DXO launches PhotoLab 6 with next-level noise reduction and AI technology

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
DxO PhotoLab 6, the RAW photo editing software, redefines industry standards for denoising with groundbreaking AI technology — again
In addition to its brand-new DeepPRIME XD denoising technology, this major new version introduces advanced color management featuring a vast working color space, powerful new retouching tools, and refinements to its elegant library system.
Paris (France): DxO Labs, the company which kick-started modern RAW processing and lens correction, today announces the immediate availability of DxO PhotoLab 6, its flagship RAW image editing and workflow software. The latest version features DxO DeepPRIME XD, an AI-powered RAW conversion technology that pushes the boundaries for noise reduction and detail enhancement; a new color management system with an extended working color space; new retouching tools that redefine what photographers should expect from their software; and an upgraded library system that allows easy...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
The upgrade price seems pretty steep - I would want to know that the improvement to the Deepprime functionality is VERY good indeed ...
Indeed. The update isn't live yet on the DxO website, hopefully it will be available later today.

I bought PL5 during one of the almost continual 'special' offers for the price of the current upgrade.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
When adobe going to step up to the plate on this stuff? I feel like they are getting left behind in the noise reduction department.
On the flip side, Lightroom has more powerful masking, like the recent addition of AI-powered subject detection and the 'texture' tool are ahead of what DxO PL offers. So for natural light macro I use PL5 for denoising and distortion correction and import the resulting DNGs in to LR. Other types of pictures go straight into lightroom, if they aren't too noisy. But I agree that LR noise reduction is behind the competition, to an almost comical degree.

And @neuroanatomist had me try the DxO Viewpoint module for fixing distorted faces in wide angle shots, that also works almost like magic.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
When adobe going to step up to the plate on this stuff? I feel like they are getting left behind in the noise reduction department.
I don't think so. Any photo I take that is really worth the effort of processing is handled fine with even the most basic noise reduction software. If it is so bad that it needs something adobe can't handle then it is a throw away photo regardless of what I use because the light was just poor. And no amount of noise reduction can make a poorly lit image well lit.

• Haha
Upvote 0
On the flip side, Lightroom has more powerful masking, like the recent addition of AI-powered subject detection and the 'texture' tool are ahead of what DxO PL offers. So for natural light macro I use PL5 for denoising and distortion correction and import the resulting DNGs in to LR. Other types of pictures go straight into lightroom, if they aren't too noisy. But I agree that LR noise reduction is behind the competition, to an almost comical degree.

And @neuroanatomist had me try the DxO Viewpoint module for fixing distorted faces in wide angle shots, that also works almost like magic.
That essentially what I do. I use pure raw for high iso files, but use Lightroom/ photoshop for everything else. I like the catalogue, interface etc. in Lightroom. If Lightroom could do it all I’d be happier!

Upvote 0
I don't think so. Any photo I take that is really worth the effort of processing is handled fine with even the most basic noise reduction software. If it is so bad that it needs something adobe can't handle then it is a throw away photo regardless of what I use because the light was just poor. And no amount of noise reduction can make a poorly lit image well lit.
In my experience R5 + 100-500 at iso 12,800 pure raw (and competitors) is just magic, light years ahead of Lightroom. Give the demo a go if you haven’t tried it.
It’s the only way I have found to take wildlife photos late in the day.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
Sorry mate, I beg to differ.
For astro and wildlife photos I regularly shoot high ISOs. Not because I want to, but because I have to. DXO PureRaw2 is a game changer compared to Adobe. And the plug-in is almost seamless so its easy to use the great features of LR.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
I feel so left behind when it comes to this stuff. I've never once edited in Lightroom and thought to myself I wish I had more/better noise reduction capability. Curious what types of shooting and ISO levels are producing photos where this is wanted.
I take a lot of natural-light (or minimally lit) macro pictures, and there are occasions where high ISO is unavoidable. DxO has 'saved' some pretty unique pictures over the years. Not all the time, but sometimes.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Nemorino

EOS R5
Aug 29, 2020
I wish I had more/better noise reduction capability. Curious what types of shooting and ISO levels are producing photos where this is wanted.
Try PureRAW, it is a fantastic tool.
I use it eg for dragonflies or hummingbird moths in flight. Some pictures are posted in the dragonfly or butterfly threads of CR. With 1/4000s I often need ISO 12 800. No problem if You use DxO.

Upvote 0
For all the "I hate the subscription model", how does the upgrade perpetual license pricing stack up vs LR/PS subscription? ie how often would you do it? I would upgrade LR every second year so the pricing was about the same except PS is bundled as well making it very worthwhile. I don't use PS often but need it when I do some stitching, complex masking/subject removal, multiple image stacking/blending.
I am intrigued about companies throwing around "AI"... does the request go back to the cloud for processing or is there local AI engines to process the request? ML is different of course.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Wouldn't that literally be the point of AI to make fixes with less compromise. I feel like your logic is old school. "AI" is the future. I will try this out soon and hopefully it works as good as promised.

Upvote 0

AJ

Sep 11, 2010
Canada
Wouldn't that literally be the point of AI to make fixes with less compromise. I feel like your logic is old school. "AI" is the future. I will try this out soon and hopefully it works as good as promised.
I guess it depends how one feels about using AI to enhance photos. These AI algorithms are trained on a large dataset of photos so that they can reduce noise on yours. By doing so, other people's photos become incorporated in your photo, albeit very subtly so. In short, the magic doesn't come from your photo, but it comes from photos taken by others in more favorable conditions. Personally I am not okay with using AI in this manner but it seems that most people are. YMMV.

• Haha
Upvote 0