1DX vs D4 sample

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
psolberg said:
Interesting but I'll wait for dpreview for the overall picture and dxo for the DR/Color results and Loyd Chambers for the noise results ;)

not that I'd buy either camera as their resolution is far too low for anything I could live with now.

Wise decision ;), as I always said by no mean do I qualify as a reviewers nor was that an attempt to do a review. Interestingly last I played with the file a bit. In the shot I posted I apply the same basic settings from Lightroom (sharpness, NR - minimal, etc). It is clear to me now that the settings that worked with my D4 are not necessarily optimal for the 1DX.

For example on some of the sample I found I had too much contrast with the 1DX on the face (based on my personal preference), well that is because I was adding some contrast to the D4 file originally...

Anyway cant wait to redo some portrait shooting when I see my girls this week-end...

Upvote 0
JR said:
psolberg said:
Interesting but I'll wait for dpreview for the overall picture and dxo for the DR/Color results and Loyd Chambers for the noise results ;)

not that I'd buy either camera as their resolution is far too low for anything I could live with now.

Wise decision ;), as I always said by no mean do I qualify as a reviewers nor was that an attempt to do a review. Interestingly last I played with the file a bit. In the shot I posted I apply the same basic settings from Lightroom (sharpness, NR - minimal, etc). It is clear to me now that the settings that worked with my D4 are not necessarily optimal for the 1DX.

For example on some of the sample I found I had too much contrast with the 1DX on the face (based on my personal preference), well that is because I was adding some contrast to the D4 file originally...

Anyway cant wait to redo some portrait shooting when I see my girls this week-end...

@JR - anyway thanks for posting as we all know that this was not supposed to be a deep and detailed test but rather quick comparison of the results coming from both great cameras without true post optimization.

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
cpsico said:
Both look great, i prefer the metering of the 1dx as well as the color balance

@cpsico: I agree. I am also convince that you can get very similar result in post with both camera. Even the colors I was able to play with after the fact last night to make shots from both camera look very close for the skin tone part at least... I just ordered the new 40mm prime with the 24 2.8IS to try with the 1DX due to their light weight - man the 1DX is a heavy piece of machine - we sure are getting our money's worth per lbs ;)

@marekjoz: right, with proper post production, but camera can produce very similar result. I am very impressed with the noise level on the 1DX. Really seem finally on part with Nikon...

Upvote 0
Archangel72 said:
Here's the link with some interesting comparison between Canon 1Dx and Nikon D4.

Any guess who's the winner?

http://xerodigital.ca/canon-1dx-nikon-d4/

Archangel72 ;)

Wow, the white balance issues would kill it for me too, nothing worse than that, especially in a high output situation like weddings. I've heard terrible things about the D800 AWB too....

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.