Here we go again, the Canon RF 35mm f/1.4L rumored to be announced next month

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
I want to learn about the minuscule negative effect of IS on image quality. Could you post links, please? Thx. [I have heard about the possibility of negative affect with IS on a tripod - even that is not confirmed]. Thx.
To be precise, I think that the negative impacts of the ILIS system are more than compensated by its positive impact when you actually need stabilization, i.e. when you are shutter speed-limited. Plus the stabilization of the viewfinder, especially in the case of long lenses.
But when shutter speed is not an issue (i.e. you have enough light that your shutter is fast enough for whatever focal length you are shooting at), I cannot believe that having an element moving inside the lens does not have a detrimental impact, albeit small.

I've read things about it but nothing overly scientific.
E.g. there's this old thread on dpreview. Or I could find this article.
I could not find anything more definitive than that

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
I have real use for IS at shorter focal lengths. It comes real handy when walking down streets/landscape at low light without a tripod. Real handy. :)
I would be delighted with a 1.2 with IS lens.
I would buy that! :ROFLMAO:
But I still think that the IBIS in the R5 is plenty for short-ish focal lengths

• Haha
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
Canon Rumors Premium
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Standing back from keyboard and putting on my noise cancelling headphones.....let the bitching begin....
Meanwhile...I'm popping out with my delightful EF 35mm f1.4 II L and I'm going to take some photos.
I loved that lens.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
Canon Rumors Premium
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
A 35mm lens might not be a portrait lens for you, but it is for me. I'd prefer a 35mm f/1.0 if I could have it, but I'm so far doing fine with an f/1.4. For really tricky situations, I can get twice the separation by stitching a panorama taken with my 85/1.4 from the same distance.
But won't that landscape lens break if you use it for portraits? :p

Upvote 0
Why is that we have to accept F6.3 and F7.1 RF lenses (compared to F5.6) because of better high ISO performance of modern sensors but 35mm 1.4 is not enough and we want F1.2? This is not a portrait lens, i rather have something more portable.
What in the heck are you talking about?? This is my most important portrait lens! I’m an environmental portrait photographer and 35mm is perfect and I have the 1.4 and it’s not enough separation ( and yes it he extra 1/3 will
make a difference in the way that I shoot and position subject to camera and then subject to background distance). I’ve been waiting forever for the 1.2. It better happen this year.
Not everyone is a birder or landscape photographer.
I guess I’m relegated to ACR/Lightroom ai depth of field then. It works ok if you’re not trying to go from f8 to 1.2. But f2 to 1.2 looks kinda believable.

Upvote 0
Will Canon announce both 1.2 and 1.4? Unlikely, but would be nice. I prefer the 1.2 but if they both are announced and 1.4 has IS and 1.2 does not, I will have to give it a long hard look before finalizing. But I know that I am overthinking...
If you have IBIS I don’t t see the need for IS on a 35mm. But im
A portrait photographer and don’t make fast moves with my camera or shoot any video.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
Yes please! ‍I’ve been waiting for a 35 1.2 forever. Really the only lens I care about. I wish it was f1 to be honest
Yeah, and it is not like the rest of the large aperture RF L prime line-up is known for being lightweight.

RF 50L = 950g
RF 85L = 1195g
RF 135L = 935g

A 1 kg 35L would fit right in.

Upvote 0
What in the heck are you talking about?? This is my most important portrait lens! I’m an environmental portrait photographer and 35mm is perfect and I have the 1.4 and it’s not enough separation ( and yes it he extra 1/3 will
make a difference in the way that I shoot and position subject to camera and then subject to background distance). I’ve been waiting forever for the 1.2. It better happen this year.
Not everyone is a birder or landscape photographer.
I guess I’m relegated to ACR/Lightroom ai depth of field then. It works ok if you’re not trying to go from f8 to 1.2. But f2 to 1.2 looks kinda believable.
If you're going to use the 35mm 1.2 as an environmental portrait, why would you need 1.2 which would obliterate the background. I thought the whole point of a 35mm was to show the background environment. Why not just use a 50mm 1.2 or 85mm 1.2 if you want the background gone.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
If you're going to use the 35mm 1.2 as an environmental portrait, why would you need 1.2 which would obliterate the background. I thought the whole point of a 35mm was to show the background environment. Why not just use a 50mm 1.2 or 85mm 1.2 if you want the background gone.
No no. It is about the focal length. Also when shooting landscape with focus set at Infiniti and nothing in the foreground (eg New York Skyline), 1.2 would work great at sunset.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
To be precise, I think that the negative impacts of the ILIS system are more than compensated by its positive impact when you actually need stabilization, i.e. when you are shutter speed-limited. Plus the stabilization of the viewfinder, especially in the case of long lenses.
But when shutter speed is not an issue (i.e. you have enough light that your shutter is fast enough for whatever focal length you are shooting at), I cannot believe that having an element moving inside the lens does not have a detrimental impact, albeit small.

I've read things about it but nothing overly scientific.
E.g. there's this old thread on dpreview. Or I could find this article.
I could not find anything more definitive than that
I would like to add that even for 70 and 85mm ibis is more than enough for hand held video to become smooth

Upvote 0