Search results

1. RustyTheGeek

Filming Rockets and Rocket Flight

Discovered this fascinating YouTube video of the evolution of Rocket Photography/Filmography. It's truly amazing how great the results have been over the decades, even during in the Apollo program. Since CR doesn't seem to have any categories of Science, Industrial, Space or Aviation related...
  2. RustyTheGeek

Updated 24-105 f/4L IS - II ... WHEN??? or WHY NOT???

Gonna throw this out there and see what happens... I love the quality of my 24-70 f/2.8L - II. I really love the quality of my 70-200 f/2.8L IS - II !! But honestly, my first love (and first L lens way back) was the 24-105 f/4L IS. And I still use that lens all the time. It's a very...
  3. RustyTheGeek

Canon 24-70 f/2.8 II Lens Hood Falls Off?

I've owned the ever popular 24-105 f/4L IS Lens since early 2010. It has seen it all. (Literally! LOL.) After 6 years of good service, it still works like new. No creep, etc. The 24-105 Lens Hood (Bayonet style), if anything, is TIGHTER than when it was new. That hood has endured a lot of...
  4. RustyTheGeek

Watch a 4-year-old drive a dump truck by remote control

OK, it's been a while since I had this much fun watching a 2 minute video. This should really make your day! This link briefly explains it and then scroll down to the YouTube video. http://www.engadget.com/2015/12/04/4-year-old-remote-drive-dump-truck/ Lots of overhead drone video, GoPro...
  5. RustyTheGeek

Need NIKON Teleconverter help please...

Hi everyone, Anyone with Nikon teleconverter experience please give me some advice so I can be the expert for a buddy. His wife and daughter share using a Nikon D5100 with two kit lenses, 18-55 and 55-200. The daughter wants to shoot the moon (no pun intended) better than she can with just...
  6. RustyTheGeek

Very Cool - Making the Solar System

OK, I thought this was fun and interesting. There are two videos, one is about our solar system TO SCALE. The other is how they made the video. Enjoy! https://vimeo.com/139407849 https://vimeo.com/139455885
  7. RustyTheGeek

Drone catches man sunbathing on top of wind turbine

If you watch the video I think you'll agree that it was pretty well made. Nice area and landscape in background, smooth movement, etc. And it's a bit funny. http://www.wcvb.com/news/drone-catches-man-sunbathing-on-top-of-wind-turbine/34968788
  8. RustyTheGeek

"The Salt of the Earth" Movie about Sebastião Salgado

Just saw the trailer for this movie on Rotten Tomatoes. Wow! This looks like a great time watching the story of some of this phenomenal photography. (And I bet DR doesn't come up once! LOL!) It's a quick trailer and I challenge you to watch it and not be moved by some of the photographs...
  9. RustyTheGeek

Charlize Theron in a Vogue beach shoot... nice.

I ran across this short Vogue video that captures a beach photo shoot of Charlize Theron. Very nice. And a couple shots of the photographer's camera that seems to indicate his preference for L primes. But really I just enjoyed seeing some nice footage of the lovely Charlize looking very nice...
  10. RustyTheGeek

How about Barista portraits?

OK, I met a very nice, sweet and attractive Starbucks barista that had a beautiful face a couple days ago when I got some coffee. I was so captivated that I mentioned it to her and she thanked me. Later I got to thinking that I would love to get some portraits of her. I don't do portraits...
  11. RustyTheGeek

Faster Culling/Sorting/Viewing, etc.

I must wade through 1000's of images a year. While I am an amateur, I seem to work at photography more than some pros. (At least in volume and time spent, I never charge anything.) Since 2009 I have over 25K images on my zenfolio site. Consider that number is only a net percentage of all the...
  12. RustyTheGeek

Discounts - Educational or otherwise...

Bit of a rant coming... I figure some here might agree with me while others will probably just say I'm a whiny baby entitled jerk. But keep in mind that this is more about the concept of promotions and discounts, not whether or not I succeeded in getting a discount in this case. It's the...
  13. RustyTheGeek

Dell UltraSharp U2410 24" LCD - $179

I have been using this monitor for years. Great unit. IPS display, built like a tank. Tons of inputs. I've purchased several of them since they have been available for around $200 used. It would make a great setup, esp if you wanted to have two of them...
  14. RustyTheGeek

"Ken's Reviews" thread (below) locked??

I'm not trying to be disrespectful to the mods but... huh? I read the opening post to the thread below mentioning Ken Rockwell's review of Canon. Where did it go wrong? It just says he loves Canon a lot now and not Nikon as much as he used to. Or is the mere mention of "Ken Rockwell" so...
  15. RustyTheGeek

Nevada Wier in India...

I have admired this photographer ever since I discovered her in 2009 after I got back into photography. She is super human and has been all over the world for over 30 years. She loves to teach when she isn't travelling which is most of the time. She never stops. Here is a great image of her...
  16. RustyTheGeek

WTF Images - Funny Head Scratchers for Sure!

Wasn't sure where to post this, portraits was as close as I could guess. Perhaps we need a "Misc", "Just for Laughs" or "Everything Else" section? Anyway, these won't take long to look at and they're interesting to say the least! Yes, Office Friendly...
  17. RustyTheGeek

CR Admins: New Ad Block on CR Home Page needs to be REMOVED!

EDIT: I discovered that my AdBlocker was the reason. With it enabled, I see the Discussion List on top like I prefer. I disabled it temporarily and forgot so the AdBlock appeared on the top instead. Yuck. But I guess it's been that way for a while. Too bad. :( Yesterday, a large...
  18. RustyTheGeek

NatGeo 2014 Photo Contest Winners...

Some of these are stunning. The winner is great but I think my favorite is the Shinagawa Station. Enjoy... http://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2014/12/winners-of-the-2014-national-geographic-photo-contest/100875/
  19. RustyTheGeek

Watch Airbus Risk $1.5 Billion in a Wild Airplane Stunt

This is pretty cool, esp for you aviation buffs out there. AFAIK, we have several pilots on this forum. Enjoy! http://cameras.reviewed.com/news/watch-airbus-risk-15-billion-in-a-wild-airplane-stunt?utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=USAT%20Recirc
  20. RustyTheGeek

Suggest Ideal Speedlite Accessory Kit for 600EX-RT units etc.

OK, a while back I was unfortunate enough to find a new 600EX-RT for about $330. As everyone knows, if you find a killer deal on something like the 600EX-RT, all it is going to do is make you start looking for a few more. :( And lo and behold, I was again plagued with another good deal last...