Pairing a R10 with my existing RP??

Jan 21, 2022
Already have a RP, plus M6ii, M5 and SL2. They all use the same battery LP-E17, needless to say I have plenty.
I currently only own the RF 16 & 50 but will be adding the new 28 pancake when it’s released.

The RP is fine, fits my needs and wants. I’d just sometimes like more reach, but don’t want bigger lenses. So considering a R10 for the crop factor with my existing RF lenses. I do have plenty of EF and EF-S lenses to adapt.

Yes, if I were rolling in money I’d grab both R5 and R7 but I just cannot justify the outlay and tbh I prefer the lighter and simpler body’s these days.

So my question is, in my shoes would you go for the R10 or should I bide my time and grab the newer R8 and if needs be use that in crop mode, much less resolution but vastly improved AF over my RP.

Advice…

Jan 21, 2022
What kind of shots are you taking, how are you displaying/sharing them (how much resolution do you need), and specifically do you want more "reach" for a specific reason?

An observation: the RF 85 f/2 isn't much bigger and would give you a similar FOV to the 50 on a crop sensor.
Thanks for replying
Tbh I honestly don’t know what I’ll be photographing !! Everything used to revolve around capturing my son - now approaching 16 the last thing he wants is dad aiming a camera at him!!
I miss taking pictures. I do like the M6ii but god I hate HATE the add on EVF !! God I hate it!!
My SL2 feels prehistoric now compared to either the RP or M6ii and I don’t like the SL2 tiny OVF either…yet love my EF-s lenses especially the STM holy trinity… Fabulous!!
My 6d is a absolute joy to use, love it, but the big lenses required for FF almost guarantees it’s permanently paired with the excellent but limiting 40mm pancake.

The RF 85?? For some reason I just cannot warm to it, it looks so cheap and nasty plus I read the AF is not fast at all. Most of the RF line up leaves me cold either slow, plasticky consumer tat or big heavy expensive L stuff that looks ridiculous on the small R bodies and I’d imagine makes them very front heavy.

I really did/do like the M system, canon SHOULD have released the M7 based on the M6ii with EVF built in!! I would never have looked elsewhere again.

I’m not convinced by the R line at all, but I’m so invested in canon it’s just the easiest way forward. However, now thinking about it, maybe I should seriously consider moving to a different brand??
Not Sony, ugly as sin and look so uncomfortable to hold/use… probably lean towards Fuji??

Canon have made the R system so expensive. Yet the consumer lens line up is just appalling but stupidly expensive at the same time.

Edit : I’ve just bought a used mint boxed 1 owner from new Lumix LX100. I think I’m going to take that and toss the M50/18-150 in the suitcase just in case.

As I say, now thinking about it, I realise canon is probably not the way forward for me. Had they not stopped the M line I would have been fiercely loyal. But the R stuff is crazy money especially if going for the R5/6/7 with quality optics whereas the cheaper (!!) R stuff is just a very very expensive compromise!! Basically expensive slow poorly built tat that canon hopes you’ll quickly tire from and move up!! Or in my case….probably move on!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Deepboy

Headshot photographer
Jun 28, 2017
Italy
R10 is a great camera TBH, just don't push her after 1600iso.

The "cheap" R lenses are actually pretty good, I have the 16, the 35 and the 85, all bought used.
The 16mm well, I paid 200€ used for a 16mm f2.8 so you can't ask the moon, it does it's job (for me, that almost never go under 35mm, usually 90% of my photography starts from 50mm upwards) of being the emergency lens for those 2 times per year where the wide side of the 24-70 is not going to cut it on fullframe (it saved me with group pictures in super small spaces at the last wedding), but can also be a walk-around light lens for the R10 when going hiking/vacation.
The 35 (paid 380€) is actually an amazing lens, i find very few distortions even with people (of course not for close up portraits), and it's bright enough at f1.8 (1:2 macro is nice but I'm not really using it that way). Great walk-around lens for FF, I could shoot an entire wedding just with it (I prefer the 50mm as my go-to-lens, but for a wedding with one lens, a 35mm is more flexible).
The 85 (paid 520€) has an amazing image quality, the IS is working good, the 1:2 macro feature is good for close portraits and details on FF, and it's damn perfect (1:1 macro) on R10 to photograph rings at weddings, and any other small stuff. Yes, AF is not super fast (but is damn precise), and tbh it hunts a little bit while shooting super backlit (meaning with the sun in the frame, behind the subject), and there's some slight flare and loss of contrast, but just in some selected difficult situations. However is still MUCH better then the old EF 85 1.8 that was 1/3rd stop brighter and has a marginal better AF, but lacked IS and had less IQ. With the 85 you basically buy two lens in one, the classic 85, but also a mini 100 L macro one stop brighter. So it's worth its price.
The "AF problem" on the 85 is given by the half macro feature; if it wasn't 1:2 macro then the focus throw would have been much less, and would have been faster. But if I have to choose between little slower with macro, or super fast without macro, I still would go with the half macro function, which I find more useful. If I want to shoot a portrait with a dream lens I'll use the Sigma ART 135 which is 10 times better and 10 times faster; but also 2 or 3 times bigger and heavier, so it's a matter of priorities.

