Search results

1. K

Canon EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS Update Information [CR2]

My apologies for the pedantry. I'm a fountain of [nearly] useless knowledge.
  2. K

The prize for most iterations goes to 28-80mm (8 total): 7 non-L lenses in both USM and non-USM varieties (I, I USM, II, II USM, III USM, IV USM, V USM - all f/3.5-5.6) 1 L lens (28-80mm f/2.8-4L USM) There are only 3 Canon 70-300mm lenses, but there are another 7 lenses that are 75-300mm.
  3. K

+1 I'll refrain from repeating what I posted over a year and a half ago. http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=16919.0 I like the size of the 70-300mm non-L (it fits nicely in my bag) and little else.
  4. K

NEW CAMERA - EOS 80D?

Exactly my thought. New Rebel with APS-C. It's great that they'll include a top LCD, but it's not the FF unicorn I'm sure everyone here would be overjoyed to hear announced.
  5. K

Buying from Lens Rentals/Lens Authority

I'll echo Random Orbits's comments. I bought an 85mm f/1.8 USM about 2 years ago, and was very happy with the mechanical and optical quality. The description was accurate and it arrived very quickly. I have heard they are also very good about honoring their 3-day evaluation period as well.
  6. K

Development Announcement of a New 800mm f/5.6L IS II [CR1]

Current 800mm f/5.6L Announced - Jan 2008 (http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/lenses/canon_800_5p6_is) Shipping - May 2008 ...but it has the OLD white Canon color.
  7. K

HSS with Einsteins win!

I was unaware of that. I guess I have misunderstood HSS all along. Thanks for the clarification.
  8. K

Aluminum vs. Carbon Fiber?

I've been considering a Roadtrip or Globetrotter by MeFoto, however, no one in my area carries them and I want to physically touch it and play with it before buying one. The only way I've found to buy them in online, and I think tripods are one of those 'feel' purchases. Would not matter who I...
  9. K

HSS with Einsteins win!

Longer flash duration during shutter travel is exactly what HSS is. There is not other way to do it since there is no point in time during which the entire shutter is exposed.
  10. K

Another Canon Medium Format Mention

Square format FF has been discussed on this forum more times than more would care to admit. A reflex mirror necessary to cover a 30.6mm x 30.6mm sensor would not be able to move in the flange distance allowed by Canon for EF mount. So a DSLR is out of the question, however a long flange...
  11. K

Canon EF 11-24 f/2.8L Coming [CR1]

Holy hyperfocal, Batman! You have won the day. Excellent reference.
  12. K

High Megapixel EOS on the Way as Mentioned by Canon

Since the 100M and 70M numbers everyone is quoting goes back to the original EOS 650 in 1987, don't you think the market research and customer habits have changed, and the 95/5% being quoted is accurate for today's market?
  13. K

High Megapixel EOS on the Way as Mentioned by Canon

Exactly what I was thinking. The diagonal angle of view (AOV) for the 14mm f/2.8 is 114° The AOV for the 17mm TS-E (unshifted) is 104° The AOV for the 17mm TS-E (fully shifted and merged) is 126° The AOV for the Sigma 12-24mm at 12mm is 122° A 14mm TS-E (fully shifted and merged) would be 135°...
  14. K

Goodbye Canon 5d mk III- I loved you, but need to move on!

Based on the OP's other posts on CR forum, he was disappointed that his 5D3 could not produce acceptable 40 x 30 prints. My question is: Does anyone believe the difference between 144 dpi (22MP @ 40" width) and 184 dpi (36MP @ 40" width) will actually please the OP? The difference is only...
  15. K

Goodbye Canon 5d mk III- I loved you, but need to move on!

I personally like the green skin tones (at least on the camera's LCD) of the D800. /sarcasm I too loath the controls of Nikons. The press-and-hold + dial rotation is uncomfortable and many changes require two hands. I prefer all the Canons I've used (300D, 350D, 400D, 450D, 10D, 20D, 30D, 5D)...
  16. K

Video Review: Canon EF-S 10-18 f/4.5-5.6 IS STM

I love DigitalRev, personally. They are the Top Gear (which I also love, the UK version) of camera reviews. Rediculous (sometimes offensive) comments, unscientific and ludicrous challenges and comedy above the small amount of consumer advice offered. I understand how some people would not...
  17. K

Review: Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS

That's what excited me most about this annoucement. While a 17-40mm won't have nearly as good image quality as the new 16-35 IS, it will certainly be a huge step up from my current film-era Tamron UWA. I plan to jump on a 17-40mm as soon as they sink into the $400 range. EDIT: Also Nikon...
  18. K

More EOS 7D Mark II Talk [CR1]

If true, the 7D Mark II's viewfinder will be the exact same size as the 5D Mark III: 5D3 - 1.00 / 1.00 x 0.71 = 0.71 7D2 - 1.00 / 1.60 x 1.15 = 0.71 Crop sensor fans would be elated.
  19. K

This thing's gotta go!

I'm glad someone else feels my pain. I've fixed 4 or 5 other Nikon lenses, but this thing just killed me, with it's double-screw front-extending macro mechanism. I've sought resources for repair manuals high and low with no success, not even Nikon's tech line could access the resource (let...
  20. K

This thing's gotta go!

Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM (metal mount) - no longer used since I fixed the 24-105mm f/4L Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM - needs optical adjustment after aperture ribbon cable replacement Nikon 35-70mm f/2.8 AF-D Macro - fully disassembled, I was able to fix what was causing the zoom and...