After almost 30 years, Canon is ending the “Kiss” branding in Japan

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
With the announcement of the Canon EOS R50, which is the “spiritual” successor to the Canon EOS M50/M50 Mark II (Kiss M2) will not be using the “KISS” branding in Japan. This branding has existed for almost 30 years. What about “Rebel”? I think that it’s safe to say that we won’t be seeing that

See full article...

Deepboy

Headshot photographer
Jun 28, 2017
Italy
Says a European/German, that never understood, how marketing could find these different naming conventions good.
As an Italian, I never understood it, too.
Every time you read an info/review in English, which is the language of 99% of what I personally read online, I always had to understand which was the camera they were talking about.
The craziest thing I just recently found is having to deal with a 250D...which is also an SL3...but also a 200D Mark II...I don't know if there are any other names...so confusing ahah.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Yes the whole Kiss/Rebel/xxxxD thing was quite annoying. Now we will all know what we are talking about, regardless of region. TBH though, I still feel like the first thing people saw on all those Costco Rebel kits was the 'Canon' part. So I don't know how powerful the Rebel name was in relationship to that, except maybe as a tool in ads.

-Brian

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Was equally glad to see the (Olympus) OM-D E-M1 Mkiii become (with improvements) simply the OM 1
As someone with several film OMs who is regularly on the hunt for more OM stuff it is pure hell as it makes all search results unusable (same as with the Pen F).
Reusing names without any indicator to differentiate is just bad.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
IMO after this comment the discussion could be closed!
Says a European/German, that never understood, how marketing could find these different naming conventions good.
American here. I was also not a fan of this naming convention (or lack thereof). The REBEL T3i badge on the front of my old camera always annoyed me. If anything, it further cheapened that camera. Just call it a 600D globally.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
In the US, and also found the different names confusing, because a lot of the printed info only referenced the numeric name. Now of course there's two ways to fix that: name it Rebel everywhere, or name it the 750 (or whatever) here (I *think* that's what my Rebel T6i is equivalent to). I would have preferred the latter option actually; because that numbering system was (and is) a coherent part of a bigger system. I'll be glad to see the Rebel name go extinct. It's just a source of confusion. Worse, the T6 versus T6i is a HUGE difference in fact (four digit level to three digit in the real world) but looks minor.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
IMO after this comment the discussion could be closed!
Japan is a different world, I can tell you. First time I walked in Pachinko hall in Kyushu, in the late 90s, I was both fascinated and shocked by the massive sound of thousands of falling metal balls at one time - and I am not easily shocked by noise, I am an old King Crimson/Robert Fripp fan... KISS is something that also could have been invented in a novel written by Murakami. Btw a famous US rock band has the same name ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Japan is a different world,…I am an old King Crimson/Robert Fripp fan... KISS … a famous US rock band has the same name ;)
Thanks for the insight.
I know I‘m far from understanding anything east of the Oder ;)

But I love King Crimson and like KISS.
But from my first disco days I was wearing ear protection.
Because I didn‘t like to sleep with tinnitus - not knowing what good I did to my ears. Today I still can enjoy that music through most frequencies

Upvote 0