Search results

1. P

5D mkIV Live View Touch AF not working

Anyone know why the live view touch AF doesn’t work when I have my camera set up as back button AF only? I normally disable AF on the shutter button. When I switch AF back to the shutter, the touch AF works again. This is kinda annoying!
  2. P

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM

I recently sold my 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II lens, as I'm on a mission to reduce my gear to what I really use / need. I just don't shoot in the tele focal range enough. But then I decided I wanted something cheap and small for the rare times I do need it, so I bought this lens for $133(USD)! This...
  3. P

Sigma 50-100mm F1.8 DC HSM

Just got this lens to pair with my Sigma 18-35 and 7Dii kit. Time to start a new lens thread! Beach Lex by Philip DiResta, on Flickr Little Hands by Philip DiResta, on Flickr Dancing Violet by Philip DiResta, on Flickr
  4. P

Canon 24mm EF-s Pancake: weather sealed "tank version" by Global Dynamics United

Wow this is cool! Nice looking design and not crazy expensive. http://globaldynamicsunited.com/
  5. P

Speedlite 430EX III-RT vs ST-E3-RT

Now that the new mid priced Speedlite RT is out, and it looks to have master functions, what value does the ST-E3-RT have? (Besides size) They are basically the same price here in U.S. I had been contemplating getting the ST-E3-RT, but now think I'd rather just have the 430 as a smaller on...
  6. P

Low Key Portraits- share your low key photos here

I love the simplicity of one light / low-key portrait photography. Here are few shots I took of my wife last weekend. One light, no backdrop (my walls are grey). I think the style works nicely with maternity shots as it brings focus to the belly, and helps the self conscious wife feel good to...
  7. P

Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM

I picked up this lens for my 7D to play around with since I rarely shoot this wide. More to come. Violet On Trampoline by Philip DiResta, on Flickr
  8. P

Calumet NYC store closeout!

Hey anyone in NYC area should pop into Calumet as their closeout discounts are now 50-80% off. Most of the big things are gone (cameras and lenses), but they still have tons of bags, accessories, Bowens studio lights & mods, Calumet brand light stands, umbrellas, lens filters and other light mods.
  9. P

What is this bird?

This bird has been hanging out in the trees across the street from my house (In New York), can anyone tell me what it is? I've never photographed birds before, but this guy is pretty cool (especially when soaring around), and is making me want to go out any get a longer lens! Today I saw him...
  10. P

Best Nikon DF Review! By Fstoppers.

If you want a good laugh. Fstoppers Nikon DF Digital Camera Hipster Review
  11. P

What did y'all get for Christmas/ the holidays?

Hey all, So what did you guys get for the holidays? My wife got me a weekend intensive with Peter Hurley in his studio. Should be pretty bonkers.
  12. P

Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM

I just got this lens cause I wanted to give my 7D some love... Violet by Philip DiResta, on Flickr
  13. P

The best kept secret/ deal in mirrorless cameras...

Is the Pentax K-01. And I'm not even joking. I just recently picked one up because the prices are crazy low. <300$ USD low. But they are now discontinued, so fading into oblivion. Why? • Price is nice • This camera is actually WAY more attractive in person (purchased the white model) • Build...
  14. P

Is it bad to keep photography gear in a basement?

Hi all, So I am about to move out of my condo in NYC to a house, gulp. The good news is I will have a TON more space! Included in this space is a completely finished basement. I'm trying to decide if I should set up my home office/ studio down there. Not sure if it is a good idea to have...
  15. P

Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 lens price announced!!!

And it's 799! (USD). That's a pretty sweet price if the lens is as good as the hype. I'm definitely interested now.
  16. P

85mm f/1.2L II soft touch.

So I just picked up this lens. Um, it is sick. My point of posting is to just bring up an aspect of the lens' design. The underside of the lens has like a soft-touch coating on it. I was just surprised when I first held it because no other Canon lens I have ever used had this finish. And I have...
  17. P

Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "in-store" deal

Hey all, I just wanted to pass on a deal I came across yesterday. I was in Adorama yesterday to test out the new Sigma 35. I decided to buy it. I was prepared to pay the 899 when the store rep said there is actually an "in-store" price of 849! So I chose to pay that price instead :) Just...
  18. P

Toymaster War Journalist (with Canon gear). Aka: the coolest action figure ever!

Since I'm a toy designer during the day, I may need to have this... http://www.petapixel.com/2013/02/06/war-journalist-a-16-scale-action-figure-of-a-conflict-photographer/
  19. P

TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Tilt-Shift for product photography?

Hey all, So I do a lot of small product photography, mostly with a 100mm f/2.8 macro on a 7D and a 5D mkII. My goal is always to get the largest image in the frame, with the MOST depth of field- I know, this is probably the first thread where someone actually wants more DOF! Lots of bokeh...
  20. P

Happy Holidays Photos!

As the Christmas/ Hanukkah / New Years holidays are upon us, I thought I'd start a thread for posting your holiday pics! I hope everyone has a healthy & happy holiday and new year! Gingerbread Girl by Philip DiResta, on Flickr