Short answer? 16 is good for what you pay (no one else is giving you a 16mm AF lens that bright at that price) if you are not a heavy wide-angle shooter, the 35 is overall one of the best lenses I've tried in my life (and I use interchangeable lens cameras since 1999 in the film era) and it's worth its weight in gold, the 85 is not perfect with AF and flare (but only in harsh conditions), but IQ is L-like even wide open, IS is super effective and 1:2 macro a blessing, if you aren't an heavy macro shooter is like having a mini 100 L macro for free.

I agree that the RF - L lenses are way overpriced, and I'll never touch one of them in the short-to-medium term (maybe something used, but surely not before 5/8 years from now, I need the used price to REALLY drop to be able to afford them...the most probable candidate is the 70-200 f2.8 because my EF is the first from 1995, without IS, so while still optically stunning, is surely a very old design by today's standards), my actual EF - L and Sigma ART lenses has nothing to be ashamed compared to the RF counterparts.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2022
Thanks for the detailed reply
Like you I’ve picked up all my gear used too, my 16 came boxed with OG hood for £175! My RF50 again boxed with penny washer hood £125. I’ll pick up the 28 pancake and may now ( thanks to you Sir) look for a mint used RF 85.
Tonight I tried my Tamron SP 45VC (again mint boxed (£210!!) on my RP….WOW!!! Hand held interior shots at iso 100 1/8th @1.8 beautifully sharp. Why oh why can’t canon develop a IS 50mm 1.4 prime??

Today I decided to test different set ups
6D/40stm
SL2/24stm
M50/22stm
80D/15-85usm

The image quality of the tiny SL2/24stm really shocked me, I had to check as I thought I’d uploaded the SD card from the 6D/40stm by mistake. But the awful puny focus points in the tiny SL2 viewfinder were a PiTA!!
The 6D/40stm is amazing but it’s a heavy set up for just 40mm
M50/22stm was superb in shade or interiors, but terrible in bright sunlight, the EVF really struggles to give good feedback
The 80D/15-85usm literally blew me away.
That’s coming with me to Portugal along with (hopefully) the lumix LX100 that’s arriving tomorrow.

I also, just for sake of variety, I shoved my sigma EX 30mm 1.4 on my 1div, the 1div sensor loves that lens whilst my aps-c crops hate it. The files at 1.4 on the Idiv are beautiful, but the rig is so heavy.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Tonight I tried my Tamron SP 45VC (again mint boxed (£210!!) on my RP….WOW!!! Hand held interior shots at iso 100 1/8th @1.8 beautifully sharp. Why oh why can’t canon develop a IS 50mm 1.4 prime??
The Tamron 45 SP is a really very nice lens. It manages to be sharp yet have a soft bokeh and excellent “brieo” - openness of data. On the (Canon) dslrs AF beyond anything other than centre point and one shot could let you down badly, but when adapted to mirrorless its AF is flawless. Unfortunately I think there’s only you, me and a few others who ever bought one; Tamron had discontinued it some time ago due to lack of interest. It got panned in some reviews for having quite strong longitudinal CAs but I think this is a result of the lens design being based around a soft bokeh without bokeh bubbles.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2022
The 45 completely changed my assumption on third party manufacturers, I’m not proud to admit that I used to be a canon snob….it had to be canon or nothing!!! However in the past year I picked up the Sigma 1.4 triplet (16,30,56) for the ef-m, again all used boxed and damn mint plus massive saving over buying new. They were the turning point. I’d always wanted to try the 45 Tamron but prices were often out of my reach, I then landed on a absolute bargain. I just recently added the G2 70-200 2.8 Tamron, it came boxed with all original accessories and not a single blemish anywhere, the previous owner said he’d used it once and found it too big and heavy I got it for £350!! Best bargain ever. My third party lenses are now my most used. Their build quality makes a mockery of the latest slow RF consumer zooms put out by canon…just dreadful. Its the reason why I’m holding back to be honest. The R bodies are amazing but the “budget” zooms are grim…slow, plasticky and darn expensive too. The RF L stuff is the complete opposite, big heavy and crazy expensive…there’s no middle ground like was offered back in the EF days.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2022
I ended up buying a R50 which is very small but does everything I need. Its not a high ISO camera but generally just fine. I use a adapted EF-s 15-85mm lens which is of reasonable quality for a consumer lens and used ones are inexpensive.
Congratulations on your R50, however I think you are harsh on the 15-85mm usm
It is a amazing lens, FF equivalent to 24-135mm USM and IS with excellent close focus ability.

I tried mine on my lowly 80d last weekend, the images were brilliant, sharp, contrasty. But it’s a heavy lens on the 80d and certainly unbalanced on my SL2. I’m guessing it’s front heavy on your R50?

Upvote 0
Well as they say, all good things come to those who wait…

Browsing eBay last week, spotted the RF85mm f2 for £269!! At that price I didn’t even think, just hit the button!!

It arrived Monday, I fully expected there to be a reason for it being so cheap but having scrutinised it I cannot see any. It’s flawless. I added the JJC lens hood courtesy of Amazon (£15)
Hopefully weather permitting I’ll be out shooting this weekend.
The only reason it caught me eye (other than the price) was if I do get the R10 the 85 will give the same view as 135 on full frame.
135 f2 with IS does sound fun.

Actually I’d like to compare that set up with my EF135/2 on my RP

I imagine it will be close, very close.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0