Canon will release a trio of RF mount wide angle L prime lenses in the first half of 2023

photographer

CR Pro
Jan 17, 2020
They wont profit at all when people like me eventually switch to Sony.

I've always been a Canon shooter and decided to give the R5 a go after the R. But my next camera won't be a Canon unless we start seeing mid-tier lenses from Tamron/ Sigma/Rokinon.

It's not just about price, either. All the fast L lenses are massive. For travel photography, that's a no.
Sigma art lenses are also massive. Canon RF 50 1.2 - 950 g and Sigma Art 50 1.4 - 815 g. I know - EF 1.4 x RF 1.2 - not ideal for comparison. Sony FE 50 1.2 GM weighs 778 g. I would not change the system because of the saved 172 g per lens.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

photographer

CR Pro
Jan 17, 2020
That’s exactly what I think, too. It is very frustrating how Canon isn’t allowing third party companies to make lenses with autofocus. The customers are really the losers here. I am seriously considering switching to Sony because of this.
On the other hand, there are many people who have Canon because it has top quality lenses. And if someone has the 35, 50 and 85 L 1.2 or the 15 - 35, 24 - 70 and 70 - 200 L 2.8, will they mind that Sigma can't make RF lenses? Probably in the future Canon will make more affordable 1.4 lenses, but they decided to satisfy professionals (L 1.2) and hobby photographers (1.8) first. Does anyone blame Apple for not making $200 phones? Certainly not shareholders. :)

Upvote 0
The arguments in this thread are so funny - at the moment Canon can get away with closing their mount because Nikon is losing market share, but at the same time very soon Sony is going to start eating into their share with the new smaller/better lenses and options for cameras. On the other end, Fuji is also now eating into their shares with their growing options and choices. Canon got into mirrorless late along with Nikon and it cost them both, and now it looks like Canon didn't learn from their mistakes about third parties and they're going to end up losing out in a year or two even more.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
The arguments in this thread are so funny - at the moment Canon can get away with closing their mount because Nikon is losing market share, but at the same time very soon Sony is going to start eating into their share with the new smaller/better lenses and options for cameras.
Or there is going to be another Vaio moment, as Sony happens to be unable to compete with Canon on body prices.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
...very soon Sony is going to start eating into their share with the new smaller/better lenses and options for cameras. On the other end, Fuji is also now eating into their shares with their growing options and choices. Canon got into mirrorless late along with Nikon and it cost them both, and now it looks like Canon didn't learn from their mistakes about third parties and they're going to end up losing out in a year or two even more.
You're the one making funny arguments here. On what do you base these predictions? Do you not realize the data show the opposite? From 2020 to 2021 (the most recent YoY data, since this year's data are not yet available, obviously), Fuji gained 0.9% share, Sony gained 1.9% share, and Canon gained 2.5% share. Canon not only dominates the camera market, they continue to gain relative to all the other manufacturers, further increasing their dominance.

But hey, keep on predicting and maybe someday you'll be right.

CB.gif

...or not.

Upvote 0
You're the one making funny arguments here. On what do you base these predictions? Do you not realize the data show the opposite? From 2020 to 2021 (the most recent YoY data, since this year's data are not yet available, obviously), Fuji gained 0.9% share, Sony gained 1.9% share, and Canon gained 2.5% share. Canon not only dominates the camera market, they continue to gain relative to all the other manufacturers, further increasing their dominance.

But hey, keep on predicting and maybe someday you'll be right.

View attachment 206845

...or not.

I mean you're cherry picking statistics since most of Canon's share comes from the 5D IV and now discontinued M series but sure keep on picking!

Upvote 0

TonyG

R5
Oct 17, 2022
Toronto
Canon not only dominates the camera market, they continue to gain relative to all the other manufacturers, further increasing their dominance.

Before you start with the insults, here is my opinion.
I love my Canon kit, but I also like my Sony kit.
Sony has some things Canon does not, and Canon has some things Sony does not.
To say that Canon Dominates the market, (and I know you're going to bring up their ILC sales, which includes all the DSLR bodies they still sell like the Txi series...etc,etc) is not a fair assessment as the future of photography technology is the mirrorless market and both Canon and Sony are pretty close to each other.

