Maven Filters launches the world’s first color coded photography and videography filters

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We have known Michael for more than a decade and have worked together in the past to great success. This is being crowdfunded with Kickstarter and we ask that you read our Full Disclosure to alleviate any concerns.
We haven’t received our free filters yet, but we should soon and we can’t wait to use them.
About Maven Filters
MAVEN FILTERS was born from the frustrations I (Michael The Maven) was having with photography filter use. The first issue I had was a strong color cast when shooting long exposures for landscapes. I did not like the extra steps of color correction and felt like if I was spending quality money on a filter, I should not have to do this.
Learn more about MAVEN Filters at Kickstarter

Once I felt I had a good process for ensuring world-class color performance in the lenses themselves, I wanted to...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Colour coding is a good idea. Would be an idea for square filters too.
Colour cast has been more or less eliminated by most of the top end filters at this stage.
Yes one time they did leave a colour cast (some cool like Lee or warm). It wasn't the end of the world. Colour correction not that difficult.
Magnetic is a good idea, I have some magnetic Kase filters and its better than screwing on an off.
They are not cheap but filters have got outrageously expensive so they look reasonable.
I'm not a fan of Kickstarter, I've backed loads of project, very few were any good and some have been scandalous how they treated backers.
I really couldn't recommend it, a backer has zero protection from dubious projects (not saying this is one - it looks achieveable at least)
(Wasn't there a funny battery one promoted here that turned out to be a dud)
He should know his filters, so I'd expect they will be good.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Can these be stacked? I often use a CPL + 6 stop ND for sunrise shooting but tend to also add a grad ND (or reverse grad ND). For daylight long exposures (architecture + streaky clouds), I need to stack 6 + 10 stop NDs
There are a few filter kits that handle that level of stacking but they are all expensive eg Nisi, Lee, Haida etc. Hoya have made a range of excelled threaded CPL/ND filters for a long time now amongst many others.
I am not sure which users this set will be targeted at.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Can these be stacked? I often use a CPL + 6 stop ND for sunrise shooting but tend to also add a grad ND (or reverse grad ND). For daylight long exposures (architecture + streaky clouds), I need to stack 6 + 10 stop NDs
There are a few filter kits that handle that level of stacking but they are all expensive eg Nisi, Lee, Haida etc. Hoya have made a range of excelled threaded CPL/ND filters for a long time now amongst many others.
I am not sure which users this set will be targeted at.

They do stack magnetically. Filters have always been a cumbersome part of shooting for me, I can't wait to get my freebies and see if they solve the things that bug me about filters.

Upvote 0
They do stack magnetically. Filters have always been a cumbersome part of shooting for me, I can't wait to get my freebies and see if they solve the things that bug me about filters.
If they can be stacked magnetically, can you still add a filter holder for a grad ND? I could do this with screw/circular Hoya filters but my guess is that the magnetically attached won't be mechanically strong enough.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2021
If they can be stacked magnetically, can you still add a filter holder for a grad ND? I could do this with screw/circular Hoya filters but my guess is that the magnetically attached won't be mechanically strong enough.
I don't think you could screw other filters on top of these. They would have to be the top filters.
If they catch on, maybe they'll produce a magnetic grad ND.

Upvote 0