Canon EOS R6 Mark II – Here are some more specifications

My R6 was in use last night shooing a school concert. Total of 3 hours. Shot in FHD 25p IPB (There is no All-I option in the R6) Firmware is UTD.

Not sure why you'd use a photo-centric camera to record a long show rather than a camcorder that is designed to do such tasks.
But, yes hopefully Canon will sort the overheating problem in the Mk II.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
BTW (and sorry for off topic, but maybe for reference), I was shooting 4K video in June (my annual basketball project, so indoors in air conditioning), and my G5X II overheated. I pulled out my iPhone and shot until the Canon cooled down. In both cases I was shooting 4K to give me room to crop to zoom in and out and follow the action and produce good quality 1080p. In the final product, it is not obvious which clips came from which camera. Because of the wider lens, I guess I had less editing leeway with the phone shots. And I did miss the beginning of some clips with the Canon, since the autofocus fished around a bit. I should have just used manual focus in the first place, given the DOF that the little lens has anyway. Set it and forget it. I have always used this project to try out and sometimes learn to use my newer equipment, and this was the first time with the G5, so now I know better.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
In Germany, Canon started a winter cash back discount on the R6, so I’m guessing the Mk ii version won’t be coming until February at least. Cash back officially goes until dec, 31st, but a local retailers said he was was told that canon might/ probably/ certainly will extend it until mid-January. With the last few promos canon did extend the deadline for a couple weeks…

I was hoping for a new camera in 2022, not necessarily to upgrade asap, but to have time and maybe get a camera earlier than planned (summer 2024). Love the R for travel, landscape, portrait and stuff, but the AF & FPS is kind of hellish to use for sports sometimes…

It seems like I’m going to have wait.

Upvote 0

SHAMwow

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 7, 2020
What I don't get is why so many people purchased the camera, with its known shortcomings, and then are blaming the product. I knew everything when I bought my R5, which is why I couldn't care less about the hundreds of overheating videos in the months following launch. If the R6 didn't suit your needs, why buy it?

Last note, just because a camera CAN, doesn't mean you should. These complaints are exactly how we got to the stagnation during and after the 5D IV release. Canon never releases half-baked things, but then everyone is now upset about 8K/4k in their respective cameras. I've never once shot 8K on the R5. As stated earlier, the R6 is a pocket/affordable mirrorless 1DX and should be applauded for that.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

SHAMwow

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 7, 2020
In Germany, Canon started a winter cash back discount on the R6, so I’m guessing the Mk ii version won’t be coming until February at least. Cash back officially goes until dec, 31st, but a local retailers said he was was told that canon might/ probably/ certainly will extend it until mid-January. With the last few promos canon did extend the deadline for a couple weeks…

I was hoping for a new camera in 2022, not necessarily to upgrade asap, but to have time and maybe get a camera earlier than planned (summer 2024). Love the R for travel, landscape, portrait and stuff, but the AF & FPS is kind of hellish to use for sports sometimes…

It seems like I’m going to have wait.
Camera is two years old, why do you guys think its coming out early next year?

Upvote 0
Camera is two years old, why do you guys think its coming out early next year?
Well, honestly:
I have been saying for a long time now, that the R6 only needs an update to make room for well-specd R8 and since I'm in the market and waiting for that kind of camera, I'd love to see it happen sooner than later. And with all the current rumors, I´m probably just growing impatient :)

But seriously: My plan is to update/ upgrade in summer/ fall 2024 and keep my R as back-up/ second camera, so if R8 and R6mii are out by then, great! I'd love to see both cameras and have a choice.

But if Canon were to speed things up, I'd join them. But I'd also consider the R6 itself if there is an intriguing offer at of the retailers I check regularly.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
My R6 was in use last night shooing a school concert. Total of 3 hours. Shot in FHD 25p IPB (There is no All-I option in the R6) Firmware is UTD. Anyway, it overheated and shut down with a half hour to go. Canon still have a serious overheating problem with this camera so they need to address it in the version ii.

Not sure why you'd use a photo-centric camera to record a long show rather than a camcorder that is designed to do such tasks.
Most courts would find a video of a three-hour school concert to be cruel and unusual punishment. Be thankful Canon shut it down. :)

• Haha
Upvote 0
Canon will never give you the top LCD on the R6 series. Why should they? They want you to feel like you have bought the second choice camera. So you keep looking at the R5 in the future. They don’t serve you, you serve them!
You want an affordable fullframe body with 45 mpix, inbuilt battery grip, global shutter, fast eye/spot AF switch mode, etc. But they don’t care about you. They will keep producing stuff that is good for them. Not for you. The trick is: you have to keep wishing for better, so you keep buying. The time were Canon made the perfect camera is OVER. They will always leave some specs out that makes it the best camera for you. I bought 2 R6 bodies on a cashback period, so I paid 1800 a piece Tax excluded.
I use my ‘old’ EF lenses. Just to bully them back.

