Review: Canon’s new super telephoto lens cases

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Blackcoffee.
Yep more discrete right up to the point you get twelve or eighteen inches of bright white out of it and then add several more inches when you turn the hood around! :oops::LOL::LOL:

Cheers, Graham.

These things just like the previous hard cases could be a little more discrete without the big Canon logo on them.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
It's very much dependent on the way the lens/camera is supported within the bag and not necessarily unsafe. As far as ripping a lens off a camera, that would assume the camera is being carried with the lens hanging unsupported. With the "big" lenses the lens is carried and the camera resides rather safely on the lens. I can only speak for myself with the 300 2.8 and 400 DO and I'm not involved with ski photography.

Jack
And I attach both the tripod foot and the camera base to two BlackRapid fasteners so the weight is spread and if one comes loose the other is still there.

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
I travel all over the world with my Canon f2.8 300mm IS USM II as a carry on personal item. I guess based on size its treated the same as a handbag if I was a woman. Based on the airline it goes under my seat or in the top bin. It is my "go to" lens for "hand held" sports action shooting. The hard case is wonderful and its kept my lens safe in the harshest shooting or traveling conditions. I have larger big whites too, but ship them in black stage containers also inside their hard cases. I've never had to MA a lens if it was shipped or carried in it's hard case. I think Canon should continue the practice of delivering each lens with a hard case, key and lock. When I travel I also carry a chain that goes through each handle on my five big whites in each case. I've never lost or had stolen a lens this way. Perhaps I'm lucky but the chain through the handles I'm sure was a deterrent at leadt once for someone who was thinking g of a quick opportunity to walk off with 10K+ lens. Personally I would love a Canon hard case that fits a 1DXMKII too

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2014
Pretty sad. So little coming from Canon that Canonrumors is sharing a camera bag review! Come on Canon. No more soft lenses, patents and rumors. Get off your duff and give us Canon shooters cameras with class-leading technology. Sony's brand new gen2 eye-detect has totally leaped the field again and is giving it to its customers as a firmware update!

Upvote 0

larjon

CR Pro
Nov 4, 2016
Canon has since a long time soft cases available for the super telephoto lenses, called "Soft Lens Case". I got the Soft Lens Case M II for the EF 200-400mm f/4L from ebay back in 2014. Article "S.CASE-M2", 9390B002 for about $200. The case has been available in four sizes, S II, M II, L II and LL II for lenses like the EF 200mm f/2L to the EF 800mm f/5.6L.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Pretty sad. So little coming from Canon that Canonrumors is sharing a camera bag review!
I missed all the exciting Sony and Nikon announcements in the past few weeks, care to share them? Maybe if you did something other than complain constantly, you wouldn’t be so sad.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
It would be great if the savings passes to the consumer. The 600mm II's case is $600.00.
Clearly it’s not that expensive to produce, probably something like $20,

It's definitely not $600, but not as low as $20. My guess would be in the $40-60 range, based on the size of the parts and amount of material involved.
Also, low volume does not help on the cost side either.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
LOL Not sad Neuroant. Plenty of info is available. Consider starting with Tony Nothrup's recent review of Sony's new eye AF upgrade. Pretty amazing. BTW I own a Canon 600mm F4 lll. Great lens. The soft case is a .......soft case.
TN? Lol. He’s technically inept, I wouldn’t trust him to review the on/off switch.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
LOL Have you heard of Canon's DPAF. We all know that no single manufacturer can consistently have it all. Having a 600 doesn't guarantee wisdom in posted comments and in fact is quite irrelevant regarding eye AF or Tony or whatever - the thread is about cases for such lenses.

Post some shots with your 600 III - I'd like to see how it performs.:)

Jack

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
LOL Have you heard of Canon's DPAF. We all know that no single manufacturer can consistently have it all. Having a 600 doesn't guarantee wisdom in posted comments and in fact is quite irrelevant regarding eye AF or Tony or whatever - the thread is about cases for such lenses.

Post some shots with your 600 III - I'd like to see how it performs.:)

Jack
This is how it performs - Canon's latest news item: https://www.canon-europe.com/pro/st...hq_pro-en_a_1_readmore_M1&utm_id=0277-201901n

Upvote 0
It's definitely not $600, but not as low as $20. My guess would be in the $40-60 range, based on the size of the parts and amount of material involved.
Also, low volume does not help on the cost side either.

$599.95 at B&H retail for the 600mm.
It is speculation if it costs $20, $50 or $100 to manufacture.
Any way you look at it, it is money for something Neuro says he just stores it away in his attic. A waste regardless.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Upvote 0
$599.95 at B&H retail for the 600mm.
It is speculation if it costs $20, $50 or $100 to manufacture.

I never questioned the retail price, so why are you bringing it up?

As for the cost, it's only speculation if you don't know anything about production methods with the materials and make uneducated guesses. I do know a little.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I never questioned the retail price, so why are you bringing it up?

As for the cost, it's only speculation if you don't know anything about production methods with the materials and make uneducated guesses. I do know a little.

Exactly. The reason the price could be reasonably low is the peanuts paid to the workers. I have an upholstery machine and have sewn quite a lot and the low prices amaze me - if it were made in the US the price would be higher for sure. Now if it's a 100% mechanized process I can't even guess. We get so much for so little in general relative to import products, although the quality is sometimes quite poor.

Jack

Upvote 0