Goodbye Canon 5d mk III- I loved you, but need to move on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 8, 2013
Roo said:
Aglet said:
Orangutan said:
I'm not yet sure what Aglet's angle is:

here it's just dark humor in the form of satire.. for the sake of balance.
Hard to follow a good bit like unfocused's.

The op's original post was amusing and, ironically, unfocused's post was very focused and brilliantly witty while yours was unfocused and lacking any form of wit, subtle or otherwise. Sorry, but you come off as far too much like a try hard.

At least he kept on theme with making the camera (ab)users look like tramps.

Upvote 0

Quasimodo

Easily intrigued :)
Feb 5, 2012
Oslo, Norway
www.500px.com
unfocused said:
Dear "J,"

I suppose I should not be surprised that you chose to announce the end of our relationship in such a public and cowardly way. You were never one for subtlety and discretion.

And, so typical of you to blame all the failures on me. As though you contributed nothing to the breakup. But, then, I guess since you contributed so little to the relationship, I should not be surprised.

The truth is, I've known for a long time this wasn't working. If I could have ended things myself, I would have. But as you know, for me this was an arranged marriage. You picked me and I had no say in the matter. For the honor of my family (and honor is something my culture values very highly) I could not leave you.

At first, your clumsy attempts to satisfy me were amusing and not without a certain boyish charm. But, honestly, it quickly became apparent that you were never going to improve. In fact, I soon realized that you actually thought you were good. I know this is hurtful to say, but since you are the one that began this public conversation, I think honesty is justified.

Never once were you able to bring me to my full potential. No, let me be more candid, never, ever did I come remotely close to achieving the heights I was intended for. You would fiddle with my dials and move my joystick, but it was so mechanical and uninspired that I could hardly bear it. Honestly, most of the time I wished you would just stick to the green box and let me do it myself.

And the trips...well, what can I say? Sure, I enjoyed them, but it was as though you thought that simply going someplace new would solve all our problems. All it did was make me long for the relationships that I saw others enjoying. How I wished that could have been us. But you...all you ever did was worry about whether someone else had a newer, prettier model hanging on his shoulder.

You were so obsessed with showing me off that you didn't see how many of your fellow travelers lovingly treated their lowly Rebels with respect and appreciation and how they were rewarded in ways that you and I could never achieve together.

Yes, I saw the world. But, really, I would have traded it in a instant for a quiet little town in the Midwest, with someone who understood me and what I was meant to do.

Now, dear D810, believe me, I wish you no ill. In fact, I actually feel sorry for you. I know people say you are nothing more than an overinflated mass of silicon, but I know better. We are both from established families and, like me, you have not had any say in this relationship.

I would like to wish you a long and happy relationship, but I suspect that won't be the case. In the end, you will be blamed for everything. Just remember this. It is not you...it's him.

Hillarious :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
sagittariansrock said:
So either the girl knows she can pull down the highlights by that much on the D800E, or she doesn't have a clue. I am leaning towards the former...

I'd lean towards the latter. RAW highlight recovery is better with Canon sensors.

I will say that in helping a few Nikon users to AF Fine Tune their lenses, I've run across several (not newbies) that had difficulty accessing various settings, e.g. AF point selection.

Upvote 0
Aglet said:
Orangutan said:
I'm not yet sure what Aglet's angle is:

here it's just dark humor in the form of satire.. for the sake of balance.
Hard to follow a good bit like unfocused's.

I forget which comedian once said that it's not funny if no one understands it. I'm all for dark humor and satire, but yours needs work.

Upvote 0
Excellent reply unfocused!! It would be hard to believe u r not a woman LOL!
Truth be told, as far as skin tone (out of in-camera jpg) is concerned,
I have not seen a Nikon to be able to match my old 5D2 :)

When my friend with a D800E shoots models side by side with me, the models have
always preferred the 5D2 jpg on the back of the camera!

I think Canon definitely has a successful secret formula on in-camera jpg rendering.
To me, it is even more obvious in high ISO skin tone rendering.

However, I must admit that with proper RAW processing & skill, Nikon's skin tone can match
Canon but that is a lot of extra work. I would rather get it right in camera.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
sagittariansrock said:
So either the girl knows she can pull down the highlights by that much on the D800E, or she doesn't have a clue. I am leaning towards the former...

I'd lean towards the latter. RAW highlight recovery is better with Canon sensors.

I will say that in helping a few Nikon users to AF Fine Tune their lenses, I've run across several (not newbies) that had difficulty accessing various settings, e.g. AF point selection.