The eye AF is a mayor advantage. That’s why I use these camera’s. They are far from perfect. My R6 bodies sometimes suddenly freeze. The output is horrible when shooting projectorscreens, led lights, tungsten, etc. Even with anti-flicker mode activated.
They cannot even make their products work. As you can tell, I am extremely disappointed in Canon for a while now. And NO I am not a troll, and I am not working for another camera brand. I am a press photographer with a critical view on Canons way of going about these days…

I am waiting for the camera that has 45 mpix, quick shift between eye and spot AF, inbuilt battery grip and a shutter that does not go crazy when shooting tungsten/led/beamerscreens etc.

And when it hits the market I will wait for a cashback or pricedrop. Just because Canons pricing is beyond every limit.

Canon, come on!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think it would also be strategic to wait until the last second before the Olympics because Canons competition is due for an A9iii and maybe an A1ii, and if they can time it to release after Sony does, then they can make sure they have features to pull ahead of Sony's latest feature list at release.

How much do you think they can change at such short notice?

Having a great product is one thing, but business is a very competitive market and the moment you slouch, someone else pulls ahead.

I would observe that in terms of sales/market share, the release of any single camera body makes little difference, especially at the top end. Also, pulling ahead in specs (however measured) ≠ pulling ahead in sales - for example, Nikon was lauded for the D800/850 and yet its position declined. Not to mention, chasing the cutting edge may reduce the profitability per unit sold.

Technology is advancing at exponential rates these days and I think we will be seeing faster refreshes from all the camera manufacturers.

I don't think camera body tech is advancing exponentially. And as the market has contracted, it might make more sense for longer gaps between updates/less significant changes between generations?

Upvote 0
What I don't get is why so many people purchased the camera, with its known shortcomings, and then are blaming the product. I knew everything when I bought my R5, which is why I couldn't care less about the hundreds of overheating videos in the months following launch. If the R6 didn't suit your needs, why buy it?

Last note, just because a camera CAN, doesn't mean you should. These complaints are exactly how we got to the stagnation during and after the 5D IV release. Canon never releases half-baked things, but then everyone is now upset about 8K/4k in their respective cameras. I've never once shot 8K on the R5. As stated earlier, the R6 is a pocket/affordable mirrorless 1DX and should be applauded for that.

Why buy the R6? Because there is no alternative. If you come from the 1dX series and want the advantages of eye-AF and don’t want to spend 7000 euro’s per camera.

Upvote 0

bergstrom

Photographer
Feb 23, 2015

"affordable" ??

Upvote 0
So many closed-minded commenters. This is actually a very good idea. To answer the naysayers:
  1. Owner can decide whether or not to activate the feature in menus. Those who don't like it don't have to use it.
  2. Owner can set the length of time before the camera locks.
  3. Face recognition can be used just like iPhones so that a simple glance at the camera's backside will unlock it.
  4. No security is foolproof, but once it is widely implemented it will serve as a strong deterrent.
  5. Canon can send a unique code to user's cell phone to unlock the camera if you forget the code or otherwise can't open it.
  6. Lenses could even be locked unless they are mounted on a camera.
  7. Add a "find my camera" app to make recovery easier.
Agree with #1/#2/#4
#3 A back side sensor would be needed in the rear screen specifically for the face detection but would also need it in the EVF ie both places => higher cost. Not sure what would happen for when you are using remote triggers or for vlogging etc. Could be set for once/day to avoid these issues compared to phones that need to open lots
#5 Canon would need to know your serial number and current contact phone number. Not saying that it isn't a reasonable idea but why provide more personal data to companies when cyber breaches are way too common now. Selling second hand would be problematic especially after you sell it and then the buyer wants you to authorise the transfer to someone else... which you could potentially do for an extra fee!
#6 Free lensing, 3rd party adapters/extension tubes/bellows, reverse mounted for macro, etc would be problematic. Of course, the vast majority of usage would be fixed normally to bodies.
#7 Something like an embedded airtag is an option. I keep one in my camera bag anyway. All the radio transmitter (BT/wifi/gps etc) approvals would already be done. Is there an android version? Creating a custom Canon "find my camera" app would be clunky at best given Canon's SW prowess.

