1DX2 - 4k full frame with touch-to-focus

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Sometimes it's just better to buy something and use it and forget the dithering. Like my 6D.

This is funny but maybe it can be an encouragement to readers who are beginners and feeling overwhelmed. Within 3 years I've come from not knowing FF existed, what a crop factor and "reach" is, that expensive L glass is not 50% better than non-L and I could go on and on with lots of other embarrassing stuff. I was guided somewhat by a friend who had maybe 5 years of DSLR prior and was fairly sharp but within a couple years I was pointing out issues that he was relatively oblivious to.

Only after buying the 6D did I find out that it wouldn't be possible to get good photos because the AF was crappy, it only shot 4 fps and it HAD WiFi - seems that was the stupidest thing Canon ever did based on loud mouth comments around the Web. Well, my photos from start to present are on CR and overall they are pretty decent. ;D CR has been a great learning tool - thanks again to all contributors!

Boils down to: Get something and get out and enjoy it. There are work-arounds for most gear shortcomings.

Jack

Upvote 0
May 26, 2012
expatinasia said:
Switching from a camera shooting 4k to one shooting 1920x0180 may not look nice at all.

Saw footage yesterday mixing HD with 4k and even though the footage was played back on an HD projector, you could easily tell which was which. It didn't look bad, just a bit odd jumping from one to the other. I was surprised to see 4k played back at HD had more detail than native HD. I though downsampling might have levelled the playing field a bit more. If I didn't know it was a 4k source I would have thought it was HD that had a touch too much sharpening. (The projected image was maybe 6ft wide and I was about 7-8ft back from the screen.)

The Pro who took the footage had also borrowed an XC10 for a recent shoot. He's now buying one....and a lot of external storage - in one day of shooting he got 1Tb of video. :eek:

Upvote 0
GuyF said:
Saw footage yesterday mixing HD with 4k and even though the footage was played back on an HD projector, you could easily tell which was which. It didn't look bad, just a bit odd jumping from one to the other. I was surprised to see 4k played back at HD had more detail than native HD. I though downsampling might have levelled the playing field a bit more. If I didn't know it was a 4k source I would have thought it was HD that had a touch too much sharpening. (The projected image was maybe 6ft wide and I was about 7-8ft back from the screen.)

The Pro who took the footage had also borrowed an XC10 for a recent shoot. He's now buying one....and a lot of external storage - in one day of shooting he got 1Tb of video. :eek:

I am hearing some good things about the XC10, but also a lot of bad especially with regards to the menu system. Unusual for Canon as they are normally quite good with that. I think some will be disappointed that there was not a firmware update announced at NAB to address the menu.

I played with one recently, and it is a nice camera, but more than one Canon person I spoke to also mentioned the menu issues.

Even mixing 4K from the XC10 and 4K from the 1DX Mark II will look different.

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2012
expatinasia said:
GuyF said:

I am hearing some good things about the XC10, but also a lot of bad especially with regards to the menu system. Unusual for Canon as they are normally quite good with that. I think some will be disappointed that there was not a firmware update announced at NAB to address the menu.

I played with one recently, and it is a nice camera, but more than one Canon person I spoke to also mentioned the menu issues.

Even mixing 4K from the XC10 and 4K from the 1DX Mark II will look different.

4K and HD aren't homogeneous categories - mixing 4K from a cameraphone to the 4K from a C300mk2 would be a hell of a lot harder than mixing the C300mk2 with a C100's HD output, especially if you're final output is 1080p (the mk1 C100/300 record HD but have 4K sensors, with an in camera downconversion, which is part of why their HD footage looks so good).

You also want to think about the sensor size's you're thinking of matching though, the FF sensor in a 1DXII can give you a distinctive FF look if you shoot wide open with fast primes, but that will be harder to match with a S35/APSC camera (and then you could extend that to M4/3, 1 inch, cameraphone etc).

Difference in colour science also help/hurt when grading things, it's much easier (generally speaking) to match the grades between two Canon or two Sony cameras than one of each. A decent colourist can sort that out, but it takes some time. Which can break a tight budget, or just mean your hobby takes slightly more of your leisure time.

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
For those who understand Polish, this is a good link.
Basically they compare it with the 1DC and these guys seem to be satisfied with both quality and noise in high ISO for video. The only one thing they really miss is the C-Log.
One good news for me was that they shot 4K for few hours and the camera never gave them any trouble in terms of heating. They said that focus is very fast.

http://videodslr.pl/ms-video-studio-testuje-canona-1d-x-mk-ii/

Upvote 0