1DX vs D4 sample

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
Finally received my 1DX today and after the battery was charged, my mom was nice enought to serve as my model today since my dauthers and wife are out for the week. I did those very quickly for my own use and tried to keep lighting fairly the same but you will see some variation of course. Please keep in mind those are actually the first shot coming out of my 1DX. Very impressive so far I must say.

The sample shown are 100% crop and were shot with a 50mm lens in all cases. The ISO dont all match because we did those very quickly and quite frankly, I am no pro. When I have more time I will do properly. The D4 has become my day to day camera for the past three months. Felt good to shoot with my Canon glass again :D!

I will delay judgment for later once I actually know how to use the 1DX and feel as comfortable with it as with my D4. For now I can say they are both amazing cameras well beyond my own capabilities :p. Two things that are stricking however is how much colors and metering are different between both cameras...

Samples shown next ...

Attachments

• 1DX-ISO100.jpg
    1DX-ISO100.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 5,659
  • D4-ISO100.jpg
    D4-ISO100.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 5,138
  • 1DX-ISO1250.jpg
    1DX-ISO1250.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 5,088
  • D4-ISO1800.jpg
    D4-ISO1800.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 5,087

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
marekjoz said:
Thanks for posting and your mom for posing. Is it only me, who seems to see more details at each ISO on 1Dx? Even at ISO 100, but it could be caused by higher contrast (and lower DR :) ). D4 @12800 is completely washed in comaprison to 1Dx. Except this ISO range skin colours seem to look better on Nikon.

Yes at a first look I did notice as well more details on the 1DX compared to the D4 at every ISO like yourself. Skin tone on those sample seem more natural on the D4, but lets keep in mind those were my first 5 minutes with the camera ever! Contrast is very different indeed with the 1DX but I had turned off options as auto light optimizer and high tone priority for example...

As for ISO 12,800 it is not that it is washed out on the Nikon at least not when I look at the fill full res, but the Nikon seem to overexposed compared the 1DX or 1DX seem to underexposed compared to the D4... I obviously need several more shots to familiar with it.

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
Bosman said:
The tones and colors go to crap! Thats what i love about the 5dm3, it stays pretty true to color balance at any iso, the same as the 1dx i'd guess and by seeing samples.
Thanks for posting.

Please keep in mind that every shot I have done was done in slightly different lighting playing with the curtens in the room. This is by no mean a control environment test since I did not have time to setup. This could explain greater delta then should between tones for similar ISO shots...

Upvote 0
You should be shooting in AV mode at all times. There's no way a D4 image should look that crap.

Are both colour spaces SRGB?

I believe Nikon's are over or under rated in their ISO. So ISO 100 on a 1DX will be more like ISO 170 on a Nikon. It's how they can fudge the high ISO figures as seem to be in front.

The above is just what I read somewhere.

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
wockawocka said:
You should be shooting in AV mode at all times. There's no way a D4 image should look that crap.

Are both colour spaces SRGB?

I believe Nikon's are over or under rated in their ISO. So ISO 100 on a 1DX will be more like ISO 170 on a Nikon. It's how they can fudge the high ISO figures as seem to be in front.

The above is just what I read somewhere.

Yeah I shot all of them using Av mode and they actually look better on my computer compared to the 800x533 smaple I posted here fpr some reason.

Upvote 0
JR said:
Bosman said:
The tones and colors go to crap! Thats what i love about the 5dm3, it stays pretty true to color balance at any iso, the same as the 1dx i'd guess and by seeing samples.
Thanks for posting.

Please keep in mind that every shot I have done was done in slightly different lighting playing with the curtens in the room. This is by no mean a control environment test since I did not have time to setup. This could explain greater delta then should between tones for similar ISO shots...
Doh! i retract my statement about color balance then but keep it with the color tones depth of color at high iso's.

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Is the wall white or gray? Its easy to fool any DSLR when a lot of white is in the scene, you need to use spot AF to set the proper colors. Otherwise, whites will be gray, and other colors off.

Good observation! Actually the wall is grey and now that you ask the question, I must say the actual wall color is much closer to how the 1DX rendered them. I do find the shadow part of the face on some of the 1DX to be too dark compared to the D4 however...

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
wickidwombat said:
for me just looking at those comparisons i think the skin tones, colour and contrast are better on the 1Dx
where as the D4 looks a little flat and washed out, (still fixable in post though)
which 50mm did you use on the nikon and which 50mm on the canon I think the glass is playing a big factor

I used the Nikon 50 1.4G for the D4 and used the Canon 50 1.2L for the 1DX. I wonder if using the 50 1.4 for the Canon instead of the 1.2L would be a better comparaison...

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
JR said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Is the wall white or gray? Its easy to fool any DSLR when a lot of white is in the scene, you need to use spot AF to set the proper colors. Otherwise, whites will be gray, and other colors off.

Good observation! Actually the wall is grey and now that you ask the question, I must say the actual wall color is much closer to how the 1DX rendered them. I do find the shadow part of the face on some of the 1DX to be too dark compared to the D4 however...
Only a serious photographrt has 17% gray card walls :)

Upvote 0
JR said:
wickidwombat said:
for me just looking at those comparisons i think the skin tones, colour and contrast are better on the 1Dx
where as the D4 looks a little flat and washed out, (still fixable in post though)
which 50mm did you use on the nikon and which 50mm on the canon I think the glass is playing a big factor

I used the Nikon 50 1.4G for the D4 and used the Canon 50 1.2L for the 1DX. I wonder if using the 50 1.4 for the Canon instead of the 1.2L would be a better comparaison...
probably at narrow apertures it will give a more even comparison
however wide open the nikon 501.4G will kill the old canon
the 50L would account for the better contrast and skin tone i think

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.