Search results

1. Y

What are your best shots of 2017?

Chris Botti by Ron Yorgason, on Flickr Picnic in the Snow by Ron Yorgason, on Flickr Snowflake by Ron Yorgason, on Flickr Comfy Chair by Ron Yorgason, on Flickr Free Cookies by Ron Yorgason, on Flickr String of Pearls by Ron Yorgason, on Flickr
  2. Y

Google Pixel 2 Reviewed: Sets New Record for Overall Smartphone Camera Quality

Just got through looking at the pictures, and I'm pleased to say that my photography career is still safe. Those camera photos were all atrocious!
  3. Y

Canon Issues Service Advisory for EF 50mm f/1.4 With Focus Malfunction

My lens starts with 6230, and it may have had this problem. I don't use the lens much and mostly ignored it. Then it developed a grinding problem with focusing so I sent it in and I believe they replaced the AF motor. It's been fine since.
  4. Y

Post Your Best Landscapes

Here's a crazy shot of the fireflies in a field behind my house last night: Fireflies by Ron Yorgason, on Flickr
  5. Y

ICYMI: Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art Astro Sample Images

That's a good point. I couldn't even find the enlarged star patterns anywhere in the box, so who knows where those enlargements came from.
  6. Y

Put a phone in the 1dx3

It's already been done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIRBxRlsYR0
  7. Y

finally giving up on Lr...best alternative?

I was in the same boat. I built a top of the line workstation specifically tailored to handling Lightroom tasks, and it still bogged down and took forever to do some tasks at times. I had gone through all the optimization suggestions and tips, etc... to no avail. Finally an update a couple...
  8. Y

Canon FD 800mm f/5.6 SSC

800mm Landscape by Ron Yorgason, on Flickr I'm posting this not so much as an example of amazing photography, but to give some perspective at what shooting at 800mm is like. The house in this photo is about 2 miles away. The water tower on the right (which is where I focused the lens on) is...
  9. Y

Image stabilizer on or off when on a tripod?

Here's an example where I desperately wish I had turned it off. I was doing some longer exposures of Provo, UT valley during the blue hour. I made a fantastic panorama shot using the 70-200, and the photo looks just great! Utah Valley Panorama by Ron Yorgason, on Flickr At least, until you...
  10. Y

Concert Shots

Here's one more from the set that I really liked: Chris Botti 2 by Ron Yorgason, on Flickr
  11. Y

Concert Shots

I was invited to photograph a Chris Botti concert with Morgan James (of Postmodern Jukebox fame). Here are a few of my favorite shots: Chris Botti by Ron Yorgason, on Flickr Rafael Moras by Ron Yorgason, on Flickr Morgan James by Ron Yorgason, on Flickr Caroline Campbell by Ron Yorgason, on...
  12. Y

Zhongyi Mitakon 20mm f/2.0 4.5X Super Macro Lens

Thanks, I remember coming across that a few years ago, but now is a good time for a refresher.
  13. Y

We got some more snow today. I didn't find any traditional snowflakes, but this one looked pretty interesting: Crystals by Ron Yorgason, on Flickr
  14. Y

I was initially planning on using an external flash, but I couldn't find my transmitter at the moment and mounting it on top of my camera didn't do me much good. I ended up with a 1/2 second exposure and f/8 @ ISO 1250
  15. Y

The day I saw the news of this lens' availability on this site, I immediately ordered a copy of this macro lens. I've been chasing a decent snowflake photo for years, and I hadn't ever gotten one, and I hoped this lens would help me do it. Well, the stars finally aligned, and we had decent...
  16. Y

Adobe Updates Camera RAW and Lightroom CC

I get a small improvement for a little bit by closing and reopening LR. It lasts a little longer if I reboot, but for some reason I don't get my full performance back until I power it off and back on. I also get a decent improvement for a while when I tell LR to optimize the catalog. I'm...
  17. Y

Adobe Updates Camera RAW and Lightroom CC

I just want some performance improvements. I built a system custom designed for Lightroom performance, 64G RAM, Intel i6800k 6 core proc, SSD raid, & GeForce 1070 and still if I don't power cycle my computer regularly, moving sliders can take seconds to respond, imports take forever, and...
  18. Y

Review: Canon EOS M5: \

On a feature/price ratio, the M5 is probably very well placed. But I think more people here are just disappointed they didn't get the fancier features where it would've competed more against the X-T2 and A6500.
  19. Y

Review: Canon EOS M5: \

I'm glad the M5 is getting better. The earlier Ms didn't really interest me. I still won't get this one, I'll take a look when Canon comes out with a full frame camera that is hopefully around the same size as a 5D series. I just got an A7 II, which I'm really enjoying, but the cramped...
  20. Y

Canon FD 800mm f/5.6 SSC

I picked up this lens off of ebay the other week. I have an EdMika adapter coming for it soon, but so far I've been using it on my Sony A7II, and I've been having a blast with it! It's roughly a 40 year old lens, and has lots of purple & green fringing issues. But it's manageable and the the...