Ah, good to know. It looks quite different in the light of this information.
Personally, I was completely at a loss with the D800E's controls. The user interface of Nikon cameras is why I went with Canon in the first place. I don't find it intuitive.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
Jglaser757 said:
:'( Goodbye my dear 5d mk III . You were my first "real" love. You were so quick and comfortable in my hands. I loved the way you felt. When we were together, we were "one in the same". You were the peanut butter to my jelly. Simply amazing and skilled in every aspect. Your resolution, dynamic range and AF were as real as it got. I even loved your previous model almost as much. You were my "King of the World."

I have decided its time to move on. We just don't see eye to eye anymore. I need more!
Seriously :eek: ::) :eek: ::) ... when people feel compelled to post their unhealthy "love affairs", like this, about things, they are desperately in need of some human contact or need to see a shrink ... in this guy's/girl's case, he/she needs both. ;D

Upvote 0
PhotoCat said:
When my friend with a D800E shoots models side by side with me, the models have
always preferred the 5D2 jpg on the back of the camera!
I personally like the green skin tones (at least on the camera's LCD) of the D800. /sarcasm

sagittariansrock said:
The user interface of Nikon cameras is why I went with Canon in the first place. I don't find it intuitive.
I too loath the controls of Nikons. The press-and-hold + dial rotation is uncomfortable and many changes require two hands. I prefer all the Canons I've used (300D, 350D, 400D, 450D, 10D, 20D, 30D, 5D) over the Nikons (D70s, D80, D200, D300, D600).

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
sagittariansrock said:
Ah, good to know. It looks quite different in the light of this information.
Personally, I was completely at a loss with the D800E's controls. The user interface of Nikon cameras is why I went with Canon in the first place. I don't find it intuitive.

I should be embarrassed for saying this, but I chose Canon over Nikon because I got a good deal on an xs and a 75-300. I actually already owned a Nikon lens, a 55-200 maybe...

Yeah... I really didn't do my homework... and I was surprised that the xs didn't have video functionality... So I kinda lucked it falling into the Canon camp where I have been very happy.

Upvote 0
sagittariansrock said:
An anecdote, completely open to interpretation:
I was shooting the Statue of Liberty when a couple of girls came and asked me to take their photo in front of the statue. They handed me a D800E attached to a 24-70mm lens.
I found that the camera was in A mode, and the focus point selected was offset and to a corner. ...However, it was way too overexposed. So I asked them if they can turn the exp. comp. down, and one of the girls (presumably the one owning the camera) said it was ok, she will fix it afterwards.

Another way to look at it

It is possible that the lady put the camera in auto mode when she handed it to you, not knowing how much you know about cameras. If I were to hand my camera to a stranger (not likely), I would most likely put it on auto.

The focus point being in a corner, leads me to think that the multi-selector got bumped. That's easy to do, especially when handing the camera to someone else, unless it is locked.

She may has said she will fix it in post because she did not want to spend any time talking with you and wanted to get back to her friend. It was, after all, just a holiday snapshot with her friend.

She may have known a lot about her camera, she just did not know a lot about you. ;D

Upvote 0
Not only did u leave your loyal wife but u have also chosen to depart from your kind mom-in-law who
cooks for your every morning, washes & irons your clothes everyday and does all kinds of
house chores for u, without making any complaints.

Magic Lantern I mean!

I am sorry, from now on, u will have to do all kinds of house chores yourself, as your new love D800E
is an orphan and she doesn't know how to do even basic house chores like boiling water LOL!

Upvote 0
if the OP wants to complain that he can wants MORE mp, let him.
nikon has better DR and more MP.
you can't argue with that.

I'm a canon guy. But some people chase different features and specs. Others are more focused on what they do, and the gear they have.

the blind loyalists are pathetic.
who's wearing a read or blue tie.
who can't drink pepsi vs. coke.
subaru vs. nissan
bmw vs. audi
they are all good products, aside from the republicans ;P
cheers

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
KyleSTL said:
I personally like the green skin tones (at least on the camera's LCD) of the D800. /sarcasm

More than the hue, the live view implementation of the D800 completely killed any interest I had in it, one of my primary interests in the D810 is to see what they did in that area.
Nikon D800 Live View MF Issue followup

Upvote 0
ryebread said:
if the OP wants to complain that he can wants MORE mp, let him.
nikon has better DR and more MP.
you can't argue with that.

U r right! I praised the Canon for jpg skin tone but I failed to point out that my friend's
D800E model pics are consistently sharper than mine :( He could turn a full length shot
into a head and shoulder shot without any problems when blown up to 100% view on a 25 inch monitor!
Well, I just have to walk closer and do a real head and shoulder shot!

Upvote 0
Based on the OP's other posts on CR forum, he was disappointed that his 5D3 could not produce acceptable 40 x 30 prints. My question is:

Does anyone believe the difference between 144 dpi (22MP @ 40" width) and 184 dpi (36MP @ 40" width) will actually please the OP? The difference is only 28% increase in linear resolution.

How about 206 dpi (51MP @ 40" width) from the Pentax 645Z?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.