Which eye do you use?

When looking through the viewfinder, which eye do you prefer to use?

• Total voters
As a result of a pronounced strabismus that has become progressively worse since my mid 20's my brain has learned to suppress most of the input from my left eye and I now require a strong magnifying lens in my glasses to make any use of that eye at all. Despite this, when using my DSLRs almost invariably I hold the camera to my left eye.

Upvote 0

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
neuroanatomist said:
surapon said:
And All friends who do not want to clean the greasy LCD screen like me--0-I just use Canon Eyepiece Extender EP-EX15 = Less Than $ 20 US Dollars to add on between camera and original eyepiece n= BINGO , + I can see super clear Viewfinder, because of extra lens in the Eyepiece Extender.

Just be aware that the trade off for not having to clean your LCD as often is a 30% reduction in viewfinder magnification.

Thank you, Sir, Dear great Teacher, Mr. neuroanatomist
Yes, Yes, Yes.
Surapon

Upvote 0
surapon said:
neuroanatomist said:
surapon said:
And All friends who do not want to clean the greasy LCD screen like me--0-I just use Canon Eyepiece Extender EP-EX15 = Less Than $ 20 US Dollars to add on between camera and original eyepiece n= BINGO , + I can see super clear Viewfinder, because of extra lens in the Eyepiece Extender.
Just be aware that the trade off for not having to clean your LCD as often is a 30% reduction in viewfinder magnification.

The teacher is correct - after the ep-ex15 being mentioned I got interested in it, but after some research it doesn't seem it's "worth it" at least to me as customer reviews the "subjective" reduction in vf size is even larger than 30%.

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
Marsu42 said:
surapon said:
neuroanatomist said:
surapon said:

The teacher is correct - after the ep-ex15 being mentioned I got interested in it, but after some research it doesn't seem it's "worth it" at least to me as customer reviews the "subjective" reduction in vf size is even larger than 30%.
I also thought about the eyepiece extender for my lower end bodies after having the 1Ds-III but as I primarily do portrait work for pay I thought it best to stick with as much magnification as I could get. I like using the 35L and 135L for my paid work. I find it handy being able to see (more easily) fine details like stray hairs and crooked clothing/accessories that need to be fixed before firing off a shot. This is especially the case with the 35mm where details might appear a bit smaller in the viewfinder.

Upvote 0
candyman said:
CaptainZero said:
Right eye. And if I'm shooting sports, sometimes I'll leave the left one open to watch the play at the same time. Kind of like a shotgun.

Funny...at first I thought I was weird for doing that but it seems common ;D
Right eye, right handed

Using an almost same technique but it's my left eye that I'm shooting with, the right eye to partially watch the play/event. I'm not a sport shooter but this technique is also quite good for events.

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
So this is crazy. Earlier, I voted and explained that I use my left eye. I can prove this by the smudge on my glasses that I'll get from my eyelash touching the inside of the ocular lens on a hot day.

But, this past weekend, I was at my Grandson's birthday party shooting away (70-200 f/2.8 ii and 24-70 f/2.8 ii with a 430 ex on my 5Diii) and suddenly realized that I was using either eye and, in fact, began to use the right eye more than the left. I tried to think back as to when I unconsciously switched and could not come up with an answer.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
Sorry to dig up an older post, but I was intrigued by the number of people shooting left eye to viewfinder, so I tried it, spent the next few seconds cursing and cleaning off the skin oil on my glasses lens from my right thumb knuckle used for BBF! It seems so contrary to the ergonomics of the camera for me to do it this way, also it would prevent the unused eye from looking past the camera to acquire a target, bird or plane in my case, I find it much easier to bring the camera to bear on a target using both eyes.
Im fairly ambidextrous through practice, but predominantly right handed and I use my right eye though I may be left eye dominant, but I had trouble getting a result with the pencil and a light stand! Might have been too far away from the stand!
Very interesting thread.

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0
I am mostly right handed (except for holding a hockey stick, where I'm left).

I do not have a dominant eye. Last time I had an eye exam the Dr became very confused during a test where he put a blinder in front of one eye at a time, having me focus the uncovered eye on a target. My focus did not change when he removed the blinder, no matter which side. After running the test a couple times and looking confused, I interrupted him and explained that since childhood I could do the "camera 1 / camera 2" focus switch at will, without needing to cover one eye. He claimed to have never heard of this super power.

To that end, I use either (or both) eyes when shooting a gun, but when shooting photos I use my left eye simply because having more of my face touching the camera stabilizes it.

Upvote 0