Search results

1. R

Review: Canon EOS R by TDP

I'm not going to weigh in on this or that reviewer. All of them have a problem adapting to a world where the dynamic range - resolution race is stagnant. The easily measured stuff is played out. Maybe rolling shutter can be measured, but people just say "I think it's bad, or ok. Video...
  2. R

The upcomming Dead of EOS DSLR / EF-line

There is a significant contingent which is unhappy with Canon's innovation, I'm not a member of that group. I think Canon's behaviour in lens mounts is evidence for their well considered long range strategy for technical innovation. Autofocus was being developed and they saw the limitations of...
  3. R

Here are the full Canon EOS R specifications

In defense of ibis, a lens IS system cannot correct for rotational vibration. In defense of Canon, everything plus the kitchen sink spec lists are expensive. I also think ibis makes extraction of sensor heat more challenging (either detach from a heat sink, or increase the power of the five...
  4. R

Kickstarter: Pinhole Pro S | World's Widest Professional Pinhole Lens

Make fun all you want, but a pinhole lens has unique capabilities. When the Dr. No opening title sequence needed to show James Bond framed by the inside of a pistol barrel, a pinhole lens' infinite depth of field allowed for a clear image of the rifling. It worked a treat.
  5. R

The Canon EOS 7D Mark III : a test for Canon

You, me, each of us is just one pixel in the image of the photography market. No matter how many other pixels you talk to, you will never see the big picture. No matter how much you try to think it out you will never see the big picture. Canon responds to their image of the photography...
  6. R

Canon EOS 6D Mark II Dynamic Range Talk & Sample Images

Re: Canon EOS 6D Mark II Dynamic Range Talk & Sample Images But, it seems that it does take some maturity to understand that what one wants (some say "needs") has nothing to do with what one can afford. And, by the way, manufacturers also have to watch the budget. Price point = feature set...
  7. R

Why No EF Mount Third-Party Bodies

I think there are far more real barriers to entry in digital bodies than in lenses. Sensor fab is a multi billion dollar barrier. Sony might sell you theirs. ADC and all of the other processors could be fabricated by another party, but designing them is no trivial task. When you try to compete...
  8. R

The forum has to be redone, What needs to stay?

Please discourage quoting a quote of a quote, and other means of using tons of space to say nothing.
  9. R

What happens to Big Whites when Mirrorless Takes Over?

Compare the world's full frame capable lens mount standards. EF is frequently rated as the best. Compare the volume of existing lenses in full frame capable lens mounts. EF is the biggest. Why should an extinction of dslr's do anything to the continued sale of EF lenses?
  10. R

canon-300mm f1.8, Exotic or what

The slit in slit scan photography is an aperture. I'm not an expert on the optics, but it seems the f1.8 is needed to use most of the light that makes it through the slit, not to create a pleasing bokeh.
  11. R

Frustrated with filters and step down rings.

I don't recommend lubricating the threads, because you can't guarantee that gunk will stay in place (sensor contamination is a real risk). There is a theoretical market opportunity for a permanent surface treatment on this stuff. That assumes galling is the problem, not a bit of distortion...
  12. R

Which Budget EF Prime?

Why are you looking for better than f2? If it is for low light, that DXII vs your 5DII makes up the difference in high ISO performance. If it is for dof and bokeh, OK. I think you should get a new 50 1.8 and treat it like the semi-disposable thing it is. When you've mistreated it to the point...
  13. R

The Next Lens from Canon & NAB Announcements

50mm has 1.8, 1.4, and 1.2. Why not 85? It would be an immense service to certain numerological OCD types. If they are a bit too lettered, that 1.4L would be a rift in the perfection, though.
  14. R

Canon Working on New Lens Technology

Zero information equals infinite speculation.
  15. R

Crop Factor Change for 4K on Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Included in Coming Update & More

The new source could have heard "If we were to add x,y,z then we would have to get the cameras back to replace the heat sink." Then maybe the new source passed that along as "Canon will". If someone wants to explore the feasibility, tear apart a IV. Check those heat sinks. If they have...
  16. R

Cambo Lens Adapter for Fuji GFX50s and Canon EF Lenses

There are images online showing GFX images taken with adapted Nikon mount lenses, like a 105 and an Otus. There is obvious vignetting in the corners, but no worse than some heavy handed editing. Should Canon be that much different? There are also a large number of adaptors for the obvious...
  17. R

Three Canon Lens Masters Pick Their Favourite Lenses

Private: To join in the war of precision, a circular object viewed at an angle appears elliptical within the system of our eyes & brain. Only if we accept that system as a source of fundamental truth do the circles "become" anything other than circles.
  18. R

Cameras must be put in checked luggage on international flights

This did not originate with Trump. How do I know? It is the opposite of yoooog. This is not evidence of Islamophobia. Petty inconvenience is not the primary weapon of hatred. If you were flying from one of these places, checking your precious wouldn't kill you. I am no big fan of the TSA...
  19. R

Infographic: Camera Industry Sales Facts for 2016

Beginning of time, nobody had a camera. Photography gets invented, serious entrepreneurs, artists (not accepted as such), and serious enthusiasts get cameras. Very low market penetration. Kodak introduces the brownie. Enthusiasts show up in sizeable numbers. Eastman gets rich. Film stock...
  20. R

Looking for an Camo tent for birding

I don't think camouflage is needed. Some animals will be concerned about anything new (if you don't leave it in place for many days), but the color won't make it better or worse. Most animals won't care, it isn't moving and it isn't the shape of something dangerous. Dark inside is very...