They are both market leaders and I think are both neck in neck right now in terms of body features and lens design.
One will release a new body this year, the other will release a body the year after. It is a competitive market with both leaders pushing each other at the moment. I love this competition because I am able to get some pretty awesome premium features that would have only been saved for a higher tier body in a lower more affordable body.

That being said, IF a professional who wants or needs a feature or lens now, they will not settle for less and will not be brand loyal and will purchase what they need. I am a prime example of this. I needed wide glass and went with the only other option I was able to purchase. I would prefer to stick to the RF line, I love my R6 and patiently waiting for an R5ii to come out to make the upgrade, but I am still waiting for a 35 1.2/1.4 and a 14 1.8 to replace my Sony GM's.

I was going to move my R6's to R5's as I am slowly consolidating everything to Canon, but since the R6ii's were released, I chose to wait for the R5ii, I would have loved to wait for the R1, but:
1: I have to wait until 2024, as of today my A1 is my prime work horse I use and it works amazing. By the time the R1 is released, there might be an A1ii which would be another deciding factor to contend with between the brand war.
2: I prefer a smaller more portable body and I can only assume the R1 is going to be a large gripped body.

A professional who makes money in this field can swap gear around and play with multiple systems. However, someone new or a hobbyist who has been waiting and waiting and waiting, might not be so loyal as to continue to wait.
Cannon will never die in doom, but one thing I have noticed is a lot of these youtubers are all running Sony gear. So as a new photographer, or videographer, guess what they might be enticed to purchase as their first system and grow with. The R5c is a perfect example of how it should be on the Netflix approved video list in order to compete with Sony's FX3. Just because the current generation is loyal to Canon because of their history, does not mean future generations will be.
The smartest thing I think Canon did was release the R6ii. It gave way to a ton of used R6's that are a cheaper viable option to push people to the Canon ecosystem. IF they do the R5ii in the spring, Another wave of used R5's will hit the market and push DSLR users to mirrorless and RF glass.

Canon has caught up with Sony's mirrorless market in many regards, but this lens thing is still a pain to deal with. What is interesting is the crazy sales on RF L glass right now. I sometimes wonder what the actual margins are on the manufacturing of the glass.

Upvote 0

Snapster

EOS R5
Nov 28, 2022
Lol. To paraphrase, "If Canon doesn't give me what I want, I'll switch to Sony and so will all the people like me, and Canon will suffer." Good luck with that.

Feedback to Canon given here...isn't.
Now you're just trying really hard to incite further pointless argument. Why did you even post that nonsense?

If I was a Canon exec, I would be paying close attention to sites like these to get insight what heavy-users think.

Upvote 0
I do not think it is lack of demand as much as a lack of will. They like big flashy trophy glass that make people talk. And, as others mentioned, they totally blew it and made a shitty 50 EF for years, maybe they afraid of touching now
Do you really think either of these statements is realistic?

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Now you're just trying really hard to incite further pointless argument. Why did you even post that nonsense?

If I was a Canon exec, I would be paying close attention to sites like these to get insight what heavy-users think.
If I was a Canon exec, I would set up something like Canon Professional Services and send requests for opinions directly to people already invested Canon products

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
The Sigma works but it requires some tweaking with the Sigma Dock.
I have not heard of anyone getting the Tamron to focus well.
I can't imagine a Canon version having any problems at all.
I simply don't see Canon releasing a zoom that goes past 500mm natively; I would expect at most a super-expensive supertele zoom like the recent patents, along the lines of the 200-400+1.4. They added 100mm on to their standard L long zoom (100-500 replacing the EF 100-400L) and both that and the consumer RF 100-400 are compatible with teleconverters, so I think they will feel it's covered adequately.

Upvote 0

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
If I was a Canon exec, I would set up something like Canon Professional Services and send requests for opinions directly to people already invested Canon products
I do not know what country you are in, but I have had CPS since the begining of the program. It is 250 a year here I believe. Other than front of the line repairs, which is a god send at times, the rest of CPS is a total joke. The rewards page on CPS has not worked in 2 years here.

Upvote 0

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
The Sigma works but it requires some tweaking with the Sigma Dock.
I have not heard of anyone getting the Tamron to focus well.
I can't imagine a Canon version having any problems at all.
I had a few sigma adapters, traded them all in at my shop. not viable for my needs. I am sure they are great for some users and well worth it.

Upvote 0