Canon EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS Update Information [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We were initially <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2015/02/new-50mm-70-300-coming-soon-cr2/" target="_blank">told about an update to the EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS at the same time</a> as the recently announced EF 50mm f/1.8 STM. At that time we assumed they’d be coming out together, but that turned out not to be true.</p>
<p class="p1">We’re told that the new EF 70-300 IS will have a new USM motor as well as “some feature that one of Canon’s competitors have announced recently”. What that “feature” is, we’re not sure. The source goes on to say that the lens, whenever it comes to market, is a very good upgrade to the current version.</p>
<p class="p1">The same source also confirms that the EF 35mm f/1.4L II will come in 2015 if all goes to plan.</p>
<p class="p1">More to come.</p>
<p class="p1">

Canon Rumors said:
We’re told that the new EF 70-300 IS will have a new USM motor as well as “some feature that one of Canon’s competitors have announced recently”. What that “feature” is, we’re not sure. The source goes on to say that the lens, whenever it comes to market, is a very good upgrade to the current version.

Any idea? I thought about DO. But while current 70-300 is cheap, DO version could be quite expensive.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
jasny said:
Any idea? I thought about DO. But while current 70-300 is cheap, DO version could be quite expensive.

Canon does have an EF 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 DO IS, which retails for about $1400USD.

Nikon recently released a lens with "Phase Fresnel", but that is similar in principle to Canon's DO design. There's always a chance something has been lost in translation and we're actually talking about the DO lens and not the standard lens, though the source has said "non DO".

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Good timing! I'm in the market for a telephoto or superzoom. Might sound silly to some, but I just simply don't want to own a big white lens. I love L-lens and the quality, but I hate the extremely conspicuous nature of the great whites. As if a huge cylindrical metal object aimed at your face isn't conspicuous enough. I really wish Canon would offer black versions of all their great whites. In the mean time, it will be nice if this is an improvement over the current 70-300 non-L. I'd like a bit more reach and some updated technology compared to my 80-200L / "magic drainpipe".

Upvote 0

DRR

Jul 2, 2013
jasny said:
Canon Rumors said:
We’re told that the new EF 70-300 IS will have a new USM motor as well as “some feature that one of Canon’s competitors have announced recently”. What that “feature” is, we’re not sure. The source goes on to say that the lens, whenever it comes to market, is a very good upgrade to the current version.

Center pinch lens cap ;D

Upvote 0
Ivan Muller said:
This was one of my worst performing Canon lenses ever! from 200-300 it was just awful! so about time to get rid of this rubbish....
+1

I'll refrain from repeating what I posted over a year and a half ago.
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=16919.0

I like the size of the 70-300mm non-L (it fits nicely in my bag) and little else.

Upvote 0
slclick said:
anon has had more iterations of the 70-300 than any other lens iirc. My wife almost bought me one, whew, glad I steered her away from that.

The prize for most iterations goes to 28-80mm (8 total):
7 non-L lenses in both USM and non-USM varieties (I, I USM, II, II USM, III USM, IV USM, V USM - all f/3.5-5.6)
1 L lens (28-80mm f/2.8-4L USM)

There are only 3 Canon 70-300mm lenses, but there are another 7 lenses that are 75-300mm.

Upvote 0
I used to have one of these and liked the images. Found it ok between 200-300 incidentally, but then I always used it supported or with a faster shutter.

I didn't like the build quality quite so much, the extending design in particular, which felt very flimsy.

I replaced it with a Sigma 50-500 which was far better constructed and had more reach (I got a bargain on a clearout of the last of the DG non-!S version) but it also now gone to make way for faster telezoom for video, at the expense of reach, the 70-200 f2.8.

I guess unless it is really tough, or has a brighter aperture (unlikely) I would probably augment my kit with the ultra cheap and decent for the money 55-250, or get a longer faster prime, maybe a 300 f4L or a sigma 300 f2.8?

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
KyleSTL said:
slclick said:
anon has had more iterations of the 70-300 than any other lens iirc. My wife almost bought me one, whew, glad I steered her away from that.

7 non-L lenses in both USM and non-USM varieties (I, I USM, II, II USM, III USM, IV USM, V USM - all f/3.5-5.6)

There are only 3 Canon 70-300mm lenses, but there are another 7 lenses that are 75-300mm.

There you go, caught me understating my length my 5mm.

Upvote 0
slclick said:
KyleSTL said:
slclick said:

There you go, caught me understating my length my 5mm.
My apologies for the pedantry. I'm a fountain of [nearly] useless knowledge.

Upvote 0