Search results

1. B

Another Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L IS mention [CR2]

Perhaps he's an extreme climate change doomsayer. Polar ice caps are melting at a rapid rate. Best to futureproof your gear, etc.
  2. B

Upcoming Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 M IS STM Will Have Macro Illumination

Maybe the M stands for "mole". Canon released spurious information in order to identify a suspected leaker. I heard they now have this guy in a small cell and periodically beat him senseless with rubber mallets.
  3. B

Upcoming Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 M IS STM Will Have Macro Illumination

I guess any kind of effort Canon makes towards the (criminally neglected) EF-S mount is cause for encouragement. Excluding the pancake, the last EF-S prime was released ?12 years ago? Nevertheless, this was hardly the highest priority. I was hoping for 15mm f/2 or 22mm f/2. We could also use...
  4. B

New Kit Lens Coming With New Rebels [CR3]

Spot on. 1) weather-sealed update to the 17-55, going slightly wider (15-45). 2) 24mm equiv prime (EF-S 15mm) 3) 35mm equiv prime (EF-S 22mm) I object mind Canon continuing to refine the standard budget crop zoom, but when it takes place in the absence of any other activity it just seems...
  5. B

Canon EOS Rebel T7's are Next on the DSLR Schedule [CR2]

My first DSLR was the 550D. It was a nice intro to `real' photography. These days I no longer use it. But not because of MP or DR or lack of 4k, etc. What happens with the XXXD series still interests me because I'm interested in the camera market in general. But I'm not surprised that it...
  6. B

A Bit More About the EOS 6D Mark II [CR2]

What about a full-frame rebel? Am I the only one who wants to combine Canon's lovely lenses with a high quality FF sensor in a fairly basic body, without heaps of bells and whistles? I'm concerned that the 6D ii will be too feature packed and as a result abandon the `budget FF' niche it was...
  7. B

Sony A9 rumor: unlimited RAW buffer

AC adaptor and a few 10m extension cables - I'm good to go. And for wildlife, a portable generator. Hope it doesn't spook off the animals too bad.
  8. B

There's More to a Camera System Than Just the Gear

Canon gets s**tcanned relentlessly on these forums a lot of the time. There's no shortage of negativity. On a few counts it is justified but mostly not. However, nice to see here that so many people have positive things to say about the quality of Canon's service. The present thread actually...
  9. B

Canon MP-E 65mm - Due an upgrade?

This is the second thread recently about an MP-E mark ii and I'm quite surprised to see them. However, I'm also quite surprised to learn that it was released in 1999. Nikon have had 15 years to come up with a competitor and they haven't bothered. Realistically, most of the time the...
  10. B

Canon MP-E 65mm - Due an upgrade?

Most copies of this lens will be sharpest at about f/4, with f/5.6 only very slightly behind. However, copies do exist in which the lens is sharpest wide open. So, for maximum detail whilst focus stacking f/2.8 could be a rational aperture choice. I stack at f/4 most of the time. You're...
  11. B

Canon USA Introduces New Super-Telephoto Zoom Lens, The Compact & Highly Mobile Canon EF 100-400mm f

Re: Canon USA Introduces New Super-Telephoto Zoom Lens, The Compact & Highly Mobile Canon EF 100-400 Anybody remember this? http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=14703.90 Canon have now provided a high quality UWA zoom and a 100-400 refresh. Maybe they are listening to us...
  12. B

More Canon Lens Mentions [CR2]

You have about $65k of gear listed under your post. I should hope you would be well covered ... But, what the heck, why not aim for 100k ... ?
  13. B

Official: Canon EOS 7D Mark II

Very pleased to read on DPreview that the camera takes interchangeable focus screens. Makes it more appealing to me for use in macro work. Can see myself getting this camera. Looks like all the mini-1DX hype was not far off the mark actually. That shutter at 10fps sounds great.
  14. B

Nikon's Continual Stream of New Models - Good or Bad?

The way I see it, Canon and Nikon are responding in fundamentally different ways to the crisis that is impacting the camera industry in the form of the hegemony of camera-phones. Canon have basically turned their attention to cost cutting, by recycling components, not moving to new sensor tech...
  15. B

Nikon announced D750

Ouch!! Way to throw Molotovs on a Canon forum! :) Actually, I don't really agree, but it could certainly have an impact on new entrants to the FF market. The system-change-inducing camera was the Nikon D800/D800E (and, perhaps, the 5D mk iii, for all the disgruntled D700 owners put off by...
  16. B

Canon EOS 7D Mark II Specifications Confirmed

Re: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Specifications - Why Canon, Why? This is it? "Solid" but "way too safe". Excellent choice of words, you really nailed it. I would also have liked to see Canon be a bit more adventurous with this release. Throw in something surprising - 1.5 crop factor, 24MP (or...
  17. B

Are you planning to purchase a 7D2

Very much a maybe here. After a second or upgraded cam for macro, with occasional other applications, to go with my 70D. Like the focal length offered by my 100mm and other lenses on crop for my purposes. Looking for a bigger viewfinder and more rugged build (givens) but hopefully...
  18. B

A Rundown of EOS 7D Mark II Information

I expect this to be an excellent camera, but also, to look at it critically, a niche camera. For those needing high-grade AF, high FPS and shooting predominantly with longer lenses, it will be ideal. But the poor state of the EF-S lens line-up will inevitably limit its usefulness as a...
  19. B

A Rundown of EOS 7D Mark II Information

10 pages of comments in such a short space of time? The anticipation around this camera seems to be almost as great as that preceding the 5D mk iii release. I thought nobody gave a s**t about crop cameras anymore?
  20. B

POLL: 6d weather sealing experiences & warning

wonder how it compares with the D610.