1DX Mark II dead at 200k

kaptainkatsu

1DX Mark II
Sep 29, 2015
Well it finally happened and far earlier than expected. The mirror failed on my 1DX Mark II with 202k shutter clicks (rated for 400k).

The mirror is totally out of alignment and thus not sending the image to the AF sensors. I can still shoot in MF.

Hopefully CPS can turn this around quick as I’m heading to Denmark for the Cyclocross World Championships at the end of the month. F35C02D9-3F0D-44CE-BD85-BAE4BF1E828C.jpeg

Mar 26, 2014
Reliability is a matter of statistics - some fail early, some fail late.

I bought a new computer with an Intel processor that couldn't complete Windows installation, and a SanDisk thumb drive that couldn't handle files larger than ~100KB out of the packaging. Both are the exception (the infant mortality part of the bathtub curve), and were replaced free of charge.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
That's a bummer! This seems quite premature. I've got 350 K clicks on my 7DMII so I'm living on borrowed time and expect it to fail at any time. Just picked up the R as a back up to tide me over until I see how things are going to shake out with the 7D line. I've had good luck with the longevity of my Canon's--my 7D died with 250 K clicks and it was only rated for 150 K. Hope they give you a break on the repair and a fast turn around.
Catherine

Upvote 0
Yeah I understand statistics, it just sucks I'm left of the bell curve
Sorry to know about your trouble.
Did you know that when MTTF for the shutter clicks is rated 400k, according to reliability theory only 38% of the cameras reach and surpass that! So theoretically it is more common to have it fail sooner. Even if we treat the camera well, we can only hope to be among the luckier ones.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Viggo.
What is the rationale for your statement? Is it written knowledge or personal experience or heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend who heard it from the cousin of a guy who’s brother in law works for Canon? :rolleyes:
I thought the shortened shutter lag was reduced by discarding some of the computation between button press and shutter release, not by changing the speed of the shutter. A shutter that is the fastest of the range at the time of release surely can’t work any faster?
I’m not suggesting for one moment that you are wrong, just trying to understand a little more about the workings of these incredibly complex pieces of engineering.

Cheers, Graham.

One thing not all people might know is that when activating “shortened shutter lag” your also shortening the life span of the shutter.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Hi Viggo.
What is the rationale for your statement? Is it written knowledge or personal experience or heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend who heard it from the cousin of a guy who’s brother in law works for Canon? :rolleyes:
I thought the shortened shutter lag was reduced by discarding some of the computation between button press and shutter release, not by changing the speed of the shutter. A shutter that is the fastest of the range at the time of release surely can’t work any faster?
I’m not suggesting for one moment that you are wrong, just trying to understand a little more about the workings of these incredibly complex pieces of engineering.

Cheers, Graham.

That was from Canon, I saw it in writing somewhere from Canon, but can’t remember where right now. But I was as surprised as anyone that it could be the case. I’ll look a bit more for the actual info.

Upvote 0
Well it finally happened and far earlier than expected. The mirror failed on my 1DX Mark II with 202k shutter clicks (rated for 400k).

The mirror is totally out of alignment and thus not sending the image to the AF sensors. I can still shoot in MF.

Hopefully CPS can turn this around quick as I’m heading to Denmark for the Cyclocross World Championships at the end of the month. View attachment 182747

Oh dear, that's a sight you don't want to see. I hope CPS can help you out. If nothing else then a loaner/rental.

In dire distress, contact DFA Service in Copenhagen who are authorized Canon, Nikon, & Sony repair center.
http://www.dfaservice.dk/

Upvote 0

kaptainkatsu

1DX Mark II
Sep 29, 2015
Oh dear, that's a sight you don't want to see. I hope CPS can help you out. If nothing else then a loaner/rental.

In dire distress, contact DFA Service in Copenhagen who are authorized Canon, Nikon, & Sony repair center.
http://www.dfaservice.dk/

Good to know about DFA Service. I am flying into Copenhagen. I SHOULD have this back before I fly out there. I did get it sent in quick enough that they would give me a loaner if it takes longer to repair. Also I do have an Evaluation EOS R coming so I wont be totally out of a camera.

Upvote 0

kaptainkatsu

1DX Mark II
Sep 29, 2015
Strictly speaking, isn't the rated shutter count for the, well, shutter only? I don't think Canon gives a rating for other mechanical parts, but of course one could reasonable expect them to last at least as long...

Yes true. However you would think the mirror box should be rated the same as the shutter.

Upvote 0

kaptainkatsu

1DX Mark II
Sep 29, 2015
Good to know that your camera back on time.

By the way, what is the website that we can check out Canon cameras shutter count?

Thanks.

There are many computer apps that will read the shutter count. I use ShutterCount on my mac. If you have a 1DX/1DX2, there is a menu option in the camera that shows shutter count. Also FYI, at least on the 1DX2, there is a separate Shutter Count and Mirror Count, but I believe that only canon can check that. It would be very similar unless you've had the mirror replaced or use live view a lot.

Upvote 0