from any malfunctions, I'm happy for you :giggle:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Day two of using 1.6.0, roughly 5k images, no lockups. Did see something new though. While following the same type of small subject flitting around that has caused a majority of my lockups(~15, stopped documenting), the camera did a single almost imperceptible stutter where the screen froze for 1/4sec or less then went back to normal tracking. Wondering if that's the replacement lockup or some new excitement that awaits.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0