Upvote 0
Canon can do and has done plenty that is wrong, but there is an old saying, "get the right tool for the job".

Shooting 3 hours of video with what is primarily a stills FF camera? Not a Canon problem.
I can't agree more. I always find it amusing to see "hybrid" shooters spend a pretty penny kitting out a hybrid camera for shooting video and yell and scream about so called missing video features on their camera, and complain about things like overheating, but.... when you ask them how many stills they've actually taken with that camera that they're using for video, not everybody, but, more often than not, they don't use it for anything but video. It's essentially a video camera. ??? Oh... you want a hybrid camera because it costs less than the proper video camera that's actually designed to work the way your trying to use it, but insist on having those same features and functionality on a less expensive camera that by nature of the design of the camera is going to have compromises because it has to handle multiple competing use cases with some amount of reasonableness.... kind of like the the guys that insist on having C500 performance in the form factor and price of an RP. Can't have your cake and eat it too. If you need a tool that works for shooting 3+ hours of video, then get the right tool to do that. Can't afford it? Then you're not charging enough. Can't charge that much? Then either deal with trying to deliver something on a budget, or hold the line and say it costs that much or you get nothing. The client will decide what they want to pay and if they don't want to pay, then don't do it. Surely there's enough paying work to be had that shooters can be selective. I know I'm busy enough that I absolutely am selective like that. It's just not worth the heartburn of trying to get a job done with tools that are ill fitting for the work.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Agree with #1/#2/#4
#3 A back side sensor would be needed in the rear screen specifically for the face detection but would also need it in the EVF ie both places => higher cost. Not sure what would happen for when you are using remote triggers or for vlogging etc. Could be set for once/day to avoid these issues compared to phones that need to open lots
#5 Canon would need to know your serial number and current contact phone number. Not saying that it isn't a reasonable idea but why provide more personal data to companies when cyber breaches are way too common now. Selling second hand would be problematic especially after you sell it and then the buyer wants you to authorise the transfer to someone else... which you could potentially do for an extra fee!
#6 Free lensing, 3rd party adapters/extension tubes/bellows, reverse mounted for macro, etc would be problematic. Of course, the vast majority of usage would be fixed normally to bodies.
#7 Something like an embedded airtag is an option. I keep one in my camera bag anyway. All the radio transmitter (BT/wifi/gps etc) approvals would already be done. Is there an android version? Creating a custom Canon "find my camera" app would be clunky at best given Canon's SW prowess.
Don't forget a remote start button on the key fob.

Upvote 0

Refraction

CR Pro
Sep 5, 2020
Canon think this way too. Each specific use case = a different camera. I was also using an R as a b cam, same settings, no issues.

Upvote 0

Joel C

EOS R6, EOS R, EOS RP
CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Tacoma, WA
This is simply not correct.
Especialy after the last firmware the R5 can record pretty much limitless. Just last week we documented a concert with 3 R5 cameras. All set to 4kHQ (Which is pretty much the same es 8k) and run easily for 3 hours straight.

And btw, in "regular" 4k we had never any overheat problems, even before the firmware update.
So the overheat problem is pretty much blown out of proportion.

Its quite interesting: the R5 was extremely hated for the overheating. Now that canon fixed the problem in firmware, there is barely ANY discussion about this.
Most people that would have bought and used this camera had to buy from another camera maker. That's why you do not hear and discussion about this. Overheating is a well known issue, so people don't even bother to try it.
Last year was a perfect example use case for me. I went to Peru in the Amazon jungle for two weeks to film. The Canon R5/R6 were not even on the gear list, as space was limited and there's no way you are going to miss the assignment with a camera that has over heated in the jungle.

Upvote 0
You are not crazy to think that.
I do not think it will drop quite that low, but it would not shock me.
The R6 is currently to be had in Switzerland for CHF 1'849.- plus 300.- in Cashback making it a darn good deal, even if you had to pay shipping and income taxes on it. The R5 price hasn't moved much since its introduction but if someone has been on the fence about getting an R6 I'd guess now is a pretty good time to do that.1666700513670.png

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Cameras are not only upgraded to sell to people who have the previous version.
Exactly. An R6II would be targeted at 6-series and APS-C DSLR along with RP/R users as much as (if not more than) R6 owners. But trolls like @Cyborx love to put up silly, strawman arguments.

Upvote 0