Which eye do you use?

When looking through the viewfinder, which eye do you prefer to use?

• Total voters
May 31, 2011
I think I opt for comfort... using the left eye... Because the right is blocked by the camera so I can ignore the information coming from that eye without shutting it tight.

Also, I had lasic a few years ago and I have 20/20 in both, but the left eye looks long while the right hands back and focuses on the near field. It is messed up, but I've always been able to split my vision as needed. I'm really good at those stupid 3d posters.

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
mackguyver said:
Left eye dominant, right handed, but I shoot a rifle with my left and a handgun with my right, so I'm semi-ambidextrous. I typically use my left eye in the VF, but feel pretty comfortable with my right as well.
I am also somewhat ambidextrous. I used to draw and write with both hands as a kid and I played various sports either left/right-handed/footed. Unfortunately back in the day most kids (myself included) were trained out of being a lefty.

I'm right eye dominant at present but actively compose through the viewfinder with my left eye. I've heard that it generates more whole-brain-activity which is good for both creativity and problem solving.

Upvote 0

jhpeterson

CR Pro
Feb 7, 2011
I'm very dominant in my left eye, so I always use that to see the image in the viewfinder. In the days when most all 35mm cameras had to be manually advanced, I'd have to momentarily pull the camera away from my face to wind to the next frame or I'd risk poking myself in the face.
Because the image is weaker and not in exact alignment with the left, I don't see things in 3D. On the other hand, my right eye has the advantage in that it seems to focus closer, perfect when I'm shooting for reading what's on the LCDs.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
StudentOfLight said:
Do you use your dominant eye when composing through the viewfinder or do you force yourself to use your non-dominant eye in order to try to stimulate the other half of your brain?

Sorry, but that's not how it works. The left side of visual space is represented on the right side of the brain (and vice versa), so each eye projects to both hemispheres of the brain.

Upvote 0

eli452

When you have to shoot shoot don't talk
Sep 4, 2013
Israel
I am right-handed & right eye dominant. But I use the right eye for another reason altogether. When shooting I use the controls on the camera's right side, so I do not want my nose to interfere. Also keeping my left eye open I can watch the space between me and the subject for people passing by etc.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
I've tried, with mixed results... sometimes it works really well and I can find my subject without issue, then there are times where I'm totally lost and take no shots.

CaptainZero said:
Right eye. And if I'm shooting sports, sometimes I'll leave the left one open to watch the play at the same time. Kind of like a shotgun.

Upvote 0

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
::1
I've attempted to look through the viewfinder with my left eye, but it just doesn't feel right for me. However, I've tried to increase the amount of looking with both eyes - right eye in viewfinder, and lefty to find flying birds. It's rather hard to have a wide angle view with the left eye and line it up with what the 400mm projects to the right one.

Upvote 0