Best of Canon 2023: #1 RF 200-800 F6.3-9 IS USM

Any serious wildlifer / birder will already have this range covered by a 600/4 and a 1.4x tc or a 400/2.8 and a 2x tc.

Is "serious" the adjective you mean here? or do you mean "professional"? Are the two supposed to be the same?

I think there are plenty of birders who are "serious" enough to pay $2000 or $3000 for a lens like the 200-800 or the 100-500, but can't justify the price of a decent quality used car.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Any information on when Canon will be shipping the Canon RF 200-800mm f/6.3-9 IS lens?

It's been shipping, but supply is low. Unless you had an early pre-order in, might be a while.
Yes. I pre-ordered a few hours after the announcement and received mine on Friday from B&H. Adorama is saying March 2023 expected availability.

Upvote 0
Canon is sufficiently ruthless that it will bring out a new lens to render an existing one obsolete, real or imaginary, so that current owners will replace it if it will make Canon money. That's its stock in trade for bodies.
I would agree in the past about the bodies but with regular feature updates - to the R5 at least - it has just improved the existing model

Upvote 0
There are already 3rd party manual focus lenses being made. Canon need not approve them. Canon only halted those 3rd party lenses that infringed on their Autofocus patents.
I should have been clearer... The specific wide/bright lenses for astro that Sigma has released were my main interest. AF is not needed for that use-case.
In the list
https://www.canonrumors.com/third-party-lenses-for-the-rf-mount/
only TTartisan has a full frame lens that meets that requirement. I will look more closely at the 21mm/f1.5 but don't have much hope for decent coma performance at that price.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Most of us who regularly post on the bird threads don't have a 600/4 or 400/2.8 so you are asking for trouble!
I've noticed comments regarding the weight of primes making it more difficult to move quickly and of course the problem when a subject is suddenly too close to fit in the frame, while the the ability to zoom out saves the image. I didn't forget minimum focus distance.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Yes, as a serious birder, I have neither. And, yes, a person can be a serious bird photographer without being wealthy enough to afford those types of lenses. The Sigma, and Tamron lenses that go up to 600mm are essentially the same weight and are carried about by many photographers. Competing against these "up to 600mm" lenses from Sigma and Tamron seems to be the market that Canon is going after, especially for Full Frame users who may find the 100-500mm a bit too short for birding.
I am someone that definitely believes we can save our money for years if those expensive lenses are our priority, but it's ridiculous to suggest you can't be serious until you have bought those lenses.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
People do have to earn a living. I find the commercials on You Tube videos less annoying than some of the popups on forums.

Wegener is a good photographer and I've found his advice on things like setting up autofocus for birds quite helpful. Like everything, you just have to be selective.
Another thing about the product endorsements is you can skip past the endorsement fairly easily. There's also the option of directing your attention to something else while you wait for it to end.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I should have been clearer... The specific wide/bright lenses for astro that Sigma has released were my main interest. AF is not needed for that use-case.
In the list
https://www.canonrumors.com/third-party-lenses-for-the-rf-mount/
only TTartisan has a full frame lens that meets that requirement. I will look more closely at the 21mm/f1.5 but don't have much hope for decent coma performance at that price.
Hopefully, this will be the year Canon addresses this segment.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Is that a Canon punishment for spreading rumors?

It's worth pointing out that in the UK at least, the 100-500 has been cheaper than the 200-800 since the latter's release. That muddies the waters somewhat.
I agree, although the two lenses have very different use case scenarios. I can't imagine a 200-800 being used as a general walk abouts. Even if it's in a bag or a case in the boot / trunk of a car...it's going to take up some bag real estate. The 100-500 fits easily where the older 70-200/2.8 lens shape used to be in most camera bags.
I really don't think any one really needs both lenses and they fit different shooting needs. However, some people will want to buy both.

One group who I didn't consider are the guys with the Tamrom or Sigma 150-600 who want an upgrade. Apologies. That's a really simple answer, guys to what a better lens, sharper wide open and a fair bit more reach. Better build and similar size and weight. They will probably already have a specific bag the new RF 200-800 would fit into and are already accustomed to the long range. They would also be used to taking this lens out for specific shoots as apposed to having a RF100-500 in the bag for "light but long duty" walk abouts. Selling their existing Sigma / Tamron would also help lessing the upgrade cost too. Maybe this group are the guys who will help shift the early sales the most?

Upvote 0