Search results

1. S

Advice for Better Output Quality (I want less Banding)

Hi Guys I decided to poke a hornet's nest and do a technical discussion on a controversial topic: https://youtu.be/TELIkxqocR0 In terms of video quality, my source footage was decent, but when I exported from adobe premiere the color banding was horrendous. Any advice on how to get a cleaner...
  2. S

80D Firmware Wishlist

My only complaint for the 80D is the lack of image review workflow customization options. From active shooting position on the 6D or 5D series all I need to do is hit the dedicated magnify button (on the 6D) or customized set button (on 5D series) with my right thumb and the camera immediately...
  3. S

Curiosity killed the question

Have you ever done something photographically, just because you had to know the answer to some impractical question? A while back I decided to see how the 8-15mm fisheye looks with a 2x teleconverter, just ... well... because I can :-[
  4. S

135mm f/2 L vs 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II USM

Over the past weekend I attended a fashion photography workshop which was hosted by Canon South Africa. I got to shoot with a 5Ds, a DSLR I am seriously considering buying depending on how the 5D-IV will be spec'ed. I found this a good opportunity to put a few lenses under the cosh. My primary...
  5. S

Are you left-handed or right-handed...?

I'm just curious...
  6. S

Hints tips and advice for buying a 2nd hand Big white

Hi all, I've found a 2nd hand 200mm f/2 at a very reasonable price. Haven't met up with the seller yet but would like some general advice. I'm interested in using the lens for photographing ice skating in poor lighting conditions. (e.g. f/2 at 1/800s, ISO 3200) Do these super teles need any...
  7. S

Forum UI changes

Could you please change the Canon Rumors watermark which is being added behind quoted text. It is very distracting and makes the quoted text borderline unreadable. Attached is what it look like on my screen. (running Chrome) I've also added another another image where I compare current 100...
  8. S

Top LCD panel: What is it good for?

Just want to open up a general discussion on the perks and frustrations of top-LCD panels. for example: When do you find them useful? Would you prefer it tilted more in order to improve visibility from the back of the camera? Assuming you could customize it, what info would you want to...
  9. S

TDP retests TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II on 5Ds R

The TS-E 24L II holds up remarkably well under 50MP. The following link compare the TS-E 24L and the legendary 300/2.8L II, both lenses attached via 1.4xTC. The 300 is noticeably sharper in the centre of frame but the 24L shows it's strength in the corners of the 1.4xTC image (equivalent to...
  10. S

New DPAF CMOS patent: Canon EOS 80D?

Toward the end of last month a new Dual-Pixel AF patent was published. Image Sensor and Image Capture Apparatus - US 9,165,964 B2 - published Oct. 20, 2015...
  11. S

T-Stop, F-Stop and Vignette

I've been evaluating my new copy of the Tamron 35mm f/1.8 VC and one of the points of differentiation from other lenses in it's class is the peripheral falloff performance. The Tamron promises very even illumination across the image frame. I decided to compare it to a lens which I know to have...
  12. S

5D Mark-III power issues

I recently encountered an issue with my 5D-III refusing to power on. I swapped batteries and still not able to power on. I was shooting wildlife outdoors (stills) and thought that perhaps the camera could have overheated. In the past I had noticed sometimes my batteries died overnight in the...
  13. S

ND filters for Daytime Flash Photography

I've got Marumi VND (ND2-ND400) filters and I find them so atrocious I hardly use them anymore. If shooting video they are ok, as 1080p is only 2MP, but for high-res stills it murders detail and the yellow-green cast is quite bad. I'm actually thinking of getting a straight ND8 or ND16 for...
  14. S

My First Wedding (highlights)

I was stressed out by the challenge of shooting my first wedding. To add to the stress I had no lighting assistant due to unforeseeable circumstances and the weather was changing minute by minute so working outdoors had me extra paranoid. Fortunately I had prepared very well and formed a great...
  15. S

TheDigitalPicture.com: 5Ds vs 5Ds-R crops posted

The guys at TDP have posted resolution-chart crops of one of the sharpest lenses available, the Canon EF 200mm f/2 L USM lens, tested on both the Canon EOS 5ds and 5Ds-R. You can take a look by following the link...
  16. S

Flash: Please explain ETTL-II Metering

Can anyone please provide links or a comprehensive explanation of the difference between Average and Evaluative ETTL-II metering: On the 5D-III you can access the settings via the following menu structure follows: MENU > SHOOT1 > External Speedlight control > ETTL-II Meter. > Evaluative MENU >...
  17. S

Which eye do you use?

Do you know what your dominant eye is? Do you use your dominant eye when composing through the viewfinder or do you force yourself to use your non-dominant eye in order to try to stimulate the other half of your brain?
  18. S

7D Mark-II: Could video capabilities be unlocked through firmware updgrades

The 7D-II video capabilities are getting bashed at the moment and rightly so when one considers what is available in other recent camera releases. I have to wonder though, surely the technology in the camera is capable of so much more. Considering that the 1D-C can shoot 4K with dual-DiG!C-5...
  19. S

Any advice on shooting dragonflies

Dragonflies are probably the insects that intrigue me most. I'd love to get better shots of these incredible insects. Do any of you guys like to share some advice on techniques, strategies, equipment or other prep work that helps improve your results.
  20. S

6D Mark-II in response to the D750

Will the 6D Mark-II be a response to the D750 much like the 6D was a response to the D600. As the 6D is Canon's budget FF camera it is possibly due for an update. By giving it a 70D form factor it would provide even more differentiation from the 5D line from an ergonomics perspective. What would...